Another lathe for my shop, maybe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I just was offered this lathe, it is on the condition that he doesn't need it. Anyone have any opinions on this one? It is an old South Bend and has everything you see with it in the picture. It works fine and even has the original owners manual. The guy is asking $700 for it.

Attachments

• lathe2.jpg
    lathe2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 529
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

If you look around Craigslist etc., you will find when listed they usually don't come with the collet or taper attachments for that price. You will easily get your money back if you go to sell it whole and more if parted out. Assuming it isn't badly worn it will do everything you need to make pens and more. I would buy it.

cwolfs69

yep those are mold boxes for sand casting. boy i would sure love to come across a deal like that. old south bends are just about bullet proof and the price is phenomenal for that machine unless something really hidden shows up.
i would almost drive to Connecticut to pick that one up myself. need a good metal lathe soon.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
yep those are mold boxes for sand casting. boy i would sure love to come across a deal like that. old south bends are just about bullet proof and the price is phenomenal for that machine unless something really hidden shows up.
i would almost drive to Connecticut to pick that one up myself. need a good metal lathe soon.
I think the price he gave me is a special price for an old friend...LOL

And you guys ..quit looking around the shop, the casting stuff is not for sale and I should have probably edited that out so forget you saw it.:biggrin:

PenPal

Neil,

I have a 1969 Hercus, these were made in Australia as a copy from South Bends drawings as a cooperative venture prior to WW2 and after. I have most of and more bits and regard it as a VIP machine in my workshop.Most parts are the same mine is driven in whats called a P Pattern overhead drive, yours will be driven underneath (takes up less room).

There are forums in America devoted to these South Bend lathes. Some are ball race shafts and others like mine other bearings.

On the Aussie site look up U Beaut Forum and Metal Work sub section Hercus as well.

Go for it if you can, if you excuse me I show my lathe on a clean day.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 382

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Went and made a cash offer on it today and was told that he will decide whether he is going to sell it some time next week, I'll be banging on his door Monday.

Top Bottom