Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwa60

Heather wood comes from Scotland, it is a plant, they pick it, die it bundle it, sock it in resin, put it under pressure, and then wait.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I could not find a wood of that name. I am aware of low ground cover shrub named "heather" but nothing more.

Could it be a "local name"??

JohnU

It says...."The older heather is harvested from the hillsides, cut, cleaned, dyed and compressed into a block. The block is then cut and the pieces are shaped, sanded and lacquered. The end result: beautifully colored natural Heathergems."

It Sounds like a lot of time involved but I'm guessing you could do this with just about any small limbs or dried sticks. What I would do is check with local contractors or home builders and see about some "LVL beam" scraps and turn the pieces down to shape and color them with some dye and a Q-tip before clear coating or CA finishing.

Found this link about how they make it. Pretty neat. http://www.heathergems.com/makingheathergems.php

I just found this link to purchase cutoffs...Good luck! http://www.heathergems.com/item/Heathergems_MediumHeatherBlockEnd_13245_477_0_0.html I seen it was topic of discussion here back in 2009 with no success. I'm surprised to see they're selling cutoffs now.

Last edited:

Joey-Nieves

Keven was wright"Heathergems, as the name suggests, is the brand name for jewellery made from natural Scottish Heather. The raw materials are twigs that are dyed and compressed together using weights to form solid blocks that are then cut into the various shapes required to produce the jewellery that you see in the shops. The jewellery is Celtic/Scottish by design."

They have store in Los Angeles, SAn diego and Santa Barbara. Maybe if you contact them, they'll sell you some.

I think Keven's way would be easier, Collect the heather dry it and die, Maybe you can stabilize it, compress it or cast it and sell us some

Top Bottom