Old Colonial Red Gum cured under water...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi folks,

This will be my first add since the changes on the Classifieds sections and despite my intention of starting with some of my new woods I have been working on these last 6 months or so (none yet listed on eBay, either but, will soon...!), I endup starting with one that I had no intentions to do anything with for some more time, as it has been safely put a side since the day I found it, a few years back.

There is, until I had recently (couple of weeks ago) someone from the Australian State of the Rum, asking me if I could provide some very old and very dark Red Gum wood for Rum "curing"...!:eek:. I have at least 4 very distinct "reds" from this wood at different ages but, I though in check my private stash for that Red Gum that is, beyond any doubt, the darkest red I ever saw from Australian Red Gum, and also with those blackish strips through the grain and that I believe, was due the wood to be under water from a natural water spring and its pure minerals...!

Interestingly, this person has already bough some other Red Gum pen blanks and I didn't know that they were going to be used as such so, I decided to make him an offer, of cutting a number of pen blanks and send them free of charge, in exchange for the blanks been returned after used and 1 bottle of the Red Gum cured rum...!:wink:

He couldn't be happier and I am most intrigued in having a taste of that specially cured rum (I don't drink but, I will have a nib...!:eek::)) and, the returned blanks will be almost black, I'm sure, something that will make them even more special to me...!

This was when, I decided to cut what I had into pen blanks, as the small single log was cut originally as round bowl blanks, (I wasn't into pens, in those days...) and sell most of them...!:smile-big: (don't worry, I kept a few for me...!)

Now, the total number of usable pen blanks that I cut was about 120, of these, I hand selected all the ones that had no defects or any flaws of any kind, making them, simply unique exhibition grade pen blanks and they are only 43.

There is no great colour/grain variations in between them, and group pics don't make them justice, reason why I turned a pen shaped sample finished with CA to demonstrate how they really look like, something that the close up pics show reasonably well...!

Now, people will ask...! what so special about this wood...???

Well, when I found this log, I wrote a full description of the story on the Australian Woodworkers forum (where I was very active at, at that time, until I was banned...!), with some nice pics of this amazing under water find but, unfortunately and after desperately searching for that "thread", I realized that, anything that I have posted under that forum name, was removed so no longer exists...!:mad::mad::mad:

If that wasn't enough, even the pics that I had from that post/find, where all lost in a major computer (hard drive failure) I had a couple of years ago where I lost about 6.000 pictures...!:mad: One of the positives of posting stuff with pics is that, you "normally" can copy those pics back if something happens to the original ones, which I did with many hundreds of them but, some were lost forever, as these ones seem to be part of that group.

I have no doubt that, many of the guys and gals that have been following me through the Internet on these type of forums, will recall a thread that I named "The toe find", as the log was detected/found with my toes, when I jumped into this old abandoned water spring, to cool myself down in one of those 40°+ days we have every so often in Summer. I hope someone remember that, and validate my claim...!

This was a natural water spring that was used by the very first Chinese Settlers in this area, they used some of the old and very large Red Gums trees (at least they have to be a couple of hundred years old) to construct most of what could be constructed with wood and this spring was "boxed in" like a small little pool (about 2 square meters) with some Red Gum logs, to keep some water at the spring base, instead of running all downstream, fast...!

The old house and everything else was built around this water spring, as all the cultivated land was supplied with this water. From what I could find out, this small Chinese farm was functioning from about 1860's to about 1950's, now all in ruins...!:frown:

Some how, of all the logs used as retaining walls in this hole on the ground, have come apart from lack of maintenance and nature forces, being very soft sandy soil, heavy rains have helped the sand to shift and the wood became loose and floated or got buried under the sand downstream somewhere, which I never found any other logs so, the only one I salvaged was the one that was still buried on the "pool" bottom, about 5' deep.

