Rattle snake skins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Though I'd post here before looking elsewhere.
I'm looking for a couple of rattle snake skins, 2-3 foot in length. Prefer prairie then diamond back (in that order).
Post below or PM me.

edit in: I have a some copperhead and coral snake available to trade if interested.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tazhunter0

I have a few whole body ones minus the head in the freezer. The person I take them to likes to skin their own when they do blanks.

GaryMadore

I have a skin that I'm 99.9% certain is Prairie Rattler.

It is approximately 45" long, 4" wide in the middle, and 1.5" wide at the ends.

I'm more than willing to part with it, and the deal that would suit me best is if I could trade it for some blanks. In other words, I'd send the skin and you would cast it and send me back some blanks to turn.

I did this with someone here on IAP in the past and was very happy with the deal but I destroyed almost all the blanks before I got the hang of turning them without catching tools and so ripping out big chunks of the casting medium (not sure what it was, but it was pretty brittle). I managed to get just one Jr Gent out of the 3 sets I started with.

Anyway, if this sort of arrangement suits you, please message me and we can work out details.

Photos below...

Attachments

• skinz1.jpg
    skinz1.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 123
  • skinz2.jpg
    skinz2.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 140
  • skinz3.jpg
    skinz3.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 135

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Gary,

Learn from your past experience.

When you are gettting blanks from a caster, ask him to make a couple that are just his resin, nothing embedded, as practice blanks. Have him cast them with the blanks he is going to send you, with the snake skin in it.

Presently, "everyone and his brother" are casting blanks. There is a wide range of characteristics. If you don't turn a lot of resin blanks, this difference of characteristics can make turning a challenge.

KenV

Gary

Side note--- you are not the first to lose a snakeskin blank. They have been variable for a long time.

The good news is they can usually be recovered by recasting in PR or by a build up with CA glue ala JohnU techniques.

Recast is the easier route, and you should have little problem finding a caster these days. Be very careful trimming the ends a second time though.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Monty, I think that I have some. LMK tonight when I get home.
Will get in touch with you if I don't get another offer before this evening

I have a few whole body ones minus the head in the freezer. The person I take them to likes to skin their own when they do blanks.
Thanks, but we are too far apart to get together to the frozen snakes (PM sent)

I have a skin that I'm 99.9% certain is Prairie Rattler.

It is approximately 45" long, 4" wide in the middle, and 1.5" wide at the ends.

I'm more than willing to part with it, and the deal that would suit me best is if I could trade it for some blanks. In other words, I'd send the skin and you would cast it and send me back some blanks to turn.

I did this with someone here on IAP in the past and was very happy with the deal but I destroyed almost all the blanks before I got the hang of turning them without catching tools and so ripping out big chunks of the casting medium (not sure what it was, but it was pretty brittle). I managed to get just one Jr Gent out of the 3 sets I started with.

Anyway, if this sort of arrangement suits you, please message me and we can work out details.

Photos below...
Thanks, but I really need the skins ASAP as I need to cast them next weekend as I need a couple of pens for my show the first of October. Doubt I'd get them from you in time.

JohnU

I can help you out. I've got 3 here you can have. Just PM me your address and I'll have them out in the morning, priority mail.

GaryMadore

Hey Gary,

Learn from your past experience.

<snip>

If you don't turn a lot of resin blanks, this difference of characteristics can make turning a challenge.

Hey Ed! Long time, no talk. Thanks for the sage advice.

Gary

<snip>

The good news is they can usually be recovered by recasting in PR or by a build up with CA glue ala JohnU techniques.

Thanks Ken. Unfortunately, I tossed all the wrecked ones in the trash long ago. Next time, though.... :)

Thanks, but I really need the skins ASAP as I need to cast them next weekend as I need a couple of pens for my show the first of October. Doubt I'd get them from you in time.

OK. Would have Fedex'd 'em but you likely have better, local, sources. Hope you get 'em done in time.

Cheers!

Gary

Top Bottom