Jeer Reluctant Jeer for WoodTurningz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtgaryw

I hesitate to do this, because they've been my favorite vendor for several years now. Always helpful, quick and accommodating.

I had my biggest show I do, a three day show I do for my state's Hand Crafter's organization. I had placed an order for 20 gray felt boxes that I use for certain pens, mostly because they fit well and display these particular pens well. The Wednesday before the show (Friday start), I received the boxes along with some other items I had order. Instead of the gray felt boxes, I received 20 of the cheap plastic boxes with the clear lids. About 5 steps down in class and style, and nothing I ever use.

It was definitely their fault, the order was for the gray felt boxes. I called Wednesday afternoon. I explained to the rep (who will remain nameless) that I had a big three day show, I had enough boxes to last me through Friday, so if I could get them by Friday I'd be okay. He told me they'd take care of me.

Apparently "taking care of me" meant they shipped them THE NEXT DAY (not Wednesday) and via their normal three day service. I didn't receive them until Monday. I scrounged up every box I could find, substituted higher end boxes in some cased, but ended up having to use some of the chintzy plastic boxes.

When I complained about the three day shipping when I checked the tracking, their Sales Manager got back to me and said that "they never send out replacement product overnight" as the cost would exceed the cost of the product. Well, I never asked for overnight, but two day would have saved the day. So would having shipped them out the day I called and shipping them three days.

I expressed my disappointment, and asked that Ryan respond directly. Again, he apologized for the mistake, and reiterated the same policy. Again, I never asked for overnight, but two day would have made me happy. So would someone going the extra mile and shipping out the replacement the same day.

Ironically, when I received the return shipping label from them for the incorrect boxes, it was marked for two day shipping. So it was okay for them to get their cheap boxes back via two day shipping, but not to send the replacements to me via two day?

I responded again to Ryan (politely but firmly) but never got another answer back.

It's easy to cheer when everything goes right. My measure of how good a vendor is is how they react when something goes wrong.

I know it's been a month and a half, but this has been eating at me. I'm sure I'll use them again, but all of my remaining orders last year went somewhere else.

Gary

BJohn

Sorry that happened to you.

I have ordered several times from them without trouble's.

It just goes to show you that everyone makes mistakes. The key is OWN UP TO THEM AND MAKE THEM RIGHT.

I hope you learned not to wait till the week of the show to order your supplies.

Definition of LUCK, it is were opportunity meets preparation. You had 1 of the 2.

Hope the show went well for you.

vtgaryw

I'm usually pretty well prepared in advance. I don't build time into my ordering assuming a vendor is going to make a mistake.

I usually buy things like this in bulk at the beginning of the season, but I had a great fall selling pens (a good problem to have), so I needed to reorder. Which I did in plenty of time if there hadn't been a problem.

At my last position as an Operations Manager, satisfying the customer was built into our culture. If that required staying late to ship a replacement part or driving a shipment to the FedEx office, that's what we did. I expect some of that attitude from my suppliers as well.

Gary

Hawkdave

Hi Gary...

It is a bummer when something like this happens. I try to plan well ahead when there is a show coming up, but it doesn't always happen.

Just a point on your jeer though. You mention early in your writings that the person will remain nameless, then further into the jeer you mention a name twice.
Is this the nameless person or the owner of the company?

Cheers

Dave.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Gary...

It is a bummer when something like this happens. I try to plan well ahead when there is a show coming up, but it doesn't always happen.

Just a point on your jeer though. You mention early in your writings that the person will remain nameless, then further into the jeer you mention a name twice.
Is this the nameless person or the owner of the company?

Cheers

Dave.
Ryan is the President of the Company...Fritz is the Sales Manager.

vtgaryw

I didn't want to blame the poor guy who took my call and told me he would take care of. Fritz then told me after the fact that basically the guy isn't authorized to do that. Not good form. You need to empower your first line people who deal with customers directly.

I didn't feel bad mentioning Ryan, as the buck stops there. Anyone who deals with the company can figure out he's the President.

Gary

nativewooder

He who is without fault should cast the first stone!!! Your method of frantic ordering should have contained room for a mistake. Perhaps next season you will check your inventory and not blame everything on the supplier. You made a tough call!

beck3906

He who is without fault should cast the first stone!!! Your method of frantic ordering should have contained room for a mistake. Perhaps next season you will check your inventory and not blame everything on the supplier. You made a tough call!

Frantic ordering? I don't get it.

The original order was placed an received before the show. The OP asked to have the shipping error corrected before the show.

Boss302

If the return label was a USPS label that stated "Priority Mail 2-Day" that doesn't mean anything because it's just an estimate without any guarantee. If I hadn't done a little more forward planning to allow for possible delivery delays or errors, I wouldn't be complaining.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When the supplier is at fault the supplier should get the blame...

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
The supplier fixed the error, but not as fast as you wanted.

This was an issue for you because of your deadline - one day of shipping might have made the difference - but the order might also have been delayed by umpteen other reasons when in transit even had it been the 'upgraded shipping' option.

They made good on their mistake - but the shipping was too slow for your liking by one day. Businesses do have to make money, and asking them to pay and lose money for faster shipping than they ever use is not really one that I think is entirely fair.

The situation is unfortunate, but I don't think that it deserves a jeer.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

This was an issue for you because of your deadline - one day of shipping might have made the difference - but the order might also have been delayed by umpteen other reasons when in transit even had it been the 'upgraded shipping' option.

They made good on their mistake - but the shipping was too slow for your liking by one day. Businesses do have to make money, and asking them to pay and lose money for faster shipping than they ever use is not really one that I think is entirely fair.

To make a profit businesses do not have to make a profit on every sale. If it costs more than they like to fix their own mistake they should eat that cost Particularily if the customer has informed them of a pressing need caused by their mistake.

vtgaryw

I absolutely agree wth Smitty. If you think you have to make a profit on every order every day, it will start to show I your customer service.

I thank the poster who defended me against "frantic ordering." I had an unexpected reorder the week before frm a shop I had pens on consignment with. Sales were going well, so I used up a bunch of boxes to re-stock them, and reordered more in plenty of time.

I have great respect for all of our pen vendors. I think as a group they do a great job, and I attribute a lot of that to their sharing our passion for our craft. I'd say 99% of my orders have been perfect, and if not things have been taken care of right away.

Gary

H2O

This absolutely deserves a JEER.
He ordered in PLENTY of time to receive the correct order. Woodturningz messed up and to top it of, they refused to send the replacement at least as fast as they expect the return shipped back. Sent it three day, but paid for two day back. SMH. The least they could have done was, get it shipped the same day and sent it two day. Bad CS.

Why is it that every time someone posts a jeer in here, fellow members always find a way to blame the customer? They ordered too late. They probably messed up, and ordered the wrong thing. They were likely rude on the phone, or in emails. They should have called, instead of relying on the "contact us" email. They should have known better than to order from there anyway........ Why are so many so eager to blame the customer, no matter the situation?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Why is it that every time someone posts a jeer in here, fellow members always find a way to blame the customer? They ordered too late. They probably messed up, and ordered the wrong thing. They were likely rude on the phone, or in emails. They should have called, instead of relying on the "contact us" email. They should have known better than to order from there anyway........ Why are so many so eager to blame the customer, no matter the situation?
Human Nature Yussef. If you say something perceived to be bad about almost anyone in just about any situation, someone will step forward to defend them.

Lucky2

Well we're all entitled to our own opinions, I personally think that you are of the wrong opinion in this case. He ordered the cases in plenty of time, the shipper sent the wrong item. By doing so, they themselves are to blame. It was their screw-up, they should have done whatever they could to make things right. Yes they shipped them to him, but, he didn't get to use them when needed. And it was entirely the shippers fault, so, I believe the Jeer was well founded. Without getting to personnel or anything like that, I would like to know why you think the Jeer was unneeded? It's not as if the shipper had no way of making things right, there was a way, but, they were just afraid of losing a few dollars to shipping. Don't you think that if it was you and this happened, that you would be an unsatisfied customer? When I was in business, I did whatever I had to to keep my customers happy. No matter how much it cost me, and especially if it was mine or my employees mistake. That is the way I did business, and that is the way I expect to be treated. If someone else makes a mistake that costs me money or time, I don't care what it cost them to make things right. I just expect them to, and believe it or not, that is the way most reputable companies work. Most companies would rather make things right nowadays, rather than find themselves pasted all over the net on forums like this one. One final item I would like to mention, if a person feels like they've been mistreated and they want to post a Jeer. Why is it, that there are so many people who want to blame the OP? Especially in this case, the OP did nothing wrong. He can't help it if he's having lots of sales, plus the original order got to him in time. So, how's he to blame???
Len

