6" Clausing/Atlas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

I don't think the guy had even got around the corner after buying the little lathe I had (7x12 Microlux) before I thought, "I should have thought about that a bit more". Oh well. This little jewel popped up on CL and the guy lives almost just around the corner. Got it for a bit of a trade and some cash. I turn and refurbish roller skate wheels for some folks, and this is already working well for that! Came with a 4 jaw (no 3 jaw) and the change gears plus live and dead centers.

Attachments

• Atlas 2.jpg
    Atlas 2.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 368
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Some guys get all the deals.:biggrin: Awesome. Is that your dial indicator? How does it read for run out? Thanks for showing it Paul.

Carl Fisher

I used to get my wheels regrooved pretty regularly but it's been years.

Skated on the same set of wicked lips for probably 15 years before I finally quit all together.

Nice lathe by the way :biggrin:

Paul in OKC

Wheel turning. Talk about a challenge, the urethane skate wheels varies in hardness. Takes a special grind on the tool.

And you have to get them all the same diameter? Close? Is that a special cutter/grinder? Sorry I have questions! But this is interesting.

I shoot to get them within a couple of thousandths of each other, not much problem there. It is a special grind on the tool, a piece of HSS with a full radius on the end and quite a bit of positive rake. It also takes a good feed rate so the material doesn't melt back to itself or just tear. This guy gave me 96 wheels to do, this time. Did 40 a while back, and he says he has quite a few more to do later. He collects them, I guess :) I did mine a bit ago. Currently skate on some original fan jet wheels with Labeda 'tires'. Still go regularly. Actually found these skates at a thrift store. Bought them just for the wheels as the boots were small. Wheels are cool!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Sigh............
THe last pair of wheels I had trued were wood.

Great little lathe though.............

Top Bottom