7x10 metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George417

Harbor Freight had a 20% off coupon in the paper this week, I couldn't resist any more. I got the 7x10 mini lathe for $399. So now I need a set of tools and a quick change post for it. So I went to the Little Machine Shop for tools and guess what, the tool set I want is on back order. While I wait for them to get the tool set in I'm working on a bench for the lathe. Pictures will be available soon.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Harbor Freight had a 20% off coupon in the paper this week, I couldn't resist any more. I got the 7x10 mini lathe for $399. So now I need a set of tools and a quick change post for it. So I went to the Little Machine Shop for tools and guess what, the tool set I want is on back order. While I wait for them to get the tool set in I'm working on a bench for the lathe. Pictures will be available soon.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

A2Z.com has tool posts for the 7x lathes. You may also want to check out AMTools.com

George417

I'm waiting on the middle set that LMS has. It supposed to be available by next Tue. It will be then before I get my table built and the lathe cleaned up and my back gets better (pulled a muscle unloading the lathe).

underdog

I'm not seeing that 7x10 lathe at HF. I see a 7x12 or a 8x12 though...

Congratulations on the new lathe.

You guys gotta stop this though. It's WAY too tempting...:frown::redface:

plano_harry

I am enjoying my 7x10 a lot. Thinking about a CNC uograde:rolleyes:

A2Z sells direct on fleabay. Got mine for $99 with free shipping. When I installed it, I took the old QCTP handle and replaced the tail stock nut with the handle. A scientifically selected washer and some aluminum shim stock allowed me to lock down the tail with 1/4 turn on the handle. Two upgrades for the price of one! :cool:

Harry

I'm waiting on the middle set that LMS has. It supposed to be available by next Tue. It will be then before I get my table built and the lathe cleaned up and my back gets better (pulled a muscle unloading the lathe).

TDE

hf 7x10

How hard is it to get parts for one of these? I know someone who has one with a problem. If the part isn't too much I might be able to talk him out of it. Thanks, Ted:)

frank123

How hard is it to get parts for one of these? I know someone who has one with a problem. If the part isn't too much I might be able to talk him out of it. Thanks, Ted:)

Which part?

The largest problem in these little things is -or used to be- blowing the MOSFETs on the controller board, and they are easy to replace and available from several specific mini lathe part suppliers or much more cheaply from any major electronic part suppliers such as Digi-Key if ordered by spec. Cheap to fix but expensive to replace the whole controller board.

( I quit using the factory controller and motor a number of years ago, but found those MOSFETs in the one they used at the time to be very much a problem. There are a few other ones that will work better and are less prone to failure, I probably could find out which ones I used from old invoices if anyone needs to know)

TDE

7x10

That sounds like the problem he may have. How expensive is it to replace the motor and controller? The price for them may make it better to look elsewhere instead of his. Thanks, Ted:)

frank123

That sounds like the problem he may have. How expensive is it to replace the motor and controller? The price for them may make it better to look elsewhere instead of his. Thanks, Ted:)

The motor and controller are kind of expensive to replace new.

If it's the controller -which is most common- it is much cheaper to repair it and usually only needs to have the two MOSFETS replaced (they are easy to replace and don't cost much). Common symptom of failure here is just nothing happens when it turns on.

The motor is a DC brush motor, and may have had a brush fail, if so it is also an easy replacement. Not real common but possible.

(In the end I ended up going with a conversion to a heavy duty controller and a small treadmill motor, not all that difficult a conversion but a project of more than trivial nature. They cost me far less than a new stock motor and controller board. It's a pretty high powered machine now, and very capable of handling anything that fits in it with ease)

I think Little Machine Shop should have the parts to see how much they cost so you can decide whether or not it is worth it, I think if I could get one in an unknown cause not running state for under a hundred bucks (hopefully 50 - 75) I'd seriously consider going for it. Stuff like the chuck, tailstock center, faceplate and such if they're all there are worth that much and if there is any tooling that would be another plus.

TDE

7x10

Thanks Frank 123, Do the Mosfets solder onto the board? I may have a friend that could do that,I couldn't. I'll talk to him and check it out. Thanks, Ted

Top Bottom