Better late than never!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

Hi All,

As promised here are a couple of pens off the new LMS 8.5 x 16 lathe.
One is a Wall Street II with stylus. It is aluminum 6061 T-6. The pen is just plain jane, but was an excersise on the new lathe. It worked beautifuly. In fact, I used 1/2" stock and ran the 27/64 drill thru in one slow pass lubricating with kerosene. The hole came out the other end durn near center. Next time I'll use a 5/16" pilot drill. All in all, I was very pleased with the performance of the lathe. The other pen is an Executive married to a piece of corian like material. The stock on it was also !/2" and pushing a 3/8" drill thru it is cutting it kinda close. Worked like a champ. Name was engraved with an old Hermes manual engraving machine. Didn't get the letters filled with white completely before photgraphing. To sum it up, as far as pen turning the little 7x12 Grizzly will do as well as the 8.5 x 16, but other things larger lurk on the horizon and thats where the 8.5 x 16 will earn its keep. I'm still need to accustom myself with the controls so that they are 2nd nauture. I am well satisfied with the new lathe and would wholeheartly reccomend it to anyone thinking about purchasing one.

Ben

Attachments

• P5240977.jpg
    P5240977.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 246
  • P5240980.jpg
    P5240980.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 235

Dan_F

Ben: Thanks for the review. I have been considering getting one of these, based on reports that the LMS models are much cleaner than most of the other small lathes - need very little in the way of fine tuning/de-burring and such.

Did you have to do much tinkering with it, or was it pretty much ready to work right out of the crate, with the exception of de-greasing?

Dan

BKelley

Dan,

I was very suprised, no red goop. It did have a coat of light oil and required only a good wiping down. I did purchase the QCTP and special mount bolt, after that it was ready to turn. There are several little things that are nice, felt way wipers on the carriage, stop bolt to keep the tailstop from sliding off. I don't like the shield over the chuck, I'm a big boy now and know how to remove the chuck key before turning on the lathe. Maybe after warranty period I'll bybass the safty switch connected to the shield. I like the tachometer and the tailstock locking cam lever. To answer your question, it required no tinkering or adjustments, I havn't checked run-out with a dial indicator yet, but what little turning I've done run out seemed acceptable. Feel free to ask any questions.

Ben

ironman123

Better late than never

Nice pens Ben. I really like the sleek look to the Aluminum pen. I kept my first aluminum pen as a work pen.

Keep it up.

Ray

Top Bottom