Advice needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been looking at metal lathes and I really would like to get one. I have absolutely no experience with them but i have always wanted to learn.
The lathe that I am leaning toward is the 8.5x16 from Little Machine Shop.
If anyone has this lathe would you mind sharing your experience with it.
I have also looked at tooling and something caught me eye is the Diamond Tool
Holder with the grinding jig for HSS, if anyone has used this what do you think about it.
Thanks
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

designer

Buy the best one you can afford. They will require less "rebuild" over their less expansive units.

I know one person that has this one and it needed a lot of work to get it going accurately. Once done though it is a good lathe and holds sizes. You cannot push it because of push back though. Just take your time.

Another friend has the big dog lathe. Out of box it was just cleaned up and put to work. Minor adjustments and it is a great little lathe.

I am planning on the Southbend (8K) 8 X 18" after looking at it. It is well built and should last longer than I will. Someone in my will can enjoy it after me.

Curly

I have a Diamond tool holder and it works as advertised. Once you get comfy with the lathe you get you can learn to grind HSS tools to cover the few things the tangental won't. I want to get some more.

Last edited:

designer

Yes, turning wood and acrylic is like cake and pie. Piece of cake and easy as pie.

Wood does tend to build up in the way wipers and get packed in. If not kept very clean, it will turn to concrete eventually. The other problem is when the wood dust gets trapped under the way wipers it is corrosive. That will eventually ruin the ways or require that you clean or possibly have to scrape them if not careful.

Top Bottom