worst customer service on the PLANET

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerH

I am a relative newbie to pen turning, having done about 200 in the last year. In that time I've also done a ton of key chains, bottle stoppers, pizza cutters, ice cream scoops, game calls, perfume atomizers, you name it and I've made some. And, frankly, I've been pretty successful at it. Before pen turning, I had done 20 years worth of bowls, candle sticks, vases, segmented turning, spindles for furniture repair/cradles etc. etc., and other wood working.

Like many of us, I started my pen turning by using my local Woodcraft store, and I still frequent them for items I have to have today. Ditto for Rockler. Like the availability, quality and service but prices not that great.

So, a few months after I started pen turning, I found Penn State. Fantastic web site in my opinion, good prices, terrific selection, and when I ordered, I liked the merchandise if not the VERY slow delivery. I have read numerous times that others have had the same experience.

In the last year, my adult son and I (we run our sales together, particularly at shows) have done what I would guess would be about $4,000-5,000 of business with PSI. Put it this way-it is enough so that I have purchased from them at least some of every category of items that I've made, and in many cases, the majority of items. I have more of their bushing sets than I can count.

Anyway, I was shorted some parts on a Majestic Jr. kit about two months ago, as well as getting 5-6 defective detachable key chain kits (ball bearings fell out). I had never spoken to them by phone, though I had read both good and bad about their service on IAP. Nonetheless, I was shocked when they said that they wouldn't just send me the parts, but wanted me to send the whole pen kit and all the key chains back, and they would send replacements. What-am I a thief, despite the fact that they gladly accept my debit and credit cards?

After a long time on the phone, I asked for and spoke to a supervisor. He said he'd send me a whole new Majestic Jr. kit, I could use what parts I needed, and I could then send the rest of the kit back. Fair enough. Ditto on the key chains ($5 items), but I still have to send back the defective key chains or we can't help you, which seemed silly because they are such small/cheap items.

I received the stuff from Penn State/PSI in the typical week and half (what the heck is up with that?), but they sent the wrong key chain kits. Sooooo-I sent them back with the parts I didn't need from the Majestic Jr. What happens? They send me a notice that the post office won't deliver to my address (strange-I have never had that problem in 5 years, and they mail packages to my house all the time) and so they have charged my credit card for the Majestic Jr. and all the key chains (weird that they CAN deliver an invoice, but they say that the post office won't deliver to my address). Anyway, remember they have ALREADY RECEIVED BOTH THE PEN KIT AND THE WRONG KEY CHAIN KITS FROM ME, as well as some of the defective key chains.

Soooooo, today I call them once again. I spend an hour on the phone with a nice young man from customer service who loves to talk and interrupt, but doesn't like to listen. I find myself wondering how he ever came to work in customer service. To his credit, after 55 minutes, he agrees to credit my account for the incorrect charge they made. Great, now what about the key chains? No can do-I didn't send back every stinkin' part or the bags from the kits-so no credit, no replacement. I pointed out that they had originally said "just send back the defective part and we will replace them", but as I said, this young man was long on talking, but I seriously doubt he even knew what active listening was. I finally asked to talk to his supervisor.

After about another 5 minutes on hold, Kathy came on the line, identified herself at the head of customer service, and said "I understand you have kept my employee on the line for the last hour". I KEPT HER EMPLOYEE ON THE PHONE ????? In my youth, I would have sworn at her. Instead, at the age of 56, I just stammered that I couldn't believe the head of customer service would take the position that one of her employees helping a customer (actually, keeping me on hold for most of the 55 minutes while he was checking out what I told him) would be an imposition.

Ok, I 've written too much. But suffice to say that I will NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES order directly from Penn State/PSI. I love Woodturninz, so if I absolutely have to have some proprietary item sold only by PSI, I will let Woodturningz deal with them, and let them make the profit.

I simply can't imagine in this economy that any for-profit company acts like Penn State/PSI does. Horrible, simply horrible. And they know it, because they fairly regularly get these kind of complaints on IAP.

Lest anyone think that I don't like suppliers, ask El Mostro, Indy Pen Dance, Exotic Blanks, Woodturningz, Wood N Whimsies, Arizona Silhouette, Toni Ransfield, Ankrom Blanks, etc. what they think of me. I have done business with all of them, and more, and have had not one dispute.

Can't wait for Levy to come on here and deny all, and send his minions to tell us how great they are. A pox on Penn State/PSI's house.

Roger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Seems like a lot of analogies fit your situation. It all boils down to: they alienated a good customer over a minor problem. Dumped $0000 over $00. Makes a person shake their head.

el_d

Wow!!!

I read the title and called it without even reading the post.

Sorry to hear about your problems with them but I'm on our bandwagon.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Normally I don't like Jeers because most people who post them haven't taken the time to contact the company to try and get a resolution.

It certainly sounds like you have, however, - especially if you've spoken with the head of customer service, as you say.

You mention that you don't want Ed to come and chime in, but I certainly hope that he does, so that you can get a good resolution to your obviously crappy situation.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Normally I don't like Jeers because most people who post them haven't taken the time to contact the company to try and get a resolution.

It certainly sounds like you have, however, - especially if you've spoken with the head of customer service, as you say.

You mention that you don't want Ed to come and chime in, but I certainly hope that he does, so that you can get a good resolution to your obviously crappy situation.

Let's clarify that's Ed Levy, not me.

beck3906

Please understand that I'm not questioning your integrity, but I would like to offer an opposing arguement.

I've had conversations with vendors over the last several months where the vendor described means that customers tried to obtain free goods or services. Some stories told of how a prospectrive customer would call and ask for a free sample only to never order when asked later about the product.

Other stories told of customers calling to claim a certain item was missing and then call days later claiming other items were missing from the same assembly. The appearance was that the customer was trying to get enough parts to get a complete second item.

I can understand Penn State's desire to have the incorrect or bad assemblies returned as this shows good faith on the customer's behalf that the item was in fact a problem.

We've had previous threads where members told of returning items to big box stores to obtain replacements when the item should not have been returned. Similar discussions alluded to members pulling similar tactics with our vendors.

Vendors who have a no-questions-asked replacement policy will only allow this policy until they feel they are being taken advantage of. I see several who have adjusted their return policy because of customer abuse over the years. One vendor adjusted their policy on fountain pen nib returns because customers abused the nibs and then claimed the nib was defective.

Other threads tell of customers wanting a replacement blank and kit when it appears the customer didn't have the skills necessary to turn that blank. I just received blanks where the vendor clearly states that replacements will not be made for poor turning techniques. I assume full responsibility once I begin trimming or turning.

Your other comments about shipping and such aren't addressed in my response. I too have been held at the mercy of Penn State over shipping times. I have learned to allow for this problem.

I can tell one story that many of you haven't heard. I once received a shipment from Penn State in a clear garbage bag. Seems the box was shredded and the post office dumped everything into a garbage bag and delivered it to my door. It was rather funny when I described the situation to customer service. Pictures I sent resulted in many apologies. BTW. I did have to return the garbage sack and all of its contents.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
You, my friend, have met Penn State Industries. I try to avoid them like the plague. I too use Woodturningz. Fortunately, I'm only about 25 minutes or so from them and it doesn't take long for them to get stuff from PSI. I guess you have to buy lots to get good service. As long as you keep dealing with the seven or eight vendors you mentioned in your last paragraph, you should have NO problems.

I am a relative newbie to pen turning, having done about 200 in the last year. In that time I've also done a ton of key chains, bottle stoppers, pizza cutters, ice cream scoops, game calls, perfume atomizers, you name it and I've made some. And, frankly, I've been pretty successful at it. Before pen turning, I had done 20 years worth of bowls, candle sticks, vases, segmented turning, spindles for furniture repair/cradles etc. etc., and other wood working.

Like many of us, I started my pen turning by using my local Woodcraft store, and I still frequent them for items I have to have today. Ditto for Rockler. Like the availability, quality and service but prices not that great.

So, a few months after I started pen turning, I found Penn State. Fantastic web site in my opinion, good prices, terrific selection, and when I ordered, I liked the merchandise if not the VERY slow delivery. I have read numerous times that others have had the same experience.

In the last year, my adult son and I (we run our sales together, particularly at shows) have done what I would guess would be about $4,000-5,000 of business with PSI. Put it this way-it is enough so that I have purchased from them at least some of every category of items that I've made, and in many cases, the majority of items. I have more of their bushing sets than I can count.

Anyway, I was shorted some parts on a Majestic Jr. kit about two months ago, as well as getting 5-6 defective detachable key chain kits (ball bearings fell out). I had never spoken to them by phone, though I had read both good and bad about their service on IAP. Nonetheless, I was shocked when they said that they wouldn't just send me the parts, but wanted me to send the whole pen kit and all the key chains back, and they would send replacements. What-am I a thief, despite the fact that they gladly accept my debit and credit cards?

After a long time on the phone, I asked for and spoke to a supervisor. He said he'd send me a whole new Majestic Jr. kit, I could use what parts I needed, and I could then send the rest of the kit back. Fair enough. Ditto on the key chains ($5 items), but I still have to send back the defective key chains or we can't help you, which seemed silly because they are such small/cheap items.

I received the stuff from Penn State/PSI in the typical week and half (what the heck is up with that?), but they sent the wrong key chain kits. Sooooo-I sent them back with the parts I didn't need from the Majestic Jr. What happens? They send me a notice that the post office won't deliver to my address (strange-I have never had that problem in 5 years, and they mail packages to my house all the time) and so they have charged my credit card for the Majestic Jr. and all the key chains (weird that they CAN deliver an invoice, but they say that the post office won't deliver to my address). Anyway, remember they have ALREADY RECEIVED BOTH THE PEN KIT AND THE WRONG KEY CHAIN KITS FROM ME, as well as some of the defective key chains.

Soooooo, today I call them once again. I spend an hour on the phone with a nice young man from customer service who loves to talk and interrupt, but doesn't like to listen. I find myself wondering how he ever came to work in customer service. To his credit, after 55 minutes, he agrees to credit my account for the incorrect charge they made. Great, now what about the key chains? No can do-I didn't send back every stinkin' part or the bags from the kits-so no credit, no replacement. I pointed out that they had originally said "just send back the defective part and we will replace them", but as I said, this young man was long on talking, but I seriously doubt he even knew what active listening was. I finally asked to talk to his supervisor.

After about another 5 minutes on hold, Kathy came on the line, identified herself at the head of customer service, and said "I understand you have kept my employee on the line for the last hour". I KEPT HER EMPLOYEE ON THE PHONE ????? In my youth, I would have sworn at her. Instead, at the age of 56, I just stammered that I couldn't believe the head of customer service would take the position that one of her employees helping a customer (actually, keeping me on hold for most of the 55 minutes while he was checking out what I told him) would be an imposition.

Ok, I 've written too much. But suffice to say that I will NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES order directly from Penn State/PSI. I love Woodturninz, so if I absolutely have to have some proprietary item sold only by PSI, I will let Woodturningz deal with them, and let them make the profit.

I simply can't imagine in this economy that any for-profit company acts like Penn State/PSI does. Horrible, simply horrible. And they know it, because they fairly regularly get these kind of complaints on IAP.

Lest anyone think that I don't like suppliers, ask El Mostro, Indy Pen Dance, Exotic Blanks, Woodturningz, Wood N Whimsies, Arizona Silhouette, Toni Ransfield, Ankrom Blanks, etc. what they think of me. I have done business with all of them, and more, and have had not one dispute.

Can't wait for Levy to come on here and deny all, and send his minions to tell us how great they are. A pox on Penn State/PSI's house.

Roger

danrs

more on psi

I have found that if you order the items they have through Amazon they arrive at my front door in about a third of the time it takes if ordered directly from PSI--go figure.

The one time I talked to customer service about adding to an order she reacted as though I was a lot of trouble --bothering them.

Canadian_Kid

I hate poor customer service and wasting hours on the phone trying to get things made rite, but sometimes it is needed. A good company would have recognized that you buy from them frequently and just replaced the parts. If you haven't done so check out Timberbits (I buy 99% of my parts for school from them and their service is top notch).

Woodlvr

I will only say this, I do not understand how a company can stay in business treating people as poorly as they have obviously done over and over again. I had a $50 order that never arrived customer service supported mye that the package was not sent, BUT I could have have a refund, they had my order number, credit card info but were not willing to step up to the plate and admit a mistaqke had happened (no matter who's mistake it was) and send me a refund. I sent the owners at least a dozen emails to no avail. Mot eve n one answer from the lazy bums addressing my issue. Even sending Mr Levy a pm on here he just ignored the email as hes does at his company. It is too bad that there is not a government agency that could check out his operation and see if it is some kind of a wayward ponzi scheme setup because if people do not get their product or refunds then there are serious laws being broken there. Even my credit card company at the time would not help me with the issue of having paid and not having anything at all shipped, to me that was total robbery, over a $50 sale, he lost a penmaker/woodworker customer who purchases all of his product from his competitors, as if he cares. Which we know that he does not obvoiously. Just saying. Pathetic company practices. Im done sorry, but $50 does not come easy to us on SS especially with health issues and only SS to live on. I am sorry for your suffering and pray that someone will pull their head out and help you. My $50 is long gone and he will only receive all of the negativity and negative comments that I can muster after being reated like I was. Now I am really finished.

dgerwin11

A few weeks ago I purchased their advanced starter kit with multi speed lathe. Some of the kits were missing tubes and something else, can't remember now. I emailed them and am still waiting for an answer, which apparently will never come. Too many horror stories about them. Too many other vendors with good reputations to deal with their aggravation. The cost of the missing parts is such that I will just purchase them elsewhere and write it off as a lesson learned.

On a more positive note. The belt o the lathe I got from them looks kind of flimsy (manufacturer issue, not PSI). I called them and ordered a replacement belt and actually had it far sooner than expected. Did not want to be turning some Sunday and have a belt break and have to drive 50 miles to start searching for one. It is sfely tucked away with my two new unopened band saw blades.

louie68

Last week I purchase $100.00 worth of products from PSI ,Im still waiting for delivery,But what really got me was they charge me shipping charge and I ask them if there were any coupons or discounts on $100.00 purchase AND THER hEAD CUSTOMER SERVICE LADY SAID NO SO i EXCEPTED THAT, AND THEN FOR SOME REASON ON WENT ON FACEBOOK FOR PSI AND LOW AND BEHOLD THERE IT WAS FREE SHIPPING FOR ORDERS $75.00 OR MORE. nOW MY BLOODS STARTED BOILING i CALL KATHY IN CUSTOMER SERVICE BACK AND ASK HER WHY ON FACEBOOK THERE OFFERING FREE SHIPPING ON $75.00 ORDERS AND SHE SAID WE DON'T HAVE A FACEBOOK PAGE AND I SAID YES YOU DO WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IT? SHE KEPT DENYING IT. tHEN SHE SAID HOLD FOR A MOMENT THEN THEY TOOK THE OFFER DOWN ON FACEBOOK. i ASK FOR MY SHIPPING CHARGE RETURN AND AS OF RIGHT NOW HAS NOT HAPPEN!!! HERE'S THE PICTURE SORRY IT NOT TO CLEAR BUT IT DID HAPPEN

Attachments

• FREESHIPPING1.jpg
    FREESHIPPING1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 220

Woodlvr

How can Mr. Levy NOT be bothered by the way his customers are being treated by HIS employees, she basically called a customer a liar. I am totally flabbergasted by a company that conducts business this way. I totally do not understand.

cwolfs69

i feel for your frustration and inconvenience, not to mention the money involved.
however, i have had the opposite experience with penn state. yes their delivery is slow, but most people know that and adjust. but whenever i have had an issue with a product, they have responded quickly and very directly. i have called them about missing parts or defective parts and they have always shipped the item without question and usually quicker than a routine order. i have spent no where the money that you have, my records show that i have only spent about $2000 with them over the last year.
very sorry to hear about you experience with them.

Ligget

I never use Penn State Ind directly, last time I ordered some Executive PENS and making sure I ordered pens not pencils (as I don`t make many pencils at all) I checked the page over and my wife checked it too as a back up.

When the order eventually got to my house, they had sent me PENCIL kits!!!!!!! Aaarrrgggghhh

Too much hassle returning them so I just put them in my kit stock.

Rob73

PSI loses another customer...not surprised. You have a lot of patience, I sure would not of waited an hour on CS to deal with another smart ass. I would of said a few choice words and that would be the end of that.... Take the loss and move on.

IPD_Mr

Maybe I am missing something here. To me it feels like PSI wants to get away from the retail customer and deal with their distributors. And if that is what they want to do, great, but to continue in the retail realm just doesn't make sense to me.

To my IAP brethren:
As many posts that have been made about PSI, why in the world do people continue to deal with them when we have some of the best PSI re-sellers out there here on IAP. Woodnwhimsies and Woodturningz jump to the top. They can and will order anything from PSI, if they do not stock it. So my advice people, unless you are masochistic, is to buy those products that you like from one of the two places I mentioned. You will also pay less for it and get faster.

tim self

Well, sometimes you just gotta deal with them. I have a full size majestic with a scratched end cap. I called 3 wks ago for a replacement part, no problem. I told the lady "the end with the spring in it" where the rollerball refill ends against. Then when it arrived, it was the CAP END. I called back on Monday to reorder, told them the problem and I had a high end I couldn't sell. I was told "I'll put it on priority" Was notified yesterday the item was shipped. I guess 2 days is priority especially after waiting for 3 wks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom