Japanese cherry wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

Looking for pieces large enough for blank making from the following varieties of Japanese Cherry trees. Need quite a bit, so any leads appreciated.

Somei-Yoshino
Ari ake
Fugen-zo
Fuku-roku-ju
Gyo-i-ko
Ichiyo
Jo*nioi
Kwan-zan
Mikuruma*gayeshi
Shira-yuki
Surugadai*nioi
Taki*nioi

Thanks
Jon

Herb G

Hey Jon, contact the National Park Service in DC. They probably have some of that wood at least, from trimming the cherry trees around the Tidal Basin. Mostly Yoshino, IIRC.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I got jumped on by neighbors when I was in Japan for trimming a cherry tree in my yard that I had planted about 10 years earlier. "You trim other trees but not cherry trees." I kinda think that was a local thing (in the ancient capitol area of Nara) but never asked anyone else.

I told them that this was a cherry "fruit" tree, not the national flowering types, but that didn't matter. I did get some puzzled questions from many Japanese as to why I wanted a cherry "fruit" tree. The cherry fruit trees had much more pink flowers that neighbors and visitors confused with peach tree blossoms.

WOW Jon, you are getting far more into the wood than I ever did. But the cherry was off limits to me! :wink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom