The 9x20 wait is finally over

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks to Mike Roux, and Mike Redburn, I own a Central Machinery 9x20 with lots of tooling, including some Quick change holders.Picked it up this morning, and took it to Mike Rouxs house, where he commenced taking it apart to clean, adjust and lube everything that moved, and needed it. Spent the whole day on this. I even helped a little :biggrin::tongue:

On a serious note, I could not have done this easily on my own. I am very fortunate to have these guys spend their time, and knowledge helping me out. Thanks again Mikes! The lathe was well used, and in a state of neglect, but not real seriously. In addition to cleaning, and adjusting, we found the gears were set up for threading. So, we got the gears arranged for turning. Redburn, took one of the cutting tools to the grinder, and Scotchbrite wheel, and it cut the finest finish on an aluminum blanks, that I have ever seen. When it gets worn, I'll be calling HIM.:biggrin: I am anxious to get it fired up, as I have lots of cool blanks from several friends, that really need to be turned into pens. Thank you friends! Wish me some luck with the transition :redface::biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Fortunatly the neglect hadnt been long enough or hard enough to cause damage. Most of the repairs were simple cleaning and reassembly with clean lubericants. A little fine tuning of gibb screws and replacement of two missing pins that go between the gibb screws and the steel gibb its self. Dale got a fine assortment of accessories that pretty much made a complete package to replace the lathe he sold. Mike Roux was in his element, having a blast dissassembiling the lathe to see how it was designed. As Mike Roux said in the earlier post the run out on the chuck is under .0005 total. The trouble is Chuck now has one less excuse for a perfect pen. Not that he needs them any longer. Thumbs up on your new lathe Chuck I hope your friend at home showed up to help lift it in place.

IPD_Mr

You should have painted it blue while you had it apart. :rolleyes: Congrats Chuck, I imagine Suzanne will be seeing less of you. :frown: Sure hope you have a good air conditioner in the sweat box of yours. :tongue: Joe ordered our DROs today and we should have them next week. More fun. Now I need to pick up an MT2 QC tool holder to try some drilling with the sled rather than the tail stock. So much I want to do but we have the Triangle pen show coming up and we are so looking forward to that. :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Fortunatly the neglect hadnt been long enough or hard enough to cause damage. Most of the repairs were simple cleaning and reassembly with clean lubericants. A little fine tuning of gibb screws and replacement of two missing pins that go between the gibb screws and the steel gibb its self. Dale got a fine assortment of accessories that pretty much made a complete package to replace the lathe he sold. Mike Roux was in his element, having a blast dissassembiling the lathe to see how it was designed. As Mike Roux said in the earlier post the run out on the chuck is under .0005 total. The trouble is Chuck now has one less excuse for a perfect pen. Not that he needs them any longer. Thumbs up on your new lathe Chuck I hope your friend at home showed up to help lift it in place.
Thanks for the help Mike.

You should have painted it blue while you had it apart. :rolleyes: Congrats Chuck, I imagine Suzanne will be seeing less of you. :frown: Sure hope you have a good air conditioner in the sweat box of yours. :tongue: Joe ordered our DROs today and we should have them next week. More fun. Now I need to pick up an MT2 QC tool holder to try some drilling with the sled rather than the tail stock. So much I want to do but we have the Triangle pen show coming up and we are so looking forward to that. :biggrin:
Thanks Mike. Did Joe get the sale price? It doesn't start till tomorrow, and runs thru the 23rd. The 6" will be $25.95 You need the code #SPR2012A Going to order mine tomorrow.

Looks like a beauty Charles, you are indeed fortunate to have such fine friends.

Have fun.
Thank you Fred. Going out to get acquainted with it today.:biggrin:

Congrats Chuck, looks like many hours cranking wheels and messing with gears.........Lucky......
Thanks Lupe! I try to stay away from gears:biggrin: But cranking the wheels won't be a problem.

NICE!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Thanks Rick.

cnirenberg

Chuck,
That sucker is just awesome!! I bet it was no big deal to pick it up and toss in the back of the truck....Looks good too, you should be able to turn just about anything now. Better keep Marshall away, I think he has some spare Titanium left over. Who knows what he may smuggle back from his trip abroad??????

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,
That sucker is just awesome!! I bet it was no big deal to pick it up and toss in the back of the truck....Looks good too, you should be able to turn just about anything now. Better keep Marshall away, I think he has some spare Titanium left over. Who knows what he may smuggle back from his trip abroad??????
Thanks Cris. Yeh I got lucky, and only had to lift it three times. Almost dropped it when I smashed my fingers trying to lift it onto Mikes bench. A neighbor lady helped me get it into my shed.:redface: No problem for her. She's built like a 4x4 She works out regularly.:wink: You, and Marshall can use it anytime, but Mikes is still a lot closer.:biggrin: Marshall got a nice little Atlas from Redburn. He was working on a DRO bracket last time I saw him. That's the trouple with having more than one project going at the same time. You miss out on a lot of things.:redface:

Texatdurango

Geeze.......Sounds like I should have relocated to Florida when I retired since that's where everyone is having all the fun! Here in Arizona I mention that I work on my lathes and people ask... "what are those?"

bluwolf

Chuck, I think you've got yourself a pretty decent machine now. I'll be interested to know how you like it after messing with it for awhile. Let me know when the DROs come in and we'll get started on them.

In the mean time, get busy. We want to see the first pen off of it.

Mike

IPD_Mr

Geeze.......Sounds like I should have relocated to Florida when I retired since that's where everyone is having all the fun! Here in Arizona I mention that I work on my lathes and people ask... "what are those?"

George you would not have wanted to do that. Herbie would have been alligator bait. :frown:

bluwolf

Don't feel bad George. Other than our little group, I get the same thing. It's interesting though how much interest there is in your machines when they can do some thing for the neighbors:biggrin: Then they want to know what all the other machines can do for them.

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I wish you had moved here George. I like to have my knowledge base in close proximity :biggrin: We do have fun here.

Chuck, I think you've got yourself a pretty decent machine now. I'll be interested to know how you like it after messing with it for awhile. Let me know when the DROs come in and we'll get started on them.

Mike
I'll let you know. I'm about to post more photos here, to show what I'm facing. Gonna have to build some shelves over the lathe.

Looks great, Chuck. Can't wait to see what come off this machine.
Thanks Derek. In due time, but I HAVE to get a pen made for our grandson, for his graduation, end of this month. He has enlisted in the Marine Corps, and would like a pen with that theme.

In the mean time, I have some work cut out for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 153

bitshird

Chuck, it must have been fun getting that baby up on that cabinet, it weighs about the same as my Jet, and it took a couple of strong 20 year olds to get it on my cabinet that's not all that tall. They are a sturdy machine. And there is so much that can be tricked out on them easily Sounds like you got a well tooled lathe, Congrats.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
im liking the look of that Chuck :D Enjoy your new lathe
Thank you Brad. I'm focusing on getting things in place. Then I'll start turning some material.

Chuck, it must have been fun getting that baby up on that cabinet, it weighs about the same as my Jet, and it took a couple of strong 20 year olds to get it on my cabinet that's not all that tall. They are a sturdy machine. And there is so much that can be tricked out on them easily Sounds like you got a well tooled lathe, Congrats.
Thanks Ken. I hope I'll never have to lift this thing again :frown: Yes, those guys did a good job getting it tightened up. Looking forward to using it.

Texatdurango

..... I'm about to post more photos here, to show what I'm facing. Gonna have to build some shelves over the lathe.
............In the mean time, I have some work cut out for me.

With all due respect Chuck, I am going to agree with Mike, too much yakking and not enough elbow grease!

First, you don't build shelves, you cut a couple boards then "put 'em up", a two hour job, tops, and that includes the drive to Home Depot to pick up the boards then a coffee break! :wink:

Second, in the photos I saw a little clutter, probably the result of hurriedly making space for the new lathe but come on........ what are we looking at here, half an hour to 45 minutes to get things back in order! :rolleyes:

I also saw an air conditioner in one photo, if it works, there is no reason for the shop to be empty and the metal lathe not to be humming right along cranking out a nice pen.

Jeez.... sometimes you old guys are way too slow! Let's see some proof that you are indeed a world class pen maker!

PenMan1

Congrats, Chuck! And it must be nice living so close to the Mikes! Every time my ox has been in the ditch, there's been a Mike there to help push!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks friends, for the kind words of encouragement, and ridicule:biggrin: However, Rome was not built in a day.:tongue: Careful planning is involved :rolleyes::biggrin: I am still in the designing stages, and have to wait till my most valuable helping hand arises from her much needed slumber.:confused: Until then, another pot of coffee will do:wink:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Chuck,
Thanks Cris. Yeh I got lucky, and only had to lift it three times. Almost dropped it when I smashed my fingers trying to lift it onto Mikes bench. A neighbor lady helped me get it into my shed.:redface: No problem for her. She's built like a 4x4 She works out regularly.:wink: You, and Marshall can use it anytime, but Mikes is still a lot closer.:biggrin: Marshall got a nice little Atlas from Redburn. He was working on a DRO bracket last time I saw him. That's the trouple with having more than one project going at the same time. You miss out on a lot of things.:redface:

I hope your neighbor lady doesn't read IAP!

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
You're very fortunate to have the help you do! I ordered the 6" stainless version and the sales person said there would not be any discount on them. I'm not quite sure how it will attach to the sled, but I bet between all of us, we will come up with a way! Congrats!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You're very fortunate to have the help you do! I ordered the 6" stainless version and the sales person said there would not be any discount on them. I'm not quite sure how it will attach to the sled, but I bet between all of us, we will come up with a way! Congrats!
Thanks Joe. I don't think she's interested in IAP.:biggrin: Is that DRO for your cross slide, or tail stock? Yes, you have plenty of help here. I have pictures of my TS DRO. I think Redburn put a CS on one of his lathes. One of them will chime in here.

Curly

Rome, is coming together! :biggrin:
Well that's certainly a start, so what did you do with the other 22.7 hours yesterday! I realize you're retired but just how long are those coffee breaks these days? :biggrin:

Gettin there!

Not coffee breaks. Naps. :yawn: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :yawn:

Enjoy the new to you lathe chuck whenever you get to it. :wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Didn't George tell you that it would only take a couple of hours including the trip to the home improvement store? It has been more than 24hours and still no pen. You are slacking my friend.
Yes, I saw that :rolleyes: In due time my friends! :biggrin:

Well that's certainly a start, so what did you do with the other 22.7 hours yesterday! I realize you're retired but just how long are those coffee breaks these days? :biggrin:

Gettin there!
The planning simply exhausted me. :biggrin:

Gettin there!

Not coffee breaks. Naps. :yawn: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :yawn:

Enjoy the new to you lathe chuck whenever you get to it. :wink:
Pete! You're onto me :confused: Thank you friend, I'm sure I will enjoy it.:wink:

bluwolf

Everybody's a critic, eh Chuck?

Oh, by the way, you need a flourescent light fixture coming off the bottom of that shelf right above the lathe...and the lathe doesn't quite looked centered between the two uprights on the shelves either:biggrin:

Mike

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I wish you had moved here George. I like to have my knowledge base in close proximity :biggrin: We do have fun here.

Mike
I'll let you know. I'm about to post more photos here, to show what I'm facing. Gonna have to build some shelves over the lathe.

Thanks Derek. In due time, but I HAVE to get a pen made for our grandson, for his graduation, end of this month. He has enlisted in the Marine Corps, and would like a pen with that theme.

Chuck: I don't know if you are into inlays, but Constant at Lazerlinez has an awesome Marine Lazer cut kit that I bet would just make his day. Don't know about by end of month?? Lots of pieces.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Everybody's a critic, eh Chuck?

Oh, by the way, you need a flourescent light fixture coming off the bottom of that shelf right above the lathe...and the lathe doesn't quite looked centered between the two uprights on the shelves either:biggrin:

Mike
YOU TOO:confused::biggrin: That lathe is right where I want it, Mr. Concentric:biggrin:

Mike

Chuck: I don't know if you are into inlays, but Constant at Lazerlinez has an awesome Marine Lazer cut kit that I bet would just make his day. Don't know about by end of month?? Lots of pieces.
Good information Joe, Thanks!

Top Bottom