BC Ames lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Greetings from Spokane! I don't know anything about the brand, so I can't help you on that. (maybe its something special, but I just don't know.) However, in general, I can tell you that on this side of the state we see CL postings for old lathes like this quite frequently, and usually for considerably less money....in the $100 range. The problem is that unless you have a spare motor handy, the cost of putting something together is usually more than its worth in time, parts and aggravation. You need a belt, and usually these lathes have to be attached to a board or bench (I couldn't tell from the photo if the one leg was slightly bent, too) and by the time you clean them up, get the rust off, and put everything together, it never seemed worth the time or money to us.

Again, in this market, these lathes are normally posted and reposted several times before they either come down in price, or are sold for far below asking price, or the buyer gets discouraged and gives up. Unless this brand is something really special, or if the market on the west side is hot, I don't think its likely to sell for that price.

I hope this helps in your decision process.

I found a site that has basic info on them. The drive system is made up of a lot of pieces. The company was in business from the early 1900's to 1948. There was a lot of cool accessories that were made for it. It uses a hexagonal collet, not sure if one can still get them for that lathe. Didn't notice the bent foot. Definitely wouldn't give anything over $100 for it. Don't see many parts on ebay. Over here the people who know what a metal lathe is worth ask a lot for them and the people that don't know ask a lot more.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Those kind of lathes are money pits. Some times "old" is just old not valuable antique. Unless you collect old lathes as a hobby this is a boat anchor. We have a lathe posted on craigslist that is supposed to be from the chrysler plant. To me that means it was abused by people that didnt care because they didnt own it.
Engine Lathe
He wants $2995 for his. Maybe Antique road show appraised it for him.

I saw adds for 2 others that are complete one has all the pieces but no cabinet and they want $5000. the other is assembled and working and they want $600 but the first is listed as museum quality.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
One of the problems with old lathes is "do you know where to look and what to look for". A lot of the old lathes are better off turned in to parts. If you dont know where to look for the critical wear, which parts are not available, or whats cosmetic as opposed to real damage. You can buy a lathe that will cost you more to fix than you could have bought a new one for or at least a well maintained used one. Bed wear, spindle bushing or bearing wear. Some lathes have parts that are no longer made and were prone to excessive wear or breakage. Gears? I have seen a listing in craigslist for an Atlas lathe where the guy selling it claimed it was rebuilt. Hell the paint job over the rust was so bad you could see it in his pictures, you could also see the handles were broken off as well. i have looked at a couple bigger Atlas and SouthBend lathes but the asking price was half of a new 1236 complete.

Paul in OKC

Actually had the bed and head stock to one of those a few years ago. Couldn't find any parts to put it together so it went in the scrap heap. Heavy, heavy, heavy. Oh, Did I say HEAVY!

I'm going to pass on this one. If it was possible to find parts I wouldn't mind putting in the time and money to restore it and use it. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom