New Kickstarter Campaign for Casting Molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkbarron

Great start on the website release Tom. Can't wait to see what else you come up with for molds. 15 days and counting...

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Thanks Matt! The website has become a forgotten stepchild for the past week or so. I've spent every spare moment learning a different cad/cam package because it offers a lot more toolpath functionality that the other program can't match. Bottom line, chamber finish will improve and at some point so should cycle times. A variety of mold designs should be online next week, with pictures no less!

I picked up a big batch of HDPE yesterday. It doesn't look like a lot from the picture but there was enough added weight on those back tires to give me concern for the drive home!

Attachments

• 20170928_170219.jpg
    20170928_170219.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 183

BeeAMaker

Your going to make me back you on Kickstarter aren't you? :hypnotized:

OK, questions. I thought resin didn't stick to HDPE so why the strong recommendation of a mold release? Is it because of the machining marks?

tkbarron

Your going to make me back you on Kickstarter aren't you? :hypnotized:

OK, questions. I thought resin didn't stick to HDPE so why the strong recommendation of a mold release? Is it because of the machining marks?

I'm trying Glenn!!

Resin WILL stick to HDPE, it just won't bond to it. A release agent helps relieve the stress of demolding but more than anything it protects the silicone inserts and rubber plugs. Trust me, I've cast thousands of blanks in HDPE using mold release and compared to no mold release the experience is night and day (especially for full length blanks).

The machine marks won't cause much trouble for demolding, especially since the side walls have a slight taper. It's an aesthetic thing for me. I don't like them and want them gone as much as possible. Unfortunately I can't get rid of them all. They are a byproduct of CNC milling. Those aluminum injection molds you see don't come off the machine with mirror finishes. They have to be sanded and polished extensively, which is why they cost a fortune to make!

Thanks!!

BeeAMaker

Resin WILL stick to HDPE, it just won't bond to it.

Would it better to use a plastic that it doesn't stick too? Is it a cost or strength thing?

For doing a lot of full blanks I have been using the sandwich box from Sistema. Not sure what type of plastic it is, says PP on the bottom, but Alumilite pops right out, not fuss. I get about 6 5/8x5/8 blanks out of it. It's possible it is an entirely different type of plastic that can't be machined however.

Anyways - I like supporting good innovative products and you have a good one going. So I'm off to Kickstarter! :biggrin:

tkbarron

Resin WILL stick to HDPE, it just won't bond to it.

Would it better to use a plastic that it doesn't stick too? Is it a cost or strength thing?

For doing a lot of full blanks I have been using the sandwich box from Sistema. Not sure what type of plastic it is, says PP on the bottom, but Alumilite pops right out, not fuss. I get about 6 5/8x5/8 blanks out of it. It's possible it is an entirely different type of plastic that can't be machined however.

Anyways - I like supporting good innovative products and you have a good one going. So I'm off to Kickstarter! :biggrin:

I looked at other materials, including delrin, but HDPE by far offered the best bang for the buck. Delrin molds would be priced at least twice that of the HDPE molds and as a result would be less appealing to the average caster. My goal from the start was to make a something that would outlast silicone molds but it had to be priced at a point that most anyone could afford. Long term, HDPE molds will be much less expensive than silicone simply because they won't have to be replaced every few months.

There's a good chance that sandwich box is made from polyethylene. Keep in mind that sandwich box is also flexible and you take advantage of that flexibility when demolding, whether deliberate or not. HDPE molds are very rigid and thus require a bit more coaxing to remove the blanks.

Now, Alumilite is probably the easiest of the three major resin types to demold. You could get away without using a mold release if it weren't for the rubber plugs and silicone inserts. Any spillage between chambers or down the side of the mold can be peeled right off with a fingernail. Same goes for PR, easy to remove.

Some epoxy resins are a little more challenging. Liquid Diamonds is a perfect example. That stuff is really "sticky", which is a good thing. It bonds better than other epoxy resins I've used. Great for tube-in casts and bonds well to wood or bone. But, when you try removing spillage on top of the mold it takes twice the effort used with Alumilite.

Same goes for demolding the blanks. Full length Alumilite blanks will drop right out of the mold by lightly rapping the bottom a few times with a rubberized dead blow hammer. Full length Liquid Diamonds blanks will take a few extra more forceful raps.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again!!

BeeAMaker....... I have tried countless ways of casting, I was fortunate enough to get a set of molds from Tom to try out. I must say...... the molds are awesome. That being said, I cant wait to hear and see the responses he will get once the units ship. I have tried a few casting systems. The pink molds on the market work great and no discredit to ptownsubbie...... 1 thing I like about the new molds from Maneater is I can now cast any pen, key chain, perfume pen, 50 cal, etc etc etc....... using my mold made by Tom and not have to purchase molds designed for a specific kit.... hope this helps

I'll just sit here anxiously waiting to try this now that I found some awesome pigments to play with :) Going to do some side by side tests with the liquid diamonds and alumilite. I'm fairly fond of the alumilite but since that resin price in the top tier was too good to pass up....

I'll echo the genius of the setup is the fact you can do any pen. I'd bee sitting there looking at my molds thinking "ya know... if you just had a stopper of sorts..." and there it is.

tkbarron

I'll just sit here anxiously waiting to try this now that I found some awesome pigments to play with :) Going to do some side by side tests with the liquid diamonds and alumilite. I'm fairly fond of the alumilite but since that resin price in the top tier was too good to pass up....

I'll echo the genius of the setup is the fact you can do any pen. I'd bee sitting there looking at my molds thinking "ya know... if you just had a stopper of sorts..." and there it is.

Thanks Tim!! I think you will really like LD resin, especially for clear tubed casts!

Kkoscielski

Looking forward to this!!!!

Saw this and could not resist!!!! I am number 58 even the site says 57 investors. Can't wait.....GREAT idea!!!

Last edited:

Marc

I missed out on all of this, bummer.

Do you have an idea when a person can start buying your products. i am interested in the items that came with your $150 subsciption.

Marc

romoshka

Dang it! Just saw this and I'm a week late. That's different than my usual day late/dollar short. Awesome design concept. And like the poster before me I'm interested in purchasing the product in the 150 kit.

magpens

The molds seem to be all sold out as of today. . When will more be available ? . I subscribed to your newsletter so maybe that will eventually tell me.

tkbarron

Hey All!

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm actively working to finish the KS orders within the next week. Most of the molds have been milled and all the pressure pot bases and racks have been completed. I have a TON of silicone inserts to cast and that will take up most of my free time.

Once the orders ship I will make the kits as well as mold bodies available on my website. Barry over at Arizona Silhouette has a handful of the mold bodies available now. He will also have access to the combo kits and inserts as soon as the KS orders ship.

Thanks for the kind words! I really hope the new molds will be enjoyed by all!

Tom

tkbarron

All the mold bodies, racks and bases are done. I'm currently in the middle of casting the silicone inserts, about 800 of 1,200 completed. The inserts have taken me a bit longer to cast than anticipated.

I will most certainly start shipping orders this week. I had hoped to send several today but now it will be tomorrow. What doesn't ship this week will go out by Monday.

Thanks!

Tom

tkbarron

Congrats on the successful Kickstarter Campaign! Any idea when you'll have these available for the general public to purchase through your website?

I'm shipping the KS orders starting today and will have all out by Monday. I'll add them to the website over the weekend or on Monday but can't ship until the Monday after Thanksgiving since we are heading to Florida next week.

Thanks!

Tom

Imaginethat

Tom, received my shipment day before yesterday and just now had the chance to get the package opened.

I am impressed. The workmanship and detail are exceptional. Being a part of this campaign has definitely been worth it. You have delivered on the promise and then some.

Now I can't wait to get started with casting. Being brand new at casting will certainty have a learning curve, but having the right equipment will make the learning much easier.

One thing for certain I did not read the included products when I signed up on Kickstarter. Finding the amount of resin included was a nice surprise, enough to experiment with and not feel like I'm wasting money.

Thanks again

tkbarron

Thanks all! We're on vacation in Florida but as soon as we get back I will post a casting video using the new system. If you have any questions please feel free to text and I will respond asap. 214-769-5339.

Last edited:

tkbarron

One more thing, I did add the combo mold to the website and will start shipping new orders after Thanksgiving. I have just a handful of Kickstarter orders to fill first!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I received my KS package a couple of days ago. Thanks, Tom - it all really looks good, but I probably won't have a chance to play with it until sometime in Jan. I'm looking forward to that casting video you mentioned.

tkbarron

I received my KS package a couple of days ago. Thanks, Tom - it all really looks good, but I probably won't have a chance to play with it until sometime in Jan. I'm looking forward to that casting video you mentioned.

The video is coming! I simply ran out of time. I worked like a madman the past few weeks casting silicone inserts to fill the majority of orders.

tomtedesco

Got my package about five days ago. Cast my first blank with great results, your tube holders really save the PR and seal very well. I purchased a mold release spray at a local plastics company, is there a brand that you recommend, this one worked but was a little hard to remove from the mold.

tkbarron

Got my package about five days ago. Cast my first blank with great results, your tube holders really save the PR and seal very well. I purchased a mold release spray at a local plastics company, is there a brand that you recommend, this one worked but was a little hard to remove from the mold.

On the road back home!!

I prefer Mann's Ease Release 205 or 200. 205 if casting with inserts because it is wax based and doesn't cause the inserts to become slippery.

Thanks!!

Tom

Sounds like he's still on his way back from vacation. I was anxious too and mine must have shipped RIGHT before he went on vacation :)

I've had a chance to cast maybe 30-40 blanks with these over the past week. I'm a big fan. I'm not doing tube-in casting but the way I create my blanks lends itself to single cavities rather than a big block mold. I have used them with and without mold release using Alumilite and have no issues getting the parts out. Though my method may be a bit unique... I pull the plugs out and tap on a tension rod from a drum into the hole there. I'm sure a wood dowel would work too but where's the fun in that?

The quality of these over a pink silicone mold is immediately apparent. I suspect we'll see CNC machined HDPE take over the marker for that reason alone. After 100 blanks or so I was getting curved blanks from my silicone and I know that won't be a problem here. My package included the 2 tier tray and I love it. I can say the round base plate fits just fine in the Grizzly paint pot.

Eventually I'll do some tube in casting but I've been so busy making my diamond cast blanks that I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I think you'll be very happy when yours shows up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom