1 1/4 tpi x MT4

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I want to use a 1 1/4 x 8 tpi in the head stock of my metal lathe and it has a MT4 in the head stock. Is there such a thing made for this.

Lin.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

One is the threads on the outside of the head, the other is the space inside it. Do you have a female threaded chuck or something that you want to mount on a mt4 insert?

lorbay

One is the threads on the outside of the head, the other is the space inside it. Do you have a female threaded chuck or something that you want to mount on a mt4 insert?

The head stock is just a MT 4 and I want to mount all my 1 1/4 x 8 parts from my wood lathe on to it. So I thought that if the was a MT 4 with threds on the other end that would work great.

Lin.

Curly

What you are looking for is a MT4 with a machinable stub on the end that you could thread and that won't be easy. Problem is that even if you can find one a MT is designed to take its loads down the length of the taper. When you side load it as you would while turning it will come loose, especially with vibrations, and drop out. :eek: If you have a threaded rod coming in from the other end of the headstock (like milling machines) it will keep it in.

How is the metal lathe set up to hold metal lathe chucks now? Thread? D1-3, D1-4 type systems? An adapter from them to the 1 1/4 thread would be safe and more secure.

lorbay

What you are looking for is a MT4 with a machinable stub on the end that you could thread and that won't be easy. Problem is that even if you can find one a MT is designed to take its loads down the length of the taper. When you side load it as you would while turning it will come loose, especially with vibrations, and drop out. :eek: If you have a threaded rod coming in from the other end of the headstock (like milling machines) it will keep it in.

How is the metal lathe set up to hold metal lathe chucks now? Thread? D1-3, D1-4 type systems? An adapter from them to the 1 1/4 thread would be safe and more secure.
Yes i was thinking on putting a draw bar on it anyway, the chuck fits over a face plate style tenon and held in place by 3 bolts (all part of the head stock). So to make anything to fit on that would be a piece of 4" stock and then machined down to the 1 1/4 x8 TPI.

Lin.

Top Bottom