looking for new or used lathe chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wp2265

I am looking for a new or used lathe chuck for my lathe. I am new to turning and don't have a lot of money to spend. I am hoping to find a new or used 4 or 6 jaw chuck. I am trying to do bowl turning and currently am doing pen turning. My spindle size is 3/4 by 16 but I can always get an adapter to fit. If anyone has anything please contact me. wp2265@yahoo.com

Skie_M

I like my Barracuda II.. I got it from PSI while they were on sale, with several included jaws, for 140 dollars, plus shipping cost. This is a 4-jaw, key operated chuck, so you'll like that it has 1-handed operation for while you're trying to mount your bowl blank in it.

I've used my Utility Grip chuck a few times as well, also from PSI. This one also came with a nice variety of chuck jaws, and they are also interchangeable with the Barracuda II chuck. It was 90 dollars + 10 dollars shipping to get this one. Main differences are ... this one came with the jumbo flat jaws (which are used to grip a bowl or platter by it's rim so you can turn and finish the bottom), and it's operation is via use of the "tommy bars", so it's 2-handed to tighten and loosen, making it a little more difficult to use for mounting a large and heavy bowl blank.

What I did when mounting something larger and heavier in my Utility Grip - Make the chuck opening just a little bigger than the work piece mortise or tenon, get the work piece in position, and bring the tailstock center up to hold it in place while I make fine adjustments and tighten it down.

Top Bottom