Figured walnut root blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fersfigure

I have 20 highly figured walnut root blanks for sale. I'd like 10 a piece. Plus shipping. They are not "off cuts". I cut up a 1 inch slab solely to make high quality blanks. They measure 1×1×5 with a little bit a variation. They have not had any chemicals added to them whatsoever. I wanted to keep them but some times life throws a curve ball.

Attachments

• 20180912_140159.jpg
    20180912_140159.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 20181013_104544-1.jpg
    20181013_104544-1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20181013_104752-1.jpg
    20181013_104752-1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 20180911_191249.jpg
    20180911_191249.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 247
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fersfigure

Ouch? I have another post asking for average pricing. I am a logger by trade. I started saving burls and roots because I heard of their value. I was told to contact turners. I have since done so and it really surprises me. What is the average price for highly figure walnut root blanks that have been air dried? From a reputable source. Not Joe I "found this wood" from up the road.

Dehn0045

I generally consider Cook Woods to have some of the highest quality wood available on the internet: https://www.cookwoods.com/collections/walnut-claro . Comparing with some of the peppermill blanks that they have, you are looking at about $2 to $3 per blank. Gilmer is another retail site, and their prices tend to be a little less: https://www.gilmerwood.com/search/results?utf8=✓&q=walnut . I already have too many blanks, but when I was a buyer I wouldn't go much over $3 a blank. For comparison, the most that I have spent on unstabilized wood blanks is $9 ea, and that was for amboyna with heart/sap contrast -- and looking back I probably overpaid.

If you sand the blanks and photo all four sides after spraying and number each of them, you can get a little bit more per blank, but its a lot of work. Buyers tend to pay a little more if they can see exactly what they are getting. But they will also pick out the best blanks from the batch, and you'll be left with the dogs.

Last, reputation means a lot. I see sellers on IAP that get close to double market value because they have a good reputation, treat their customers right, and buyers come back.

Just my 2 cents

MRDucks2

Hey, Chris - a couple of things to consider, don't take anything I post offensively. Just things to think about.

First, realize that while you may be an expert in your field, you just joined this forum in September and these are your first items posted to sell. So, while you may consider yourself a reputable source, most folks on here do not know you or your reputation. Sellers Reputation here seems to be built on the following, in no particular order:

Quality of blanks
Timeliness of communication
Timeliness of shipping
Standard shipping prices
Price of blanks
Ease of payment

Second - for the highest quality blanks, most of us have sources that we would pay top dollar to because the items above have already been established.

Third - $10 is a top price for a high end walnut blank from a reputable source. Though it may not be needed for your walnut, many root burls will have been stabilized to achieve this price point.

Also, many of the most reputable sources that list what we may call exhibition grade blanks on here actually offer better prices that we may be able to get elsewhere. Why? Because they either have a lot of the wood and/or because they know who their buyers are in this community. (Or maybe they just like us)

Just from some quick research, I would guess top price for your blanks to be in the $8-$9 range. Average price for your blanks in the $3-$6 range.

I have a trusted source less than hour from my house that sells walnut burl pen blanks from a large inventory for $5.95 every day. I can go and tell them what I want and they will bring blanks out for me to look at until I like what I see.

Finally, there is a lot of value in roots and burls. Premium walnut lumber can easily run from $10-$30 a board foot retail. Much more than you get as a logger.

Pen blanks can easily bring 3-5x that per board foot, sometimes more. Your price indicates your walnut is worth nearly $300 a board foot. That is quite a premium.

It may well be worth that. But it could take some convincing the buyers on here that the new guy has wood worth that much.

You may consider lowering your price, get some positive feedback, gain a reputation and raise your price as you get more orders and the demand goes up. That tends to be the most common business cycle, though some have achieved great business by other means.

Good luck and great sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Chris,

I hesitated to reply to this thread, and also to your first thread, because I am not sure how my experience compares to the product you are selling. . There used to be a guy in Turkey who sold Turkish Walnut pen blanks in our Vendor Forums here. I bought some from him on several occasions and they were priced rather cheaply and were absolutely stunning in appearance and quality. . It seems that he has removed himself from our Vendor Forums.

I just did a google search for "Turkish Walnut For Sale" and found this link, which may be of interest to you, both for pricing your blanks, and as a guide for presenting pictures here on IAP for potential buyers you might hope to attract.

Hope this helps - :

https://www.turkishwalnut.net/penblanks.htm

Last edited:

Fersfigure

Any constructive criticism is welcome. Nor would I take offense to it. I actually asked for it in the other post. I am a professional timber harvester. I am not the best at marketing though. I have researched figured wood for a while. I see random prices that vary dramatically. I even found 4 blanks for 140 dollars. I've read that walnut does not take well to being stabilized. As much as 50% loss on some. Kiln dried has a tendency to change the colors. Root wood can have huge color contrast. I tried Facebook a few times. Once I tried to get an offer for a burl measuring 27×32 and was told I will not pay you, but haul it off I stopped. Same with people demanding 1 dollar per blank for burl wood. 8-14 is common. I haven't had a chance to look at Cook or Gilmer. I WANT to turn it. But life happens. I have an abundance of stock right now. It would help if I could sell some. Lowering the price would necessarily be much of a problem.

Fersfigure

Cookwoods does not have any balck walnut pen blanks. Or black walnut root pen blanks. Prices vary. Their stocks are approximately 400 a piece. I can't find a way to post pictures in my replies yet.

cdwrrtx

Posting pics... use the paperclip, top row next to the smilie face. Pics need to be somewhat small in size to upload. 3 meg I think for a jpg.

Fersfigure

I wasn't asking a 10th of their price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-06-13-33-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-10-06-13-33-05.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_2018-10-15-15-57-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-10-15-15-57-15.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 20180916_151514.jpg
    20180916_151514.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 156

Dehn0045

Cookwoods does not have any balck walnut pen blanks. Or black walnut root pen blanks. Prices vary. Their stocks are approximately 400 a piece. I can't find a way to post pictures in my replies yet.

Claro and black are very similar (in appearance and price). Curly/crotch/burl/root are all a little different, but command similar price. Their XF peppermill blank costs about $40 and would yield about 18 pen blanks ($2.22 per blank). A $375 gun stock set would yield about 82 pen blanks ($4.57 per blank) -- keep in mind this material has already been milled for specialty use, was seasoned for 5 years, and has been in their inventory, on a slick website, unsold for over a year.

This might be a better comparison for you: Walnut Burl Pen Blank - WoodTurningz

Top Bottom