Jeer usps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

endacoz

I just ordered pen blanks from rockb

I opened my door when I got home to see this package ripped open and nothing inside but the receipt from rockb.

How could they even think they could deliver a completely ripped open package with no explanation. I'm very upset. What do I do to handle this best?

Attachments

• 20150404_125330.jpg
    20150404_125330.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20150404_125340.jpg
    20150404_125340.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 20150404_125347.jpg
    20150404_125347.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20150404_125440.jpg
    20150404_125440.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150404_125453.jpg
    20150404_125453.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 20150404_125435.jpg
    20150404_125435.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 110
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Take it to the post office, they will give you a form to fill out to help them locate the contents.

It is automatically insured for $50, if this will cover the cost of the lost merchandise.

We just had a large flat rate arrive empty, with proof that it weighed 21 pounds when mailed. So, I am just getting familiar with the procedure (well over $1000 of blanks).

eajacobson

Ethan,

Sorry to hear and see that. One of the reasons I prefer boxes to envelopes. It is to be an envelope, the padded flat rate ones seem to be a lot better at resisting tears like that. They do allow more shifting of content, so there is a trade-off.

I agree with Ed - take it to your local Post Office and start the process. I'm not sure they will be able to find the lost items, but at least will be able to get you (some of) the value back.

Ed

eajacobson

Ed,

How does a LFRB lose its contents during shipping? Was it split open? If not, I'm even more worried about the USPS.

Ed

We just had a large flat rate arrive empty, with proof that it weighed 21 pounds when mailed. So, I am just getting familiar with the procedure (well over $1000 of blanks).

rockb

It happens..but always to the "other guy".. : (

Sorry about that Ethan.....guess those PO guys need a raise so they'll be more careful. ; )
First time I've had an envelope disintegrate like that...might have had a little help though. Sent you a PM so we'll get this thing under control.
By the way, going to be posting some new pieces today, Sat.
Have a great Easter Sunday tomorrow,
Rocky

SDB777

That some serious mishandling on the USPS behalf.....good luck with the 'process'. The one and only time I've had this happen the shipper(me in the case I'm speaking), had to do the insurance 'stuff'.....basically, I was told if the USPS container wasn't sealed with the use of USPS tape....sorry.

I ended up resending blanks to the customer while waiting for a answer.
(of whom I never heard from again unfortunately)

Scott (this Old House is on-yeah!) B

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,

How does a LFRB lose its contents during shipping? Was it split open? If not, I'm even more worried about the USPS.

Ed

What I am learning is that the boxes travel down long conveyors, apparently this one was ripped open as it traveled and left its contents wherever gravity deposited them. Understandably, if this happens to several boxes at once, the employees have no idea what belongs in which box. So, they taped up the holes and sent the empty box to complete it's merry trip.

Just happened last week, so we will know more after the paperwork chases the merchandise.

Fortunately, for me, our post office is getting pretty happy to see me with 3-6 bins of packages each day (hundreds of dollars of postage per day), so they have been VERY helpful. I suspect 6 years ago, they would not have been nearly as "friendly".

As I said, time will tell how much real help we will get.

jttheclockman

The problem here is the carrier should never had delivered the empty package. That should have been brought back to the post office and then they place it in a bag and send that to you it has a letter attached to it telling you what to do. I had this happen to me and the carrier delivered it. When I went back to the post office the head guy yelled at the carrier over the phone and then i felt bad. yes there are forms to fill out and it takes about a month to get results. Good luck.

jttheclockman

Ed,

Ed

What I am learning is that the boxes travel down long conveyors, apparently this one was ripped open as it traveled and left its contents wherever gravity deposited them. Understandably, if this happens to several boxes at once, the employees have no idea what belongs in which box. So, they taped up the holes and sent the empty box to complete it's merry trip.

Just happened last week, so we will know more after the paperwork chases the merchandise.

Fortunately, for me, our post office is getting pretty happy to see me with 3-6 bins of packages each day (hundreds of dollars of postage per day), so they have been VERY helpful. I suspect 6 years ago, they would not have been nearly as "friendly".

As I said, time will tell how much real help we will get.

I did a job in FedX warehouse some years ago. They were adding on some new conveyors. These things are all automated to the point where there are people who load trucks. Let me tell you it is a wonder things get lost or broken. Packages fly off the conveyors all the time. I got yelled at for picking one up and putting it back on the line:eek: Then when they are getting loaded onto the trucks it is another wonder they make it on. I had seen many packages laying on the ground in the rain and no one picks them up until I am guessing a certain time in the week they make a round.

Was there through the Christmas rush and let me tell you it is a nightmare and your life is in danger. The way the forklift trucks fly around the warehouse and the delivery trucks fly around the grounds outside. I was told they were going to shut our job down for the holidays which meant for weeks. But when they were told how much that would cost things changed quickly. :)

Got to love our mailing system.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would like to know what was shipped in it? A blank? something small or was it something that should have gone in a different priority package. I have had people send me stuff in those flat rate flat letter packages and had it ripped because what they shipped was wider than is supposed to be inside those envelopes. (over 1/2 an inch). If it had sharp edges it could have caused it as well. This may be a usps fault and it could be the shipping persons fault for not using a SFRB

I re read your OP and I see they shipped blanks. I would say the shipper is at fault not USPS. Maybe USPS should have put what was left in a plastic bag and sent a note as to the damage. I have had that happen too.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I would like to know what was shipped in it? A blank? something small or was it something that should have gone in a different priority package. I have had people send me stuff in those flat rate flat letter packages and had it ripped because what they shipped was wider than is supposed to be inside those envelopes. (over 1/2 an inch). If it had sharp edges it could have caused it as well. This may be a usps fault and it could be the shipping persons fault for not using a SFRB

I re read your OP and I see they shipped blanks. I would say the shipper is at fault not USPS. Maybe USPS should have put what was left in a plastic bag and sent a note as to the damage. I have had that happen too.
Don't jump to conclusions....That is a flat rate envelope and they have the same weight restriction as flat rate boxes and can be used to mail anything so long as the seal will close.

At times I put a box in one of the flat rate envelopes to ship so the goods are well protected.

I think the problems occur more with packages that are heavy and full. For instance the material a large flat rate box is made from is plenty strong enough to hold pen blanks - full of pen blanks it might weigh 30 pounds - less than half the limit. but the box has no room to give. Tape helps if the tape is strong enough and you are generous enough in it's use. Double boxing (common from some shippers) might also help.

nativewooder

From your pictures, I think your delivery person may be in the Pen Turning business. I have received a few boxes or other packages that have been damaged by USPS machinery but the packages/envelopes are repaired as much as possible at the site and a note attached explaining the damage.

Your package looks like it has been ripped open by a person, not a machine. I was told by our local postmaster that when a package gets jammed in one of their machines, it stops the line that is running, so they have to get it out before the machine can start running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom