Cheer Rick Herrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex D

Just wanted to give well deserved credit where it is due. I contacted Rick Herrell (an IAP vendor) about possibly making me a couple of custom mandrels for kitless pens.

The response I received was amazing. He knew I was new to kitless and instead of simply making my overly complicated mandrel design and then charging me accordingly, he worked with me to come up with a simpler design that had all the function, but without the unneccesary complications. In fact, his design is actually better as it leaves a bit of wiggle room to overcome small drilling errors. My original design would have required absolutely perfect step drilling every time.

However, that was not enough customer service for Rick. He asked if I had a blank drilled to fit the mandrels that he could use to make sure everything fit, but offered that he could do one himself if I didn't have one.

Not having a ton of confidence (yet) in my ability to drill per the deisgn, I asked if Rick would mind taking care of that part (I didn't want to provide him with an improperly drilled blank and end up with a mandrel that fit the poorly drilled blank).

Not only did he drill the blank, but he sent me the blank along with my order. And folks, he did not use a cheap piece of delrin, or anythying like that. It is a gorgeous blank that I cannot wait to turn and put into my personal collection.

That's alot of gushing, so let me just end by saying that Rick's attitude and customer serivce are simply exemplary as are his prices, his turnaround and the quality of the matierals he provides (I also have his sanding mill and a couple of tool rests).

Bottom line, if you need something made out of metal, contact Rick, you will not be disappointed!

Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Likewise -- Rick made one of my toolrests and a dial-gauge adapter, and I have an order with him right now for a couple of pin chucks and an offset sanding jig. He was very careful to make sure the pin chucks would be an exact fit for my application.

wyone

I need to figure out the right tool rest to order from him. I have two lathes, a Jet 1014 and a Grizzly 0462, which of course use different post dimensions. But I have been thinking, I mostly use the 1014 for pens, so I could get a short tool rest for that, but need to figure out how long to have him make it.

I have really dreamed of his tool rest and sanding jig and one day soon I will own a few of his products!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I need to figure out the right tool rest to order from him. I have two lathes, a Jet 1014 and a Grizzly 0462, which of course use different post dimensions. But I have been thinking, I mostly use the 1014 for pens, so I could get a short tool rest for that, but need to figure out how long to have him make it.

I have really dreamed of his tool rest and sanding jig and one day soon I will own a few of his products!

His tool rests are removable from the posts - I'm pretty sure that you could buy a post for each lathe & a single rest for starters and take care of both of your lathes, but you should check with him to be certain.

You'll want several lengths of rests & a post for each before long, but you can add parts as you can afford them. I highly recommend his collar stops for the posts too.

Larry Hansen

I second all of the above. Rick made custom parts for my Smithy Super Shop so I could turn pens with it. I also had a question on drilling bushings for between centers and he gave me a link and a code that saved shipping for my 60 degree center drills and Jacobs chuck for my Taig. He also connected me with a great machining resource on You Tube. His work is outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom