New Kickstarter Campaign for Casting Molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkbarron

Could you check the status of backer number 56 for me? Was billed to my card on 10/9
Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. We had a long overnight drive back and arrived home late this morning.

I'll be shipping the remainder of the orders on Friday, just have a handful of inserts to cast between now and then. I will send you a tracking number asap.

Thanks!

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

Sounds like he's still on his way back from vacation. I was anxious too and mine must have shipped RIGHT before he went on vacation :)

I've had a chance to cast maybe 30-40 blanks with these over the past week. I'm a big fan. I'm not doing tube-in casting but the way I create my blanks lends itself to single cavities rather than a big block mold. I have used them with and without mold release using Alumilite and have no issues getting the parts out. Though my method may be a bit unique... I pull the plugs out and tap on a tension rod from a drum into the hole there. I'm sure a wood dowel would work too but where's the fun in that?

The quality of these over a pink silicone mold is immediately apparent. I suspect we'll see CNC machined HDPE take over the marker for that reason alone. After 100 blanks or so I was getting curved blanks from my silicone and I know that won't be a problem here. My package included the 2 tier tray and I love it. I can say the round base plate fits just fine in the Grizzly paint pot.

Eventually I'll do some tube in casting but I've been so busy making my diamond cast blanks that I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I think you'll be very happy when yours shows up!

I love hearing feedback. Thanks for the kind words!

I will spend a few hours this weekend working on a video showing how to use the system and will include some tips and techniques that might help everyone a bit with the system.

Tom

tkbarron

Got my package about five days ago. Cast my first blank with great results, your tube holders really save the PR and seal very well. I purchased a mold release spray at a local plastics company, is there a brand that you recommend, this one worked but was a little hard to remove from the mold.

On the road back home!!

I prefer Mann's Ease Release 205 or 200. 205 if casting with inserts because it is wax based and doesn't cause the inserts to become slippery.

Thanks!!

Tom

Dummy me. I sent this last night on the road. Ease Release 2831 is the wax based agent I recommend.

Tom

Attachments

• 15113953764111140475791.jpg
    15113953764111140475791.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 283

tkbarron

Very disappointed. Missing screws and no instructions.

Sorry you are unhappy Larry! The missing screws were sent on Saturday along with a free gator blank for your trouble.

I'm a one man company at this point, trying to create the best casting experience possible.

I work a full-time job plus I spend nearly 40 hours a week on the side business. I've kept this schedule working 7 days a week for the past several months. I'm also husband with three kids and I have two sets of aging parents to help look after, all of which demand much of my time. Mistakes are made. I'm only human.

Thanks,

Tom

LarryC, asking for instructions to use a casting mold ? Larry, do you include instructions how to drill the pen blanks you sell ? If you need help with casting or drilling a blank, give it up !!!

larryc

LarryC, asking for instructions to use a casting mold ? Larry, do you include instructions how to drill the pen blanks you sell ? If you need help with casting or drilling a blank, give it up !!!

My blanks don't come with 12 screws and 5 pieces of plastic. An included picture of the completed unit would have been nice. Cuts down on the occurrences of Murphy's Law.

BeeAMaker

Perfect! great product, professional results.

I did have some seepage, but I will try your suggested wax base release. Few raps on the back with a dead blow and the blanks fell right out.

gm1a.jpg

gm1b.jpg

gm1c.jpg

Last edited:

Paul hd

Perfect! great product, professional results.

I did have some seepage, but I will try your suggested wax base release. Few raps on the back with a dead blow and the blanks fell right out.

Hi,
The blanks look great.
Did you use a pressure pot?

Regards
Paul.

tkbarron

The videos certainly bring the Gator Mold up to full value.
Not sure what the purpose and sequencing of heating the molds?

Thanks Larry. Heating molds isn't necessary for most tube-in casts but it helps remove moisture when casting with Alumilite. For me personally, I use the oven to dry the mold release and to remove any moisture lingering in alligator jawbone, wood and even hemlock cones.

Hope it helps!

SJScher

Been using the molds since received them from the Kickstarter Campaign. They have performed perfectly for me. Thank You again for the system and I like the videos.

Cotton

Tom, it was good to meet you this past weekend. So far I've casted a dozen blanks in the mold with AL and they have all popped right out. I have some spalted orange tree I'm casting right now, can't wait to see how that turns out!

Haven't tried a tube in casting yet but hope to this weekend. One thing is obvious you put a lot of thought and time in this mold. Give me a shout when you get your duck call molds done, looking forward to giving them a shot!

tkbarron

Tom, it was good to meet you this past weekend. So far I've casted a dozen blanks in the mold with AL and they have all popped right out. I have some spalted orange tree I'm casting right now, can't wait to see how that turns out!

Haven't tried a tube in casting yet but hope to this weekend. One thing is obvious you put a lot of thought and time in this mold. Give me a shout when you get your duck call molds done, looking forward to giving them a shot!

Thanks Jeff! It was great meeting you!

I will be busy over the next few weeks working on the other mold designs and should have most uploaded to the website before Christmas. I'm off two weeks from the full-time job after this Friday!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom