MT0 Pen mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sauerkraut

Hey all,

I just picked up an old Jet pen lathe, and it unfortunately came without the pen Mandrel. While a mt1 sort of works, I'd like to get the correct part on there, and am searching out a MT0 pen mandrel.

If you have a spare, please let me know.

Thanks!

-Justin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sprung

I've not seen a mandrel with a MT0 driver. However, there are still a couple options if a MT0 mandrel isn't to be found.

I looked up the manual online and if it is this lathe, the spindle threading is 3/4"-16tpi, so this mandrel would work and would thread on to the spindle.

The other option is to skip the mandrel and turn between centers. You'll need a dead center for the headstock and a live center for the tailstock.

dogcatcher

I haven't looked, but see if either Sherline or Taig lathes have pen mandrels. If not, I would consider getting the Taig lathe collet chuck and collets. With the collet chuck you can use a mandrel with a plain end or even turn between centers.

magpens

The MT0 is pretty rare !

Well, I see that there is indeed a MT0, but I never knew that before now ....

https://littlemachineshop.com/reference/tapers.php

.... and I certainly have never seen one.

Sprung's first suggestion, above, is your best option, in my opinion.

You can also take his second suggestion. . A MT0 dead center and a MT0 live center are available as I see here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MT0-Lathe-D...-Degree-Point-0-Morse-Taper-New-/291641956830

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MT0-Live-Center-/322170648777

Doing as dogcatcher suggested may present some challenges because I don't know what the internal spindle taper is on a Taig lathe. . As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected on this), Taig does not provide a separate collet chuck. . They do provide a set of collets which fit directly into the Taig spindle (whatever the the taper is) and a collet nut to hold them in.

This link gives a good picture of that set of collets and the nut:

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2317&category=1267830054

But I think you may have trouble using them on your lathe.

The Taig and Sherline lathes differ significantly in the architecture of their headstocks as some people have noted in this link:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.crafts.metalworking/bA6VS88nMIM/1eMktiq47jIJ

so I have the feeling that the Taig collets won't fit your lathe (although the nut will).

So I think that Sprung's first suggestion is your best bet, although you will still have to have a MT0 live center for your tailstock.
That is a very important point because you can't use any mandrel without this live center in the tailstock.
I am thinking that you may already know this but it is worth stating just in case.

The reason a MT1 "sort of" works in your lathe can be understood by studying the right hand column in the table given in my first link, and that is because all Morse Tapers have "approximately" the same angle but differ in their diameter and length.

Getting the right accessories for your particular lathe will improve the accuracy of your pen making and increase the satisfaction and pleasure you get from the hobby.

By the way, welcome to IAP !!!! . Write a very brief entry in the "Introductions" forum and you could win a prize if you are lucky !

Last edited:

Sprung

Having a Taig lathe myself, I can confirm that it does NOT accept a morse taper, but rather the spindle accepts ER16 collets. The threaded item that dogcatcher mentioned that is in item 1040 is just the nut that threads on the spindle to hold the collets in the spindle - like the front nut on a Beall collet chuck. So the Taig collets would not work in a MT0 spindle.

KenV

Justine --

I have only encountered a MT0 in real life once. That is a taper used for a Shereline lathe tailstock. If you look at the dimensions, the MT0 is roughly an extension of a MT1. There is little overlap between MTs.

Have you inspected the headstock taper for crud, corrosion, or damage???

Have you measured the tapers on the drive and live centers? Visual exam of the pictures in the manual (and Jet avoidance of non standard parts if possible) suggest you do have the standard MT1. Quick check,with calipers will settle the question. (Measuring the headstock opening will also provide a check dimension.

My bet is the headstock taper has a problem that needs to be fixed. If damaged, there are MT1 reamers to cleans up. Borrow one if possible as one needs them seldom.

magpens

I see that Taig does offer an ER16 collet adapter for their spindle at this link:

Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes.

They also sell standard ER16 collets which are double the price of their proprietary collets.

Thanks to dogcatcher for alerting me/us to this info.

This thread has been quite educational for me .... thanks for starting it Sauerkraut, and thanks to all others for responding.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Another option is a drill chuck on the headstock, Taig sells an adapter that a screw on 3/8-24 drill chuck will fit. But if the collet set up will work, I think you will be happier with it, the drill chuck with the adapter takes up a lot space, your working distance will be shortened considerably. Items 1090 through 1095 and 1140 through 1150 on the Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes. link. Not sure which of these you would need, again I would contact Taig and ask.

Sauerkraut

Wow... Boy do you guys know your stuff. Although I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised as this is the forum to be at for pen turning.

For starters, yes Sprung, I saw that PSI offered the screw on mandrel that would fit my lathe. I Cleaned off the threads, and am going to be pulling the trigger on one of those mandrels if I can't get lucky with a MT0 mandrel.

Magpens, boy is that some good info! I do currently have a live center for the tailstock, and it's what I'm using now with the MT1 mandrel. Interesting that they all share the same taper, and that's why it "sort of works".

Kenv, yes I'm sure she takes a mt0 mandrel, it says in the manual. There's actually an identical lathe with the mt0 pen mandrel on ebay right now, so you can can get a visual idea of what she looks like. Jet Pen Mini Lathe w Mandrel Machinist Shopsmith JPL-358 18 x 6.5" Works VGC . That's way too much of an asking price though as I understand they could be had for under $100 new when they were being made...

I'm one of those oddballs that has to have all the original accessories for his equipment if possible. I'm really hoping someone picked up a spare when they were being made, and wouldn't mind parting with it here. If not, that PSI screw on mandrel will be my next bet.

This has been informative for me so far, thank you all who have contributed. Pic below for reference on how the mt1 mandrel fits in it.
https://i.imgur.com/8K1FRGU.jpg

Top Bottom