Basic question for metal components

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

Question about making a pen with one part wood and the other metal (steel, brass, or aluminum). Do you drill the hole for the tube that comes with kit or do you discard the tube and drill to fit the connecting parts?? Am curious if gluing in the soft tubes helps (keep from damaging the brass assembly parts).
BTW, I do have metal lathe
Thanks,
Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Keep the tube as it acts as a stable skeleton for the pen.

Also, unless you make your own bushings, they fit snuggly in those too.

Maybe if you make kitless or all metal pens, you can think about doing away with the tube.:biggrin:

Skie_M

Yes ... the softer metal tubes (brass tubes) can expand a bit when the pen components are pressed in.

If you are working with unyielding materials, like stone pen barrels, then you will want to sand down the components where they mate up with the tube, or ream/sand out the tubes for a much looser fit, and locktite them in place rather than press fit. The pressures of a press fit will crack most types of stone.

Alternatively, attempting to press parts into a much harder barrel material could give you headaches later ... even pressing a part into an all-brass barrel was a major issue for me, recently!

The pen I sent off to Doug (Alankulwicki) was a gold finished slimline in solid brass .... each barrel (upper and lower) was composed of 51 separate 1/4" brass washers press fit on the brass barrel (reamed out with 1/4" drill bit till they barely slipped onto the barrel). After the turning was finished, I coated the barrels with CA and gave it a matte finish ... if the CA were removed, you'ld see a highly polished finish on the pen. Pressing the parts to the pen were extremely difficult, as the brass barrel was now reinforced by a LOT of solid brass, and simply didn't want to move. At several points, I was afraid I might not be able to even press the twist mechanism in far enough, but it went in, in the end. That pen will very likely fail to properly disassemble, even with the appropriate tools and kits, it's just way too tight a fit.

Attempting to press your parts into a solid steel barrel would give you similar headaches ... I don't recommend it.

More4dan

I press fit all the time into metal bodies. With a metal lathe you can bore the holes to just fit the components. I've even press fit parts into heat treated Damascus steel. You can also bore the ID to just slip fit the components and glue then in.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I am going to try this on my Damascus pens, just a few, for testing the fit and finish. I am currently using the brass tube but when I mic it the tolerances are so widely off that they wont sit centered in the blank once glued. I will write a post on my findings and tolerances I used for the fitting.

jttheclockman

I am going to try this on my Damascus pens, just a few, for testing the fit and finish. I am currently using the brass tube but when I mic it the tolerances are so widely off that they wont sit centered in the blank once glued. I will write a post on my findings and tolerances I used for the fitting.

Be careful on the componets. Not all made the same. May not stand up to the pressure of pushing in. Unless you are gluing in then that is a different story with other possible failures or success.

More4dan

Fitting directly to the blank helps keep everything centered. If using the glued in brass tube you need to turn your metal blank after attaching the tube to ensure the components are centered in the final shape

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom