Anybody Know These Threads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Joe, you don't need a tap. You order the QCTP that coincides with the size of your lathe. Such as, 7x or 9x or 12x . Mine is a 7x16 Hope this makes sense.

ironman123

Joe, on that site it gives the thread sizes for each tool post. Go into the details and read the chart. All on the same page.

Ray

randyrls

Joe; It depends on your lathe size. Many QCTP come with a "sleeve" with an internal thread to adapt it to the size of lathe you have.
This link shows one approach.
http://www.phase2plus.com/images/MW_James_Johnson_article.pdf

Little Machine Shop has many of the adapters for sale.
QC Tool Posts: Accessories - LittleMachineShop.com

Added later. Just remembered you got a new Grizzly lathe. I would just send them an email and ask which one would fit your lathe. I believe it will fit in the groove in the top of your compound slide BUT CHECK THE MEASUREMENTS!

Last edited:

Joe S.

I'm sure it's obvious that I have NO idea what I'm doing, but here is what I think is going on. Tool posts are held in by the T-slot that is small but visible in this picture:
WP_20140330_001.jpg
The bolt that holds the tool post in is too small/short for the QCTP, it needs the be the one that is included as shown here:
WP_20140330_002.jpg
My thought was to drill and then tap the T-slot insert to fit the larger bolt to attach the QCTP.

That sleeve idea looks like it would work, I just need to find one.

Getting another slot with the threads I need from grizzly is another option (I din't think they would have one...)

I briefly checked the site and must have missed the thread size, taking another look now.

lorbay

When I did mine I used a peice of All Threaded rod close to the size that came with the QCTP and got it in Imp size where I had a tap for.

Lin.

Joe S.

To answer my original question, 9/16"-18 tpi.
I think I'll go with the adapter sleeve thing, Thank you everyone who helped my through this!

rherrell

I'm sure it's obvious that I have NO idea what I'm doing, but here is what I think is going on. Tool posts are held in by the T-slot that is small but visible in this picture:
View attachment 113421
The bolt that holds the tool post in is too small/short for the QCTP, it needs the be the one that is included as shown here:
View attachment 113420
My thought was to drill and then tap the T-slot insert to fit the larger bolt to attach the QCTP.

That sleeve idea looks like it would work, I just need to find one.

Getting another slot with the threads I need from grizzly is another option (I din't think they would have one...)

I briefly checked the site and must have missed the thread size, taking another look now.

That's what I did.

JTisher

Just have the new t nut machined to fit the top slide t slot and your good to go. Or make a new bolt. You just have to shim your tool up to center height.

Joe

Top Bottom