Accessories recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brh

I am getting ready to pull the trigger for a LMS 8.5x16 lathe with their tooling package. I will also order a dial indicator and taps/dies as I need them. My intent is to go kitless. From those of you experienced in this sphere, are there any "must have" accessories I should think about as well? Any insights are appreciated. Many thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I assume the tooling package will come with a tailstock chuck and revolving centre?

My must have top three are:
1. Tailstock boring head
2. Tailstock die holder
3. Spring loaded tapping guide ( held in tailstock chuck )

Have fun!! :)

IT looks like the tooling package has just about everything you will need to get started, I am sure you will see other things you will want. Order yourself some metal the same time you order the lathe, nothing worse than the lathe arriving and you have nothing fun to turn on it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations! Skiprat covered it. A set of end mills are handy to have for recessing the clips. But not absolutely necessary. I use router bits. Have fun!

Last edited:

BKelley

Congratulations,

I bought the 8.5 x 16 from LMS and have been perfectly delighted with it. If you don't have them, a !.0" micrometer, preferably Starrett is a absolute must. next would be a quick change tool post with a good supply of HSS bits. My eyes required a lamp that magnetically attaches to the motor cover of the lathe. Some one mentioned end mills, guess that's o.k. but my choice there would be piloted counter bores instead. You might want a knurling tool from LMS they are nice. Get accustomed to your new lathe and as time goes by you can add attachments as needed. Trevor carries the same lathe except it is red and you can get a milling machine that attaches to the back. You might want that, I elected to go with a separate mill from LMS. The best of luck with your lathe and keep us informed of your new adventures with it.

Ben

Brh

Thanks to all who responded. The suggested accessories are kinda what I thought but wasn't sure. Looking forward to my new tool; I'll be back with more newbie questions. Many thanks.

Top Bottom