Ëmco unimat SL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lightfeather

Hello,

does anyone can tell if the Emco unimat SL is suitable for pen turning? (is it too small?)

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

Technically yes, Feasibly, no. I own a Unimat and would not attempt to turn a pen on it. You would not be able to drill the hole in blank, would have to use drill press.
Unimat will only run for so long before overheating and not powerful enough to really take a good bite into workpiece. To answer your question - - yes it can be done.

Ben

lightfeather

Hello Ben,

thanks for your answer.

I asked about the unimal sl, because in German forums it's praised as a very solid and precise machine.

So if you are going to buy a small lathe to turn pens, a solid lathe with a good precision, which one would you pick?

Greetings from Switzerland

BKelley

Lightfeather,

Yes, the Unimat is a good lathe. It is precise and an excellent little lathe. To my way of thinking it is just too small for pens. My choice would be one of the 7x12 lathes made by Sieg. They are marketed under several names, Harbor Freight, Grizzly, and Little Machine Shop has the 4100 HiTorque. Also Little Machine Shop has the Sieg
8x16 SC4. I have the Grizzly G8688 7x12 and really have enjoyed using it. It does pens just fine.

Ben

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have had the unimat sl and found it to be very limited in its use. I believe one of the other model unimats #3 or #4 or the compact 5 would be a better buy for pens if you have limited access to lathes. Im not sure whats available to you in Switzerland.

edoptician

In the past I did slimlines and Flat tops both on a Unimat SL. Distance between centers was a little tight when doing the Flat Tops I did them as two pieces ...took longer but it did work.
I do acrylics on a Unimat 3 with no trouble....mandrel held in a Collet ER-16 using the collet holder made for the newer U-4. I do pens up to and including ElGrande with no issues. THe length is a little tight but it can be done.
For Bullet pens I will cut down two of the bushings so I can do two at once.

Ed Samsen

plano_harry

I have had a Unimat SL for 30 years. It is an excellent lathe for its purpose, but I think it is too limited for pens. I only had a 3/8" chuck so drilling on the lathe for pens was very limited. The accessories are pretty expensive now since it is long out of production and isn't big enough for morse taper tools. No power feed. max length is very restirctive for pens.

I sold it for $550 on eBay and bought the Harbor Freight 7x10 for $375 and it has way more versatility. Unless you are a model/miniature maker or jeweler, I wouldn't consider the Unimat SL.

Harry

PenPal

Lightfeather,

If your concern is freight then buy a Taig, have a gaze at the Lathe I have two of them for different applications, you can choose three headstocks to allow three different Collet Chucks, the bed is 15 1/2 inches long.

The pricing now with the improved world currency is about half of what it cost me for the first one. You can install whatever motor just buy the basic lathe and options like collets etc if it looks interesting to you send me a pm and I will take pics of mine/ set up for you.

Look up Google the lathe has a cult following uses ball races in the headstock, the bed is precision and tough etc there are extras to use a turning rest for timber.

Kind regards Peter.

Last edited:

AurelianC

Try also Quantum, is the "hobby" line from Optimum.
If you plan to work all day long in production buy the Optimum. If is just for hobby, the Quantum will do just fine.

Curly

Have you considered any of the Proxxon lathes? I believe they are made next door to you in Germany.

PROXXON (Under Precision Lathe and Milling Systems.)

PROXXON - PD 230/E (The small one.)

PROXXON - PD 400 (The big one. :))

PROXXON - PD 400/CNC (The big one for CNC lovers.:biggrin:)

I personally haven't seen any so you will need to do your own research as to whether they would work for you with respect to price, quality and size.

healeydays

Just saw this note and thought I'd add to it.

I have been told, if you do plan on turning pens with a unimat, it might be good at the start to suggest that you look at removing the carriage and it's feed screw if you are going to use your machine for wood turning only. A few members have found that the finest dust creeps into the works, and then swells up as it absorbs oil. The machines become jammed up and there's no known cure...

FlowolF

It's having just been given one of these that actually got me to just sign up for the forum after years of reading it as a non-turning 'guest' ',;~}~

Never turned a pen in my life so can't really attest in that regard.

I will echo that mine doesn't like to be run too long though - it has fresh bearings throughout, and even without the motor getting to feel more than slightly warm, after a short while turning it starts to slow down then speed back up of its own accord, then won't start back up for a few minutes once turned off if run a bit longer.

Heard plenty of mention of this but never explanation of the mechanism of it - don't know if there's a crude temp. cut-out inside the motor or what.

One thing I note is that it can't be too hard to find a workable, more modern/higher power replacement that could be made to fit.

As for distance between centres - yup it's def. limiting but again looking at it, can't see any reason that for wood turning small spindle forms that some way of moving the tailstock further back or replacing with a make-shift tailstock couldn't be done by someone good with their hands.

If ya have one already these things may be considerations before giving up on it but otherwise, suppose ya just have to know what ya want and go with it.

Oh - also to add - dunno about the USA but over here (England) there's plenty of spares/new parts to be had at reasonable prices - picked myself a 12mmx1mm live centre for about £14 earlier this week, plus all the parts to turn it into a milling machine/tool grinder etc. and for fitting a power feed still seem to be around (the Unitmat was made as a convertable multi-function/mode 'portable' mini-metal workshop for watchmakers etc. and can be made to do all sorts.)

Cheers and be well!

FlowolF

Top Bottom