Any items found at this old property, and or the permission to be there in the first place, was granted by the current property owners (last 10years) that are well aware of my salvaging wood madness. As a result, I was nominated as the "guardian" of the large area of Pine forest planted within the property and or any other trees part of the farm. This allow me to do regular "runs" through the place and check things out, particularly all the fire-brakes around the Pine forest that I have offer to make and maintain, while I can, free of charge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, the wood/blanks are in SA - Australia

-* Ship anywhere in the world, for locations other than USA or Canada, please request quote...!

-* 250gr small box parcel to USA or Canada - AU$12.00 Regular Air-mail, shipping only. Fit 4 blanks with all the square corners cut-off.

-* 500gr small box parcel to USA or Canada - AU$19.00 Regular Air-mail, shipping only. Fit 8 blanks some need square corners cut-off.

-* Parcels over 500gr to USA will attract the Custom sub-charge of extra $9.00

-* Each blank weights approx. 55gr.

All blanks have their 4 faces covered with wax (not dipped) for protection and colour enhancement. Wood natural/uncoated colour can be seen on the blanks ends and on turned samples square areas and in between barrels...!
Blanks are marked individually from #1 to #40 so, select the numbers/blanks you want and post a list with them so that I and everyone else can see what is sold and what is still available...!

Blanks are AU$4.00 each.

Paypal is the only payment acceptable.

Soon after your order request, you will receive a PM with payment details and or other info necessary.

For any other inquiries, please send me a PM...!:wink::biggrin:

Thank you.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Colonial Red Gum Special group-1.jpg
    Colonial Red Gum Special group-1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Colonial Red Gum Special Group-2.jpg
    Colonial Red Gum Special Group-2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Colonial Red Gum Special Group-3.JPG
    Colonial Red Gum Special Group-3.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Colonial Red Gum Special Group-4.JPG
    Colonial Red Gum Special Group-4.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Colonial Red Gum Special sample faces 1 &2.jpg
    Colonial Red Gum Special sample faces 1 &2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Colonial Red Gum Special sample faces 3 &4.jpg
    Colonial Red Gum Special sample faces 3 &4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 234
  • Colonial Red Gum Special sample close up.JPG
    Colonial Red Gum Special sample close up.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Colonial Red Gum Special total log yield.jpg
    Colonial Red Gum Special total log yield.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Colonial Red Gum Special original round blanks.jpg
    Colonial Red Gum Special original round blanks.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I hope someone remember that, and validate my claim...!

I remember the story George and I think you sent us a few of the blanks too in one of your boxes of goodies. :) I went down to the shop and have a pair of 8" (200mm) or so blanks that might be them. 3 sides dark red and the 4th side checked and weathered silver. Sound familiar?

All the best with your sale.

Curly,

Most grateful that you did validate my claim, as I'm quite annoyed that I lost a considerable part of my work, that way...!:mad::frown:

Anyway, and I hope our "mods" find this post within the rules, as I would like to make a correction on what you think you have in those pieces you mention above.

While they are from the same trees and cut by the same people, the one you've got is not from the underwater log but from the old yard posts that I found buried in the sand for about 40 years, after they did do their job as yard posts for about 100 years, or more. The aged/weathered skin is what gives the most value to that timber, unfortunately, is not easy to make something up where that old skin is the main focus of the piece.

Not that long ago, our member David Keller show us a piece that he turned from a small round blanks he got from me, where the weathered skin was specifically left at the blank's top for a "natural edge" turning attempt. He done a beautiful job with it but, he never managed to leave as much of that aged surface as he thought he would. I have been in that same sistuation, many times over...!:frown::redface::)

I'm attaching a couple of pics of this yard post wood for clarification...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2901_(1).jpg
    100_2901_(1).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 100_2900_(1).jpg
    100_2900_(1).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Ambidex

Hi George..just got my last order..Very nice!..As for these beauties, I'll take 17,19,23,24,28,29 and 30..Let me know the damages and thanks again! Geo:biggrin:

magpens

I would like 4, 6, 8, 32, 34, 35, 38, and 39 please.

Would those fit the $19 shipping charge?

I might even want to add some more to the order after I get answers to questions I have sent you in PM.

Shipping to Canada.

Thanks, Mal

Last edited:
Top Bottom