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member

Well we're all entitled to our own opinions, I personally think that you are of the wrong opinion in this case. He ordered the cases in plenty of time, the shipper sent the wrong item. By doing so, they themselves are to blame. It was their screw-up, they should have done whatever they could to make things right. Yes they shipped them to him, but, he didn't get to use them when needed. And it was entirely the shippers fault, so, I believe the Jeer was well founded. Without getting to personnel or anything like that, I would like to know why you think the Jeer was unneeded? It's not as if the shipper had no way of making things right, there was a way, but, they were just afraid of losing a few dollars to shipping. Don't you think that if it was you and this happened, that you would be an unsatisfied customer? When I was in business, I did whatever I had to to keep my customers happy. No matter how much it cost me, and especially if it was mine or my employees mistake. That is the way I did business, and that is the way I expect to be treated. If someone else makes a mistake that costs me money or time, I don't care what it cost them to make things right. I just expect them to, and believe it or not, that is the way most reputable companies work. Most companies would rather make things right nowadays, rather than find themselves pasted all over the net on forums like this one. One final item I would like to mention, if a person feels like they've been mistreated and they want to post a Jeer. Why is it, that there are so many people who want to blame the OP? Especially in this case, the OP did nothing wrong. He can't help it if he's having lots of sales, plus the original order got to him in time. So, how's he to blame???
Len

Well, as you said, we all have our own opinions. In my mind, a Jeer is meant for when the company will not help, or you're warning others about a scam.

A shipping error that they offered to fix, but with shipping that was a bit too slow was definitely a mistake on their part - but a Jeer? Public shaming of a company that made a mistake and tried to fix it? Seems overly harsh, in my mind.

Again, that's just my opinion - as you have yours.

We've become entirely too expectant of perfect, instantaneous service, - in the real world, honest mistakes happen. We hold our vendors to higher standards than we likely have to face in our own jobs...but again, just my opinion.

H2O

Well, as you said, we all have our own opinions. In my mind, a Jeer is meant for when the company will not help, or you're warning others about a scam.

A shipping error that they offered to fix, but with shipping that was a bit too slow was definitely a mistake on their part - but a Jeer? Public shaming of a company that made a mistake and tried to fix it? Seems overly harsh, in my mind.

We've become entirely too expectant of perfect, instantaneous service, - in the real world, honest mistakes happen. We hold our vendors to higher standards than we likely have to face in our own jobs...but again, just my opinion.

The issue isn't about the mistake, it's about how it was handled.
Everyone makes mistakes, but it's how it's handled.

When a company makes the mistake, I "expect" them to resolve it in a timely manner. A company that spends the couple of extra dollars to expedite the resolution now, will likely get return business and cover the pocket change that it cost to retain a customer and potentially acquire new customers by word of mouth from a good experience.
With what Woodturningz has done, the exact opposite is a more likely scenario. All to save a buck.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Len

It was not a shipping error Andrew it was an error in the order.
1. The first person the customer talked to promised to fix the error and expedite the shipping of replacements.

2. He was then overruled by the Sales Manager. That should never have happened. They should have made good on the commitment to the customer.

3. The Sales Manager gave the customer the weak excuse that the person he spoke to did not have the authority to commit the company. That should never have happened. Doing this compounded the company error in (2) above.

4. Then the Sales Manager refused to expidite the shipping even though he was specifically informed of a pressing need caused by the company shipping the wrong product

I seriously doubt you would think it was OK if this happened to you.

I have to say that having dealt with Ryan and Fritz in the past I am truly amazed that they allowed such a thing to happen but they did and the jeer is justified.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I guess we'll have to disagree...

I'm rather tolerant, I suppose. If an error is made, and the business fixes the error in a way that doesn't cost me money, then I'd be happy. We're not used to the lightning fast shipping you all have down in the US, so perhaps that tempers my opinions.

That being said, everyone's welcome to their own opinion. Having discussed mine ad nauseum, I'll chime out! :)

dexter0606

Why is it that people here seem to find great joy on this site posting jeers for the lamest of reasons? I find it pitiful.

Lucky2

Jeff, personally, I like the Cheer/Jeer forum. If I didn't, I wouldn't read them. What I don't understand, is the people who complain about them. There is no one forcing anyone to read this section of the forums, If it's not your cup of tea you could always ignore them. I like to read about companies or people who I might do business with, I then know what to expect for service from said company. Cheers and Jeers help keep people informed, I'd rather know about negative service before I do business with someone, not after.
Len

H2O

I find it pitiful when someone posts that a jeer about a companies customer service, is lame.
As stated, I want to know what to expect before placing an order with a company, and not find out after ordering, that I should have avoided the company to begin with.

There is a vendor that advertises sales, but is always out of stock on most items before the sale starts. They are quick with the excuses, but it's much easier to avoid that vendor.

dexter0606

The OP already stated that this is one of his favorite vendors. Apparently never having an issue with them before.
Then apparently without enough foresight by the OP to order well in advance, there is a mistake in the order, admitted to by the vendor. Ooops! Guess I should have checked my stock earlier in case something went wrong!
Now, just because this vendor didn't overnight replacements they get dragged into this open forum as a villain. And again this is the first time they've apparently done this to the OP.
All I'm saying is that this forum is used time and time again to dis vendors for
any and every reason while the person posting accepts no share of the blame.
This forum is only good for its entertainment value

Drewboy22

The OP already stated that this is one of his favorite vendors. Apparently never having an issue with them before.
Then apparently without enough foresight by the OP to order well in advance, there is a mistake in the order, admitted to by the vendor. Ooops! Guess I should have checked my stock earlier in case something went wrong!
Now, just because this vendor didn't overnight replacements they get dragged into this open forum as a villain. And again this is the first time they've apparently done this to the OP.
All I'm saying is that this forum is used time and time again to dis vendors for
any and every reason while the person posting accepts no share of the blame.
This forum is only good for its entertainment value ��

In my eyes, this jeer is completely founded. The OP made is order in enough time to have his stuff for the show. When they showed up "wrong" he let them know and they said they would take care of it, and they didn't. Smitty said it better than I can so I will just quote him.

1. The first person the customer talked to promised to fix the error and expedite the shipping of replacements.

2. He was then overruled by the Sales Manager. That should never have happened. They should have made good on the commitment to the customer.

3. The Sales Manager gave the customer the weak excuse that the person he spoke to did not have the authority to commit the company. That should never have happened. Doing this compounded the company error in (2) above.

4. Then the Sales Manager refused to expidite the shipping even though he was specifically informed of a pressing need caused by the company shipping the wrong product

I seriously doubt you would think it was OK if this happened to you.

I have to say that having dealt with Ryan and Fritz in the past I am truly amazed that they allowed such a thing to happen but they did and the jeer is justified.

dexter0606

The OP said it all in the title of his post, Reluctant Jeer.
To me that reads "Trivial Complaint"
And apparently he didn't order on time. Mistakes happen. Plan ahead.
This posted jeer is just trivial, as are most of the jeers posted. Why even bother airing it. Does anyone actually think that this is valuable information to have?
All it does is make the poster feel better after he rallies the troops behind him

Last edited:

H2O

The OP said it all in the title of his post, Reluctant Jeer.
To me that reads "Trivial Complaint"
And apparently he didn't order on time. Mistakes happen. Plan ahead.
This posted jeer is just trivial, as are most of the jeers posted. Why even bother airing it. Does anyone actually think that this is valuable information to have?
All it does is make the poster feel better after he rallies the troops behind him

By your logic, a person should order 6 months in advance, so "mistakes" can be accounted for and continue to be accepted. I don't expect "mistakes" and when they do happen...they need to be resolved immediately.
If no person ever posted a "trivial complaint", companies would continue to take advantage and never change. Getting the word out about the little things, prevents another person from dealing with a bigger issue because nothing was said, and the company feels it's fine to continue with the terrible service.
So YES, it's "valuable information".

dexter0606

What I'm saying is the OP stated that it's his biggest show. Yet he's still waiting on supplies three days before this big event starts. Doesn't sound like good planning to me. A small hiccup and........
I'm not saying the vendor doesn't deserve some of the blame but it certainly doesn't mean they need to take full responsibility for the product being there in time for the show. As I said before its a trivial issue that didn't even deserve the effort of posting it.
BTW do you know of any pizza forums? I had a pizza delivered the other day that had green olives instead of black. I've been dying to post a "jeer" to warn other people but just don't know where to do it

vtgaryw

Lame? Seriously? I'm very forgiving and tolerant when companies make mistakes. It's human nature. But to me, it was important that it be fixed. I like to present my product in a certain way, and this error prevented that from happening.

I have developed a loyal and growing customer base in my area. I will do anything to make a customer happy. I expect the same attitude from my suppliers. Most of the pen supplies we buy are commodity items. Customer service is the most important factor by far.

Gary

Why is it that people here seem to find great joy on this site posting jeers for the lamest of reasons? I find it pitiful.

H2O

Having pizza delivered...

it's not the olives I would be concerned about.:eek:

dexter0606

As I said, if the show is, or was, as important to you as you say then how did you let your lack of inventory slip by unnoticed until it was almost too late. Surely you would have known what you needed for the show well in advance, especially something as simple as boxes. Not saying the vendor is without blame for shipping the wrong item. What I am saying is suck it up and accept the responsibility that you forgot to order your boxes till the last minute. And what was the purpose of the post?? You yourself said you were reluctant. After I don't know how many "happy" orders you transacted you turn on your supplier for this?
And yes, I said lame

vtgaryw

Maybe you should actually read the posts I wrote. I explained why I had to reorder. And I wasn't the one who made the mistake. I'm not sure why you feel better trying to blame the victim. You've never had an unsatisfactory experience with someone that everyone else thought was great?

This was posted as my opinion of an experience I had. If you don't agree, just ignore it!

As I said, if the show is, or was, as important to you as you say then how did you let your lack of inventory slip by unnoticed until it was almost too late. Surely you would have known what you needed for the show well in advance, especially something as simple as boxes. Not saying the vendor is without blame for shipping the wrong item. What I am saying is suck it up and accept the responsibility that you forgot to order your boxes till the last minute. And what was the purpose of the post?? You yourself said you were reluctant. After I don't know how many "happy" orders you transacted you turn on your supplier for this?
And yes, I said lame

vtgaryw

Dear Moderator, could you please close this topic? Apparently there are a few people who delight in crucifying others for posting their opinion.

Thank you,

Gary

dexter0606

Have read them. Ordered felt, got plastic. Reordered to get correct ones. Yada yada yada.
Didn't say you made the mistake. I did say the vendor made a mistake.
My suggestion is that you waited too long to restock on supplies for a show that meant so much to you and when a hiccup occurred you put complete blame on the vendor. I understand the vendor supplied the wrong component but they were in the process of correcting the mistake. Your problem is that they didn't jump fast enough in your eyes.
What I am saying is that even though, according to your thread title, you were reluctant to post this you chose to drag them into this by posting something this trivial.
Had you checked your inventory and restocked earlier, this vendor error would have been resolved in time for your big show and this trivial event would have never been posted.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Have read them. Ordered felt, got plastic. Reordered to get correct ones. Yada yada yada.
Didn't say you made the mistake. I did say the vendor made a mistake.
My suggestion is that you waited too long to restock on supplies for a show that meant so much to you and when a hiccup occurred you put complete blame on the vendor. I understand the vendor supplied the wrong component but they were in the process of correcting the mistake. Your problem is that they didn't jump fast enough in your eyes.
What I am saying is that even though, according to your thread title, you were reluctant to post this you chose to drag them into this by posting something this trivial.
Had you checked your inventory and restocked earlier, this vendor error would have been resolved in time for your big show and this trivial event would have never been posted.
When a vendor makes a mistake it is NEVER the customer's fault. The customer should NEVER be expected to plan for mistakes by the vendor, particularly a mistake that sends the wrong product altogether. Sending the wrong product in an order is NEVER a trivial mistake.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
As this has become a philosophical discussion with no end in sight, I think it's gone beyond the parameters of the Cheers and Jeers forum. Please feel free to open a discussion in Casual conversation if you wish to keep talking about it, but it's no longer relevant for this section of the forum.

Andrew
assistant moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom