big dog 7 x 14

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

Does anybody know anything about these lathes?

Big Dog 7x14

I know that they're very similar to the other 7x lathes out there, but they advertise that they've got over $200 of added stuff with them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
dow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

I just found a review of this lathe. Here it is.

7x14 Mini Lathe

according to the review, is not made by Sieg, but by Real Bull, another Chinese manufacturer. Pretty in depth review, although they are now selling it with a four inch four jaw Chuck, instead of the smaller the jaw one that is common.

BSea

Here's a place that has reviews of several mini lathes, and it includes the Big-Dog. This review is dated though, and the lathe as it sells currently has several options included.

Mini Lathe Reviews

Now I recently bought a Big Dog 7 x 14. And I'm a little embarrassed to say that it's still in the crate. There has been 1 thing after another come up. So I can't give you a ton of real world info, but I'll tell you why I went with this model vrs one of the others.

1st off, it does indeed come with many extras. Plus it comes with a 4" chuck vrs a 3". This may not seem that big of a deal, and maybe it's not, but the 4" chuck does have a larger bore, so you can use 3/4" stock through the spindle. You can't do that with a 3" chuck that most lathes come with.

And while the initial cost of a lathe is the tip of the iceberg, the high shipping from LMS kind of turned me off of their 7 x 12. If you go with the LMS model, be sure & read the shipping information.

Plus the Big Dog is a 7 x 14 compared to the 7 x 12of the LMS lathe. I know the Micro Mark is 7 x 16, but it's lighter than either the Big Dog or the one from LMS. The Big Dog has a bigger motor than the Micro-mark. Maybe not a big thing when it comes to pens, but in a lathe a bigger motor is a good thing.

I'm hoping when it gets a little warmer, that I can get this thing up and running. Right now, most of my shop time has been in short intervals due to my garage doubling as my shop. I can handle the heat a lot better than the cold.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

EDIT: I see you found it just before I posted this. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom