Beginner questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nrun

sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am totally new to pen turning, but would like to try my hand at it. I have a metal lathe, and plan to use some titanium that I have on hand. As a practice run, I thought I would first start with aluminum, since it's easier to work with. Is the best way to get started to try a slimline kit, and then just not use the brass tubes that come with it? Also, I presume I don't use a mandrel, correct? Finally, since I don't have a pen press or a vise that will get that big, is there some other reliable way to assemble the pieces? Should the pieces be press fit, or would people recommend some type of glue? thanks very much

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

williamcr

I use an arbor press and it works better than the vise and pen press that I have used.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Since you're using a metal lathe, get some taps and dies, turn your own pen parts and, drill and tap your holes. Cut a tenon and thread that part as well. No kits to buy. You can scrounge up some clips if you want them. Here are a few pics of some parts I'm referring to. Beginning with aluminum is a good idea in my opinion. Hope this helps. If you want to use kits, you can. May want to use a drop of glue if you press the parts in.

Attachments

• IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

AnachitlPut

sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am totally new to pen turning, but would like to try my hand at it. I have a metal lathe, and plan to use some titanium that I have on hand. As a practice run, I thought I would first start with aluminum, since it's easier to work with. Is the best way to get started to try a slimline kit, and then just not use the brass tubes that come with it? Also, I presume I don't use a mandrel, correct? Finally, since I don't have a pen press or a vise that will get that big, is there some other reliable way to assemble the pieces? Should the pieces be press fit, or would people recommend some type of glue? thanks very much
i use my drill press i just simply put a short dowl rod in it and a nother flast board under that and press it together never had a proplem with it.

nrun

Since you're using a metal lathe, get some taps and dies, turn your own pen parts and, drill and tap your holes. Cut a tenon and thread that part as well. No kits to buy. You can scrounge up some clips if you want them. Here are a few pics of some parts I'm referring to. Beginning with aluminum is a good idea in my opinion. Hope this helps. If you want to use kits, you can. May want to use a drop of glue if you press the parts in.

that sounds like a good approach. I don't actually like the clips anyway. Seems like Harbor Freight has some good bargains on tap and die sets. two more questions: what is a tenon? And also, (maybe this is it?) how do I get the pen part to go in and out? Or do you just make a cap so there is no movement of the pen refill?

76winger

Movement of the pen cartridge requires a transmission. It seems most of the kitless pens are made without a transmission and simply use a screw-on or snap-on cap.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF you want to make a pen that uses either the cross style refill or the parker style refill and you want it to twist in and out. You will need to buy the transmissions seperate or rob a kit. If you use a roller ball refill you make a cap that screws on or snaps on. The screw on being the easy way out. You dont need a full set of tap and dies if you wont use them for anything but pens. Although having a set can be handy for other things.

bluwolf

Not sure what I can add here but I guess it depends on your abilities with the metal lathe. Since I don't know, you could be a machinist for NASA and this stuff would be child's play. Or not...

Sounds like you haven't made a pen yet. So yes, you could start with a kit to kinda get a feel for it all. In your case, with the metal lathe, you could start with a simple slimline. You can do it either way, with the tubes or not. If you use the tubes or are good at machining press fits then you could assemble like most folks do. I always used a drill press so I like that idea for pressing in the parts.

You could use a mandrel or make a couple bushings and turn it between centers. Again, several ways you can go.

Or you can jump in at the deep end as Chuck suggests, and just make your own kitless pens. If so, I would take Mike Redburn's advice and just buy a few taps and dies of decent quality to get you started. You'll need a couple simple tools to use on your lathe for tapping and dieing (I don't think that's a real word). If that's the route you want to go, let us know and we'll post a couple links to those couple of tools.

Maybe a little bit of your background to get an idea of your skills and equipment. Then everyone will have a better idea of where to start helping you. Just my opinion.

nrun

Not sure what I can add here but I guess it depends on your abilities with the metal lathe. Since I don't know, you could be a machinist for NASA and this stuff would be child's play. Or not...

Maybe a little bit of your background to get an idea of your skills and equipment. Then everyone will have a better idea of where to start helping you. Just my opinion.

I don't have much skill, but I have worked out the basics of turning, facing, and thread cutting on the lathe (a 7 x 12). Have had it for a while, but I have to admit the majority of my work has been on the lathe itself, fixing up the parts so it runs smoothly, etc. I also have spent a fair bit of time learning how to make the cutting tools from HSS blanks. I believe I can make the parts for the pen, but I was not sure how people make their own transmissions. However, using a cap instead should be much simpler. Yes, I'd be interested in basic tutorials on pen making from scratch, and also links to good tap/die sets would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all of the help!

bluwolf

These are the couple of tools you will need for taps and dies on the lathe.

Die Holder

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2314&category=

Tap Guide

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1963&category=

As for the taps and dies themselves, this becomes a bit of personal preference thing. There are no hard and fast rules. You can use just about anything you want. Some like to work with SAE stuff, some with metric.

To make it even a little more complicated there are also triple start tap and dies sets that were purchased in a couple of group buys a little while back. These give you the ability to make the same kinds of threads for the cap and barrel as are used on a lot of the high end pen kits. They are not cheap compared to regular taps and dies. A 3 start tap and die set was around $125 when they did the group buy. I believe Mike Redburn may have some extra sets that he bought for people who didn't get in on the group buy.

The you have to decide whether you're going to make rollerball pens or fountain pens. If fountain pens then you'll need some specific taps. I'll let someone else fill you in on those. If rollerballs, you need to decide whether you're going to make your own nibs or use ones from a kit. If making your own, than again it's whatever you want. If kit nibs there are a couple of different taps.

Do a search for "kitless pens" and "taps and dies". that should get you a bunch of threads about making them. I'm sure there is stuff in the Library as well. This will get you started. I'm sure others might be able to point you to a lot of specific things. HTH a little.

graham murfin

Hi
I just use 2 collared pieces of hardwood one in chuck the other over the back spindle and press the bits together with turning the drilling handle, yes u will need mandrel or your bore might not be concentric any u need for polishing o/d anyway, unless you are parting the finished piece off.
graham

Top Bottom