Advantage to a metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

There are lots of advantages to a metal lather. I lost a bushing so I got out the calipers and piece of stainless and made my own. I just wish mine had taper capabilities.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

I learned that with a metal lathe if a bushing is oversized and out of round you can fix the bushing at the same time you turn the pen.

The corollary to this is that the metal lathe will also happily remove material from things you didn't intend to remove material from. Some people might consider this a disadvantage rather than a design opportunity.:biggrin:

Daydreaming or getting distracted with the power feed on can get exciting!! :eek:

Ed

Haynie

I learned that with a metal lathe if a bushing is oversized and out of round you can fix the bushing at the same time you turn the pen.

The corollary to this is that the metal lathe will also happily remove material from things you didn't intend to remove material from. Some people might consider this a disadvantage rather than a design opportunity.:biggrin:

Daydreaming or getting distracted with the power feed on can get exciting!! :eek:

Ed

I hear this is true, but it never happened to me. I intended to shave that bushing down.:tongue:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Chris, shame on you for even saying, let alone using, stock bushings when you have a metal lathe!!!!!! :)

There are lots of advantages to a metal lather. I lost a bushing so I got out the calipers and piece of stainless and made my own. I just wish mine had taper capabilities.

Why can't you do tapers? Top slide for short tapers, tailstock for long ones. If your tailstock can't move then use a boring head in the TS with a rounded pin. :)

Haynie

Hey skip. I would love tapering capabilities. When things calm down in a couple months I will pick your brain on how to do this.

You're going to stick with your story when the tool bit hits the chuck jaws or the jaws hit the carriage, :eek: :crying: right? :wink:

What do you think pulled my attention away from the hottie in a bikini waxing her boat? Every once in a while I see the positive part to running a boat storage facility. Now, before I get called a pig you gents would have been doing the same thing. When the jaws get hit it makes a terrible racket. I was damn lucky I did not screw up the chuck.

Last edited:

Chris, shame on you for even saying, let alone using, stock bushings when you have a metal lathe!!!!!! :)

Why can't you do tapers? Top slide for short tapers, tailstock for long ones. If your tailstock can't move then use a boring head in the TS with a rounded pin. :)

I'm sorry, I'm still new at this. Nobody told me. :biggrin: I am having a lot of fun making ribbons of steel. So far only one useful part. A pin to hold a cover on. The original one looked a lot like a wood screw. I have a quick change tool post on the way. Then I need to find out what kind of cutters to buy. Also find out what I have. The funny part is the part of pen making I like the least is the turning and now the metal lathe can do it for me.

plantman

I have both types of lathes, but use my mini metal lathe for most pen turnings. One of the reasons is the accurate straight line cutting to within 10,000th of an inch. No tools too hold, just turn the wheel and the cutter does the work. You can add the tool rest and use any hand tools you want to shape your blank. You can build a wood lathe with a metal lathe but not the other way around. You will enjoy the metal lathe once you get to know how it works. Jim S

plantman

My quick change tool post just came in. Now to make it fit and find out what cutters I need.

On the Mini Metal lathe I have only needed a HS 1/4" square cutting bar ground with compound angles to cut ribbons off of wood, plastic, and metals. Make sure your piont is sharp and crisp. If you are going to cut stainless I would suggest carbide. Jim S

thewishman

What do you think pulled my attention away from the hottie in a bikini waxing her boat? Every once in a while I see the positive part to running a boat storage facility. Now, before I get called a pig you gents would have been doing the same thing. When the jaws get hit it makes a terrible racket. I was damn lucky I did not screw up the chuck.

Not only a terrible racket, but loose teeth and a split lip.:eek:

Kaspar

I haven't run into anything pen related I can't do with the top slide travel. Even for something for like a main pen body you can just taper one section, then move the carriage down and taper the next till they meet.

Top Bottom