Stabilizing - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Trades, Gifts, & Wants > Completed
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Stabilizing

Good morning,
I've got some slightly spalted maple that will need to be stabilized to turn well. From our property, aged and want to turn pens for our sons. May have a few other blanks to do at the same time, not more than a small flat rate box full (though i'll take a look and see what else would benefit if a larger batch is more efficient.

Between work and life, I just don't have the time (or space!!) to add stabilizing YET, so could use a hand on this one. I've dragged my feet too long to ask for a turnaround by Christmas--but that would be awesome if it could be done. Price your time and materials to be fair to yourself--this stuff isn't free. Close to northwest Indiana might help, but with the speed of priority mail most of the continental US is "close".

Thanks,
Earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 55

Earl, are you looking for clear stabilized or stabilized/dyed? You'd have to mail it to me, obviously, since MN isn't that close. Couldn't guarantee that you'd have them back by Christmas, but if it's just clear stabilized, I can certainly try. Feel free to send me a PM!
Sprung is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 63

I am not positive about this, but woodnwhimsies.com in MO just might offer stabilizing service

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. We've crammed a lot of activity into 3 days, and tomorrow is full as well.

Matt--I got two to turn this afternoon, a little punky but no blow-outs and i'll use a CA finish to help them survive. Will PM you in the coming week anyway, but the sense of urgency is behind me.

Mal--didn't see anything on their web site, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there!! I'll take a deeper look, and perhaps shoot them an e-mail as well.

Thanks!!
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Earl,

In the past I have used River Ridge Products to have punky spalted materials stabilized. I was pleasured with the product and would use them again Wood Stablizing | River Ridge Products.

Wade
Old 11-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres2 View Post
Good morning,
I've got some slightly spalted maple that will need to be stabilized to turn well. From our property, aged and want to turn pens for our sons. May have a few other blanks to do at the same time, not more than a small flat rate box full (though i'll take a look and see what else would benefit if a larger batch is more efficient.

Between work and life, I just don't have the time (or space!!) to add stabilizing YET, so could use a hand on this one. I've dragged my feet too long to ask for a turnaround by Christmas--but that would be awesome if it could be done. Price your time and materials to be fair to yourself--this stuff isn't free. Close to northwest Indiana might help, but with the speed of priority mail most of the continental US is "close".

Thanks,
Earl

I'm sending you a PM, I do stabilizing.
Rifleman1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads