Nova Chuck Package

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That is a great deal.
I picked up one of those packages at WC then ordered a second G3 from Amazon ($104 with the insert).
Now I'm trolling eBay for a good deal on another G3 or a Super Nova 2 so I don't have to change jaws so often.

eharri446

Edgar, did you get the special package that Wood Craft has on sale? If not, you might want to look into it since it comes with three extra sets of jaws.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar, did you get the special package that Wood Craft has on sale? If not, you might want to look into it since it comes with three extra sets of jaws.

I did - that's why I went to Amazon and bought another G3 chuck so that I would have two chucks to go with all those jaws. :)

eharri446

I saw this deal in my monthly catalog before it even went on sale and posted it in the Pen Turners forum.

I was getting ready to buy a set of the mini cole jaws to replace a missing segment of my original set.

I was also going to buy another G3 so that I could avoid swapping out jaws all the time. However, when I got that catalog and noticed that it was going to be on sale with all the extras I jumped on the deal.

Skie_M

I didn't realize it needed the insert.

Depends on the spindle on your lathe ...

Some people are working with your typical midi or mid range or full size lathe that have the 1 inch 10 teeth per inch spindle.

On the other hand, many of the mini lathes and some of the midi lathes use a 3/4 inch 16 teeth per inch spindle, in which case I would need that spindle adapter (the insert) in order to use the chuck, as I have a mini wood lathe.

I find that it fits pretty well inside the body of the chuck or other accessory, adding only 3/16ths of an inch to the front of my spindle. Very acceptable, and typically my chuck turns perfectly on center.

That's a decent price point for a Nova chuck, and it would use the C series of chuck jaws available from PSI as well! In my case, it made more sense for me (at the time, since it was on sale) to order PSI's general purpose C series chuck, with accessories. It was 89 dollars, plus 10 dollars shipping and handling ... came with the same insert, the chuck body, 3 sets of jaws, and as an added bonus it came with the jaw extensions with rubber gripping pins for turning a bowl or plate by the lip so that you can finish the bottom.

I think the main difference between my chuck and the nova is that the nova comes with a keyed chuck for one-handed operation, while I use the 2 tommy bars to tighten and thus it's more of a 2-handed thing. If that were more of a consideration for me, then yes ... I'ld shell out the extra 50 bucks to get the Nova. In any case, it's still a nice deal. As all the jaws I have for my chuck are 100% compatible with that Nova, I may decide to grab the main body of the Nova with insert for 104 dollars myself, and have a more convenient method for chucking up on the lathe while keeping a dedicated chuck for certain things that I do often.

JoeyGee

I am so close to picking up that set tomorrow. I don't have a chuck and that would give me quite a few jaw options.

Camardelle

Mine is on the UPS truck for delivery and left the facility at 5:30 this morning. Unfortunately the UPS distribution center here is 8 or 9 miles from my house which means that it won't get here till late this evening when the driver (nice kid!) makes his return back. :mad:

mike4066

Does anyone know if this is reversible?

I'd like to buy a second chuck, but want to future proof my equipment in case my next lathe has reverse.

JD Combs Sr

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Doesn't being reversible depend on which insert you buy for it? This insert has the set-screw. This is the 1-1/4 version with the set-screw.

Interesting. I don't recall that insert being available when I was buying 1x8 inserts a couple years ago. Or I missed them.

They were only selling the direct thread reversible and was indicated for the nova comet I believe.

The thing to watch out for is where the threads are on your spindle. My jet 1221 is such that I believe the set screw would either land on a thread or possibly the smooth part. Not offering much safety really.

My jet 1642 has a groove cut into the spindle that the set screw sits in offering a fair measure of safety compared to the alternative on the 1x8 lathe.

I'd suspect that maybe some other midi lathes are now better suited to the set screw setup?

Top Bottom