Baileigh VS Precision Matthews

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Which metal lathe appears to work out better? As far as features and Add-on Accessories/capable are concerned.

Baileigh lathe

or

Precision Matthews

I am torn between both of these lathes. But I really like the extra features that the Baileigh has to offer, my only concern is the spindle bore on the Baileigh seems non-existent. Can anyone help shed a little light on this? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
The first one is a Chinese clone and is identical to my Chester DB10VS
It certainly does have decent spindle bore. 26mm in fact. I love my machine but sometimes I wish I got it's slightly longer bed big brother.

Edit in; Seamus, I just had a look at the second one. Looks very similar too except it has the cross slide power feed. But looking at the package prices, I'd go for the first one as it includes the milling head for only around $400 extra.
I have never made anything that I thought may have benifited by having a power cross feed. ( facing cuts ) in fact I only use the carriage feed for thread cutting long threaded rods.

Are you getting the metric or imperial version. I think the metric versions are shown as they don't show dial indicators.
Metric is the way to go IMNSHO:biggrin:

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Those are both pretty serious machines. Hope you plan to use them for more than pens. Good luck which ever way you go, but I'm sure you'll have fun with either.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Have you decided on either of these machines Seamus? Did you already know they were Chinese? ( not that that is a problem really ):)

seamus7227

Yeah, I decided that while I really wasn't that Baileigh, that I should learn on something less expensive and as I get more experience and learn of all the features that truly apply to me, them I can make a better decision on a better investment! I think for right now I'm gonna go with Micro mark 7x16 and get all of the extras I need for right at $ 1100 shipped.

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well Ok Seamus, I'm sure you will enjoy playing with that little machine and hope you don't regret getting something bigger straight away.
Personally, I think someone of your calibre will have an extremely short learning curve and will out grow that one very soon. :wink::biggrin:

How about spending your budget on a bigger secondhand machine?

seamus7227

I've been looking around for used metal lathes on ebay and craigslist but nothing that really looks to be in very good condition and they all want way too much money for what looks like a rust bucket. I think you are right about possibly regretting a smaller choice, which then leads me to think that i should continue to search and put more thought into this. I really like the looks of that Baileigh lathe, but then i also like the $5K South Bend lathe too. Decisions decisions. I was over at Don's house yesterday and we were piddlin' with his lathe( that has yet to be fully cleaned) and I think i like the variable speed route(his is not). My wood lathes have all been variable and i just love that feature.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I know a lot of folks say get the bigger one. The smaller ones are great to learn on, can make just about any pen you have seen on this site and if you take care of it, will hold its value in case you want to trade up. Why do you think there are so few good deals on used small lathes? I've had my 7 x 12 for 5 years and while there are a very few times I could have used a larger for things other than pens, it still meets all my pen making needs and then some. The small ones are easy to work on, have plenty of spare parts and accessories available, and can't hurt you as much physically or dollar wise if you err on the learning curve. Many have been successful with either path. You could be very happy with the Micromark 7 x 16 while you're waiting to win the lottery.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL Seamus, don't listen to my old buddy Bruce......or me for that matter!!!:biggrin:
Naturally we are both biased because of what we already have.

Do what you feel is right......

(get the big one !!! )

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Seamus, I started out with a 7x12 Micro then decided to take the plunge to a 9x20 when one came available. Two things made me go to a new 7x16 Micro. The hold down bolt on the tail stock, and variable speed. I move my TS quite often. You may be able to find the larger lathe that has these features. They may not matter to you, but it did to me. Sorry Steven!

seamus7227

:hypnotized::hypnotized::bananen_smilies035:LOL, the force is strong at the moment! My compulsiveness wants to take over so badly and buy the big 'un but i just caaaaaaaaaant, must resist the force!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you decide to go with a bigger machine Do the PM1127 big bore all the way. Mike Roux has the PM1236 and it is one nice machine. When I have something larger than my little Atlas will handle I head for Mikes. I have debated the 1127 and the 1236 and as long as I have access to Mike's lathe there in no reason to make a choice. Besides It gives me a reason to go see Mike once in awhile.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Seamus, you can also get a 4" chuck which has a larger bore hole to accept 3/4" stock. Just in case you decide on the smaller lathe.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Shars.com also has a 4 jaw scroll chuck that you buy an adapter plate to fit your machine for around a $100.00 and shipping.

dgscott

I feel your pain. I currently use a 9x20 HF, suitably modified, and it's fine. Not everything I want, but fine. A couple of things I'd like:
1. I'd like to do without change gears. Changing gears is a pain in the tush.
2. I'd like a more stable (as in ROCK SOLID) cross slide/compound. I've replaced the piddly plate that the cross slide was mounted on originally, and it's better, but not perfect.
3. I'd like less play in both the carriage and cross slide.
4. I'd like a real carriage lock.
5. I'd like a cam on the tailstock.

Never felt the need for a power cross slide. Never thought much of combo machines (I have definitely fallen in love with my Taig CNC mill, tho, and wouldn't want it on, around, or above my lathe).

While I, too, like the look of the South Bend 10, I think $5k for a lathe is exorbitant, especially as it's not USA made. Pretty, lovely fit and finish, to be sure, but there is as much lathe out there for far less. The Eisen 1236 is made in Taiwan, looks breathtakingly similar to the SB, costs far less and weighs more.

My limitations are as much a factor as anything else -- I can't import 220v into the shop without a major upgrade in service, and whatever I bring in or out has to be elevated up four steps and maneuvered around some corners. Any 12x36 will need an engine hoist and more young hands and strong backs than my wife and I can produce.

So I work my 9x20 which, as I said, is fine. I think the bottom line is that we all get used to working with both the benefits and limitations of what we have. Whatever you wind up with, take it apart as soon as you get it, put it back together again and get to know it intimately and, if your situation is anything like mine, offer continual thanks to the life partner who tolerates your obsessions. Find out exactly what it can do and what "work arounds" you will need to develop to honor its limitations (the lathe, not the life partner). Frankly, I've found that's where I have gotten most of my satisfaction ("Wow! I did it anyway!").

I'm no expert, but that's my $0.02.

Doug

Last edited:

RogerBean

You might want to take a look at the 8.5 x 16 from Little Machine Shop. It also has a power cross feed and a variable speed DC motor... and a lot of other stuff. I have one and love it. I also have a big geared head toolroom lathe and a mini lathe, but the LMS machine is the one I go to for pen work. Hope this is helpful.
Roger

Last edited:

Gilrock

I like the looks of that Precision Matthews lathe. I wish I had saved my money. My Jet 9x20 is fine for plastic and aluminum but throw a piece of steel at it and it starts to cry and wants it's rattle. I'd find it hard to believe that an 85lb 7x16 lathe would do much better on steel. I know there will always be some minimalist saying it works just fine but I know one thing....they are taking baby cuts on each pass and I'd sure love to see a video of them parting off a 3/4 in steel rod. The only smaller lathe I've seen that gave me the impression it was good at handling anything tougher than aluminum is the South Bend 8K lathe.

Texatdurango

You might want to take a look at the 8.5 x 16 from Little Machine Shop. It also has a power cross feed and a variable speed DC motor... and a lot of other stuff. I have one and love it. I also have a big geared head toolroom lathe and a mini lathe, but the LMS machine is the one I go to for pen work. Hope this is helpful.
Roger

Roger, can you (or anyone) give one example where that would be a nice feature. I thought about this the other day and for the life of me can't think of one time this would come in handy unless I'm making a small platter and wanted to put the cut on "auto pilot" as it makes the face cut across the piece.

RogerBean

Texatdurango: I probably didn't pick the best feature there. In pen work, I really don't use it. The power cross feed is actually there to accommodate the milling machine attachment (the lathe is actually a Sieg SC4), but it also offers a slow finishing feed in addition to the regular half nut engagement. Thus giving both a roughing and finishing feed speed without changing gears. Also has a cam-lock tailstock. The variable speed DC motor has a lot of torque for a small lathe.

My real point is just that a big lathe is not as comfortable to use for pen work as something smaller. I just can't see myself having much fun making pens on my 12x36 geared head toolroom lathe. Great for turning and threading gun barrels, but a monster for pens.

My mini-lathe is fine too, but the 10 inch c to c distance is a pain when drilling pen blanks. And the lack of a cam lock tailstock was a grunt. (since remedied) But it does work. The Micro Mark 16 is not a bad choice in this size range.

In short, the power cross feed is not a big deal to me. But the power longitudinal feed is really handy. I have no complaints on the LMS 8.5 x 16, and at 200lb it's more than twice the heft of a mini lathe.

However, no argument, if you want to cut big stuff... get a big lathe.
Roger

Texatdurango

Skippy, have you been dipping your snout in the peanut butter jar again?

LOL George, it's my new muzzle. Do you like it? I got it for my 6th IAP anniversary ( which is now ):biggrin:
Six years of making the best pens the forum has ever seen... Wow! I don't know which I'm impressed with most, your humor, your instructional talent or your pen making talent!

Roger, thanks for explanation. I have the Grizzly 9 x 20 and while everyone is weighing in on their machines, one thing I don't like about my lathe is the lack of rigidity of the cross slide or whatever it is that holds down the quick change tool post. I find that even with taking light cuts with a boring bar 2.2" deep that my post "shakes" a little and while taking >020 cuts from acrylic blanks, I can make one pass, change nothing and make another pass and still remove some shavings then change nothing and make a third pass and quite often still remove some fuzz. That tells me the tool post is "giving way" to the material being cut. Something is sloppy somewhere!

My next lathe will be the most sturdy lathe I can find in my budget regardless of the size.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
George, I'm assuming your lathe still has the two bolt compound clamp plate? These are notorious for poor performance and it is generally accepted that making a four bolt replacement is one of the first projects to do on your new lathe. :wink:
Except when threading, I don't move the compound, so I simply nip up the one little screw that doesn't have the locking nut. This as well as the 4 bolt clamp tend to get rid of 99% of the chatter when making serious cuts like deep parting.

We will always all defend our individual choices as to which machine is best. I bolt all sorts of gizmos and gadgets to mine and need the space.
I also prefer change gears instaed of a fixed box. It allows me to create long slow spirals and other fun stuff that you simply can't do with a fixed box. But to each his own.:biggrin:

Gilrock

Well I've got the 9x20 and have done the 4 bolt modification and the QCTP modification and I've had similar complaints with it not seeming rigid enough. Maybe the other small lathes are better...I wish I had access to some to try out. I've cranked down the gib screws on my compound slide which helped out a little. That at least got me to the point where I have no problems parting aluminum. Steel still gives me headaches. If I had a mill I think I'd make something that replaced the compound slide with a rigid assembly.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Heavy parting cuts are the bane of all machinists. Fortunately they are one of the rarer jobs.
Here is a link to a set of three videos that taught me that parting is as much about technique and attitude than about the machine.

Gilrock

Cool I'll check those video out later...I got no sound at work. I do believe the part about "attitude". Cause right now my attitude is "scared" when I'm parting. :) I have my left hand on the emergency stop at all times. I've seen blades shear off and had things dig in and twist the tool post sideways. Parts ripped out of the chuck.

Top Bottom