Woodcraft Mesh Turners Sanding pack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodturners-mesh-sanding-pack

I was in Woodcraft Sunday and saw this, and picked it up. It is the non backed sand paper in the 15ft rolls. I figured since the Abranet is $52, and this being $25 it was the best time to pick it up. The regular roll of sandpaper is a little bit more expensive for 20ft rolls.

No I am not giving this away or selling it, just thought it was a good deal and some might be interested.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

As a matter of fact, when I bought it, the owner of the Woodcraft store was standing there, and I said the price on this will go up, and he agreed with that.

JimB

It's good to see there are some similar products to Abranet coming to the market. Since I don't turn a lot of pens anymore I won't be buying this. I buy Abranet in wider sheets to use on larger turnings. I also cut the sheets into discs to be able to power sand bowls so since the Woodcraft product doesn't have 'hook and loop' backing I wouldn't be able to use it.

I like Abranet a lot but the Woodcraft product looks like it could be a great alternative for those who make a lot of pens.

Jim Smith

I'd love to hear about your experience with this product. I am a huge fan of Abranet, but as you mentioned it is rather expensive. I look forward to hear how this product performs.
Thanks for sharing this information.

Jim Smith

edicehouse

I'd love to hear about your experience with this product. I am a huge fan of Abranet, but as you mentioned it is rather expensive. I look forward to hear how this product performs.

Jim Smith

Jim,
I just used it on some acrylic, and it performed just as well as when I used abranet. I get a small pack of the abranet with the different grits a while ago (I think it was 2 sheets of each) and they work out (of course), and was not able to find another one.

It didn't leave and residue that you sometimes get with other paper.

I give it a 8 out of 10. I am not sure how long it will hold up.

John Kos

Jim Smith

Jim,
I just used it on some acrylic, and it performed just as well as when I used abranet. I get a small pack of the abranet with the different grits a while ago (I think it was 2 sheets of each) and they work out (of course), and was not able to find another one.

I'm curios as to how you tell what grit it is after the markings are worn off from use?

cleve

Hi guys , I've been using abranet for a while now . I bought the packages from William Wood-Write and cut them in half these are the 3X4 inch pieces . I am a autobody tech by trade and have use a lot of sand paper, both wet and dry, open coat and close coat . I tried using a method I used to sand cars , I put a couple drops liquid soap in the water and dip the abranet paper in the water and sand my pen blanks . I have abranet paper up to 800 grit . I still finish my acrylics to 12000 but the abranet works great . Give it a try.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Next time I'm in Dallas visiting my daughter I will pick this up. I hate ordering small items from WC or Rockler or other places that charge $8-$12 for shipping on the items of $10 - $30 that don't weigh but a pound or two at the most.

edicehouse

Jim Smith

Jim,

I'm curios as to how you tell what grit it is after the markings are worn off from use?

When I use them I lay them out in order

edicehouse

One thing I have found this does not seem to "Grip" and take off as much as regular sandpaper. However it IMO gives a smoother finish. So if you have a somewhat rough finish when you start sanding you have a lot more work ahead of you than if you are using the sandpaper.

walshjp17

I'm not convinced the WC version of Abranet is anywhere near as good as the original product. The first complaint I have is that it is difficult to determine which side is the cutting side as both sides feel pretty much the same unlike Abranet with has both a 'feel' and coloring to determine the right side to use. Secondly, I do not think the WC version cuts as well as Abranet.

The good news: you don't see as much sanding dust. The bad news: since you don't see as much sanding dust, it is likely not cutting as well.

The jury is still out in my opinion. I'll have to play with it some more.

Woodchipper

I have used drywall screen for sanding wood and cork rod grips. Cork is soft and the screen will take it down real quick. However, there isn't a big choice in grits.

greenacres2

I've got some of Peachtree's version--seems to work well, but I've not tried anything similar. Both sides DO feel alike, like you could flip it--BUT--the Peachtree has writing on the back in blue ink. If you flip it over, the blue ink melts onto your blank--shows up very well on maple. Don't ask how I know that!!
earl

Top Bottom