Historical Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keepanionme14

I've seen some sites that say they have made pens from civil war witness wood. There's a charity event in my area that benefits Children's Miracle Network. I live pretty close to Gettysburg and think a civil war pen from PSI paired with some witness wood or something made from an old musket stock would do very well. Any historical wood I think would work.

Does anyone have, or know where I could get, something like this?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Check in with the local historical society groups and see if they have a lead or can point you to their arborist. Often some of the groups sell he historic wood blanks.
Hook up with the civil war reenactors. They should have good leads too.

Also, some of the gun clubs or a gunsmith may have a member with some old gun stocks.
Good Luck

keepanionme14

Thanks for the suggestion, Charlie.

I was in touch with Gettysburg national park service. Their arborists are their employees and they aren't permitted, by federal law, to sell or even give away any woods from storm damage or pruning.

I have one lead that I'm pursuing. I'd love to be able to find a variety of blanks, but I'm coming up dry.

BKelley

Jim,
I have some oak pen blanks from the Unknown Confederate section of the Stone Mountain City Cemetery. They come with a post card showing the First National Confederate Flag flying above the graves of the unknown Confederate Soldiers. Would they work for you?

Ben

keepanionme14

Ben,

That sounds awesome! I have some wood on its way to me from Gettysburg. It's a honey locust tree that President Lincoln was standing under when he gave the Gettysburg Address. To me, that's a Union portion. With this being the Confederate portion, I think that would be a great addition!

PM incoming.

Thank you,
Jim

Dan Masshardt

Ben,

That sounds awesome! I have some wood on its way to me from Gettysburg. It's a honey locust tree that President Lincoln was standing under when he gave the Gettysburg Address. To me, that's a Union portion. With this being the Confederate portion, I think that would be a great addition!

PM incoming.

Thank you,
Jim

Wow, that's a great find on that wood. Would love to get ahold of a couple sticks of something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom