Amtools.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

Greetings

Has anyone dealt with this tool website,?5C Collet Chuck
I am shopping for a 5C collet chuck for my 7x12 C3 and they have a good price.

My second question is, does anyone know what backplate fit on the 5C chuck and the lathe. I'm guessing that the mounting pattern for all 5" collet chucks are the same and that I just need to find the compatible backplate.

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

I ordered an ER32 collet set for a 7x12 from them about a year ago. Being in LA, I expected a quick shipment as I'm only one day away via UPS. After two weeks, I sent an email. No reply. Then I sent another email 3 days later. Again, no reply. About 3 days later, my order suddenly arrived.

Although they did finally deliver, it was frustrating not to have emails answered. They did not have a telephone number listed which I wanted to use first before emails. So I won't use them again.

JTisher

I'm not positive about it, but I think if your able to fit a 5c collet chuck on a 7 x lathe you would lose almost half of your distance between centers. Not to mention a lot of strain on the headstock bearings.

If you do go this route, buy a plain back chuck and you'll have to make your back plate. Speedy Metals Online Industrial Metal Supply sells 6" round x 1" cast iron. Cut it dry, with sharp hss tools and be ready for a mess. It does cut easy though.

Good luck and take lots of pics

Joe

sbell111

As I understand it, this site is run by the guy (who's name escapes me) that many of us used to buy collets from off ebay. Back then, the rule was that he didnt ship super fast nor did he return emails, but he always came through, his stuff was good, and his prices were good.

Now why can't I remember his ebay nom de plume?

Penultimate

Thanks for all your help and advice. After taking your comments into consideration I decided to get a 4 jaw chuck from LMS. I think it will be more versatile and won''t take up as much space as a 5C collet. Thanks.

Jim, I always search before asking questions so I don't **** anyone off. However in this case I didn't find anything useful. My searching technique on this site is lacking and I will work at getting better.

Penultimate

New toys for old toys

I sold off some of my vintage toys like GI Joe and got some new toys from Little Machine Shop. I got a 4" four jaw chuck, 3" toolmakers vise for my mini mill and a concentricity indicator. As soon as our basement is remodeled I'm gonna play.
Thank you all for your advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 132
Top Bottom