Which benchtop metal lathe do you own?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which model of benchtop lathe do you own?

• Total voters

dow

I'm currently doing the metal lathe research thing, and got to wondering what the breakup of brands and models that people are using to make pens with around IAP. So, I'm running a little poll. For budgeting sake as well as size considerations, I'm limiting the poll to lathes of less than 11 inch swing and which are available in the US. I'd also like to hear your likes/dislikes on your lathe. If you have more than one, then that's fine, list them. Obviously, I can't list every model out there, so I've put up the ones I've been looking at or that I've read mentioned recently.

Thanks!
Dow

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I'm currently doing the metal lathe research thing, and got to wondering what the breakup of brands and models that people are using to make pens with around IAP. So, I'm running a little poll. For budgeting sake as well as size considerations, I'm limiting the poll to lathes of less than 11 inch swing and which are available in the US. I'd also like to hear your likes/dislikes on your lathe. If you have more than one, then that's fine, list them. Obviously, I can't list every model out there, so I've put up the ones I've been looking at or that I've read mentioned recently.

Thanks!
Dow
Busy Bee 10 x 18

Rich L

One of the lathes I use is a 30 year-old Jet 1024. I'd have to go read the tag on the motor but it's a 110/220V ~1.5HP motor, belt driven, english and metric threading (with change gears). The only thing I don't like about it is having to shift the belt to change spindle speeds. I use it a fair amount and I've only needed to change the spindle drive belt once and that was after 25 years (B-size V-belt). It's been a real workhorse and I use it a lot to rough turn Damascus rods which really beats on the lathe - interrupted cuts. It's still turning just fine and I take care not to drop anything on the beds (flat and V) so they're still in perfect shape outside of the burnishing of age.

The picture shows an ER40 collet chuck stuck in the MT4 spindle taper. It came stock with 6 inch three and four jaw chucks, a back plate for oddball clamping, and a steady rest. Toolpost is a Dorian QITP25 (AXA). Picture was taken at around its 25th birthday. It weighs a good 5-600 lbs.

Attachments

• Jet-lathe-1-72.jpg
    Jet-lathe-1-72.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 11,181
Last edited:

PenPal

Two extraordinary Lathes not listed.

Hercus ( Southbend) Hercus Australia, Southbend USA. Prolific in either country 9 inch.

Taig (cult following around the world built in America for space age development.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,937
  • Mandrel and Taig Lathe-1.JPG
    Mandrel and Taig Lathe-1.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,101

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Currently I have 2 -Sherline 4400s 1 of which is bieng converted to cnc, 2 Atlas 6 x 18, 1-model 3950 and 1-model 10100 and a 9x 20. I am however using the Atlas 3950 as my main workhorse right now. The second atlas and the 9 x20 will have new owners by the end of the week. I used the sherline for many years but have outgrown its limitations.

bruce119

I voted Grizzly & Harbor Freight 7 x 12.

I have two 7 x 12 a Speedway & a Clark. Booth are the same except for color.

In fact just about all the 7 xs are made at the same factory in China. They different from suppliers only in some features and accessories.

Take a look here at LITTLE MACHINE SHOP

Bruce

dow

Thanks for all of the responses so far. I knew when I made out the list that I'd skipped Southbend and Atlas and a bunch not available in the USA, but since I've got to make this work in my budget (such as it is), I ended up with the list as it is.

Now it's just the next morning after setting this up, and I've already learned about brands that I'd never heard of before. :biggrin:

Dow, I have the Grizzly 9 x 19 BUT wouldn't recommend it to anyone! I wish I hadn't bought it and am looking around for a replacement.
Yeah George, I read about your experiences with your lathe, but figured that I'd better include it in the poll anyway.

Keep em coming, folks. I'm gaining in knowledge at an amazing rate. My head'll likely explode before lunch at this rate. :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

jd99

I don't really have a benchtop machine (I guess you could put it on a bench); but I didn't have room at home for a dedicated mill and a dedicated lathe, so I bought a smithy Granite 1324, and I put the DRO on it, it has the 5c collet adapter, and all the chucks (6 jaw, 4 jaw, 3 jaw, etc.), and I built a taper atachment for it.

At the shop we have Graziano 17/22 x 40 with Tracer, and thread indexer, and a Hardinge 11 x 18.

Timebandit

Dow, is $1600 your cap? I ask this because i believe the most expensive on your list is the PM 10x27. Its $1600 with free shipping. I have the PM 11x27 and couldnt be happier with it. If you can afford it, i would upgrade to it. Its $1699 plus $199 for shipping. So you would get out at around $1900. By doing this you will make a huge upgrade to a better machine. The bonuses you will have are Variable Speed, Power feed in both directions on the carriage ( left and right ), Power Feed on the cross slide, a 1.5 HP motor and a much stouter bed and frame. It comes with everything the other one does, all the accessories other than the stand. I put mine on a desk i had built.

dow

Dow, is $1600 your cap? I ask this because i believe the most expensive on your list is the PM 10x27. Its $1600 with free shipping. I have the PM 11x27 and couldnt be happier with it. If you can afford it, i would upgrade to it. Its $1699 plus $199 for shipping. So you would get out at around $1900. By doing this you will make a huge upgrade to a better machine. The bonuses you will have are Variable Speed, Power feed in both directions on the carriage ( left and right ), Power Feed on the cross slide, a 1.5 HP motor and a much stouter bed and frame. It comes with everything the other one does, all the accessories other than the stand. I put mine on a desk i had built.
Justin, at this point, my budget is much less than that. I'm trolling craigs list looking for that elusive "mis-labeled, misunderstood, or inherited by clueless people" gem that's out there waiting for me, lol. I actually ran across one this morning that's a steal (even if it does need a new tailstock). It's a PM 1027, and they're asking $500 for it. Unfortunately, it's over 500 miles away, and that's just a little bit out of my driving range (like 350 miles or so one way), especially without my knowing any more about metal lathes than I do. It'd be a shame to drive all that way, buy the silly thing and then get it home to find out that it needed $1000 worth of work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom