Big step forward

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday.

Picked up a Standard Modern 10". A machinist friend of my looked it over with me, and feels i got a well maintained good deal. It came with a lot of extras including
QCTP and about 8 holders.
Taper attachment
A custom built sphere cutter
Fitted with a D1-3 mount
Full set of collets
To chucks
A dremel fixture for the cross slide
And more

But holey jumping jehosaphats, is this thing heavy. Separated the base (cast iron) and the lathe. Three of us got it onto a fridge cart and into the back of my van. Last night I got the base out and inposition. Todays task is to get the lathe out and back up onto the base. I figure the lathe is weighing in at about 300 lbs.

I spent the evening, drawing on years of good old RCEME experience, coming up with a plan and a design for a one time use hoist. This morning my wife and I are putting the plan into action. Fingers crossed.

I know, no pictures, didn't happen. As soon as i get it in, I will take some photos.

I cant wait to learn how to make this thing sing. I will likely be asking lots of questions.

Wish me luck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow congratulations. That sounds like an awesome deal. Lots of bells and whistles with it. I will be looking forward to seeing some results.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well done on your early Christmas pressie.:biggrin:
Just take care lifting it. :wink: You don't want to spoil the fun by having a wrecked back for the next six months.:frown:

Curly

Congrats on your new toy. It's going to provide you with a ton of fun. Any chance you can say what it cost you?

You got any buddies with a hydraulic engine crane? Otherwise tool rental places have them and they are worth every penny if you bought one. Like this one at Princess Auto. Some places sell them for about $200 on sale.

Sappheiros

Nice! I'd like to hear what it cost as well, if you'll tell. I'm pretty new to woodturning, but I'd like to one day get a metal lathe as well!

darrin1200

Finally got it in and set up.

No injuries. It took the whole day, but i built a temp hoist on my wheeled workbench.
We got it out of the van easy enough, because we had left it attached to the cart. Just rolled it down the ramps into the shop. Used the ATV winch to control it.

Couldn't get the ATV into the shop, so I picked ip a 1 ton cable lift at Canadian Tire to use on my hoist.

It actually worked quite well. Marina and I got it lifted and bolted down without any major issues.

I even got a chance to turn some shavings off a piece if aluminum.

I thimk I got a good deal, $1750 with all the extras. I'll try to take some pictures of the accessories later.

Attachments

• 20151115_200022.jpg
    20151115_200022.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 20151115_200006.jpg
    20151115_200006.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 20151115_165158.jpg
    20151115_165158.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 20151115_173419.jpg
    20151115_173419.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 217

darrin1200

With the new toy, I need more information.

Can anyone recomend a good forum for beginners and hobbiest? I have heard that some of the forums only want professional interaction and frown on smaller machines.

I have heard of The Practical Machinist and The Hobby Machinist, any others?

JF36

I can't say much of other forums because this is the only one I've used, but if you search on youtube for the user named mrpete222 he has a series of great videos titled machine shop tips. They are all numbered and a lot of his earlier ones deal with lathe setup and operation.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great Purchase Darrin, it looks like a great all round size for pen making. Those two are the most common forums I know of.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yep, many of his older ones are really good......very old school, but very good.
He goes by the moniker Tubal Cain, but his name is Lyle Petersen.
There are several Workshop Practice books by a Tubal Cain, but not the same guy. The author was ( I think he's dead) a Brit.
Neither of them was the original Tubal Cain of course. If you are religious, the name may ring a bell...:wink:

Your lathe looks great, you will have years of pleasure with it.

If you want to do a bit of milling, then look into getting a Vertical Slide. It has pro's and con's but not expensive.

Good luck:biggrin:

I can't say much of other forums because this is the only one I've used, but if you search on youtube for the user named mrpete222 he has a series of great videos titled machine shop tips. They are all numbered and a lot of his earlier ones deal with lathe setup and operation.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Almost forgot.....another good place for lathe info is Steve Bedair's site. He has a section on 9x20s but there are tons of great links to other great sites. Especially good to see tools and mods for most generic lathes.:wink:

Top Bottom