Jeer PSI Lower end kits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe S.

PSI has some nice kits, even on the lower end. I recently made some stratus kits, classic fountain pens, everyone's favorite bolt actions, and a lot of others as well. My problem isn't so much with the kit design and components, but the quality control. Almost %20 of lower end kits (I have only good experience with their better stuff) has had problems like scratches, dents, and chips in the plating, over sized parts that rub when taking the cap on and off, and faulty mechanisms. It's frustrating because the kits are great when it's a good one. Thank you for listening to me rant a little.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Thanks for sharing this. I am having a similar experience with Woodcraft's trim line kits (lower end:

- The ID of the center band is too small for the twist mechanism.
- The twist mechanism succumbs (widens) to the pressure of the "vice" when inserting into the lower barrel
- All (4 so far) of the ball point ink refills leak when writing (the refills are made in Germany. I would have expected better). I replace all with after mark medium refills which write well.

I didn't have this experience with the cigar or slim line.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Cmiles1985

I have had some issues with the PSI slimline pencils (ordered through Woodturningz). I thought I messed up, but the cap was too large and actually shaved part of the brass tube on the way in. Then the pencil mechanism would not work since the eraser cap would catch on the piece of brass tube. I made a design change, and it seems to be working now, but it isn't the first pencil I've had problems with. Had I A) spent more on the kits or, B) not been such a pen turning novice, I would have sent Ryan at WT a note about this. I just chocked it up to my lack of experience though.

TonyL

I wonder if we can expect better quality in these areas, with the higher end kits?

TonyL

I know the materials would be better, but I wonder if the twist mechanisms would be better. One local store told me no.

making some freedom pens using the lower end kits, has presented one issue where the nib is deformed by the pen press. I figure they are not thick enough to press.

TonyL

Yep! Have the same issue with the WC kits: weak nib and weak upper end of twist mech.

Cmiles1985

I wonder if we can expect better quality in these areas, with the higher end kits?

You get what you pay for.

Dittos on that. I also think it is false economy to use cheap kits for practice. "Was it me that screwed up, or was I doomed from the start with this cheap kit?"

I'll agree on the kit thinking. Knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd have started off with something like the Mesa/Sierra for a couple of dollars more per pen and had a much better pen as well as a better feeling about turning.
That being said though, how often do you start a hobby by not buying in the convenience of a starter kit? Almost every woodworking store offers "beginner packs" that include 7mm kits.

Merchandising suggestion: offer a "starter set" with a Mesa or Cigar set of kits or classic RB/FP. These are all relatively simple kits that produce a decent quality pen that is much easier to be proud of. I'm not downplaying the 7mm pens, but you are left with very little wiggle room at the end of turning, and it seems the transmissions are just awful.

TonyL

I have been turning the heavier trim line - still 7mm, but more room. I use my pens and give them as gifts - no one wants a cigar. I made one for myself from acrylic; pretty, but something I would probably keep under my car seat while driving through The Bronx :)

Last edited:

Joe S.

I know the materials would be better, but I wonder if the twist mechanisms would be better. One local store told me no.
Woodturninz is the only place I've had trouble with the parker mechanisms, and they replaced it quickly. I have mostly made non-twist pens from PSI, but the 2 squires I did worked great! You get what you pay for I guess.

pensbydesign

Thanks for sharing this. I am having a similar experience with Woodcraft's trim line kits (lower end:

- The ID of the center band is too small for the twist mechanism.
- The twist mechanism succumbs (widens) to the pressure of the "vice" when inserting into the lower barrel
- All (4 so far) of the ball point ink refills leak when writing (the refills are made in Germany. I would have expected better). I replace all with after mark medium refills which write well.

I didn't have this experience with the cigar or slim line.

Thanks for the heads-up!

trim line is not a wc product its a pen state product that the local franchise resells for them
trim line is a cheap kit and you get what u pay for.

TonyL

Thank you. I am very new to this. I didn't know that about trim line. That's too bad; I like the shape and size of a trim line. I am going to stop buying them. What's is a better quality/style that approximates the trim line's dimensions?

Thank you!

Dan Masshardt

I have had some issues with the PSI slimline pencils (ordered through Woodturningz). I thought I messed up, but the cap was too large and actually shaved part of the brass tube on the way in. Then the pencil mechanism would not work since the eraser cap would catch on the piece of brass tube. I made a design change, and it seems to be working now, but it isn't the first pencil I've had problems with. Had I A) spent more on the kits or, B) not been such a pen turning novice, I would have sent Ryan at WT a note about this. I just chocked it up to my lack of experience though.

Pencils often have an added layer of probs over their equivalent pens. I've not had any problem with trim line pens i don't make them often anymore but for a 7mm kit I like them and would not hesitate to buy more if I wanted that style

My woodcraft sells no psi products but I don't know if it varies store to store or not

The Toni twist that they sell is fairly similar looking but with a different centerband I've not made any of them

ossaguy

Thank you. I am very new to this. I didn't know that about trim line. That's too bad; I like the shape and size of a trim line. I am going to stop buying them. What's is a better quality/style that approximates the trim line's dimensions?

Thank you!

Just a thought,

In case you didn't know,I thought I'd mention that you can buy the Artisan grade 7mm twist mechanism from CSUSA for only $6.95/bag of 10. ( that was the price the last time I ordered...)

I like how these feel when twisted.Nice hydralic feel with no junky action.I do add 1 drop only of gun oil if they are a little stiff.

So when I buy a PSI Duchess kit,I use one of the nice CSUSA trannies,and end up with a nice quality pen.

The part number is not in the catalog,but if you call they can get it for you.

Steve

Last edited:

Joe S.

In case you didn't know,I thought I'd mention that you can buy the Artisan grade 7mm twist mechanism from CSUSA for only $6.95/bag of 10. ( that was the price the last time I ordered...)

I like how these feel when twisted.Nice hydralic feel with no junky action.I do add 1 drop only of gun oil if they are a little stiff.

So when I buy a PSI Duchess kit,I use one of the nice CSUSA trannies,and end up with a nice quality pen.

I like that idea!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Quality is not a function of price. It costs no more to build parts that fit than parts that don't. And it costs no more to plate properly than not. What is missing on the items listed is Quality Control which doesn't cost a whole lot either.

pensbydesign

Quality is not a function of price. It costs no more to build parts that fit than parts that don't. And it costs no more to plate properly than not. What is missing on the items listed is Quality Control which doesn't cost a whole lot either.

price and quality go hand and hand. the biggest problem is what they consider "good enough tolerance " to get better fit you need better tolerance better tooling and materials which cost more. when talking about Slim style pen part price per piece may be small but to a factory or importer this is about profit and what they can get away with.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

price and quality go hand and hand. the biggest problem is what they consider "good enough tolerance " to get better fit you need better tolerance better tooling and materials which cost more. when talking about Slim style pen part price per piece may be small but to a factory or importer this is about profit and what they can get away with.
A popular misconception fostered by sellers of high price items. - The most effect on price is quantity. Tooling generally is used across multiple parts and material costs are generall small and I have even seen instances where a high price base material was used to lower production costs....less scrap and rework offset the initial higher price.

Profit stems largely from repeat customers, selling them junk does not foster repeated buying. As an importer I can tell you it is very unprofitable to have a customer send an email to say that something is wrong with one of the kits I sold him. And when he gets unhappy, he's likely to go elsewhere next time and that makes me unhappy and the manufacturer gets word from me that I am not a happy camper with his product. It's expensive for him too. Most of the problems I have are parts missing from the package, not bad parts in the package.

eranox

I've actually had pretty good luck with PSI's low-end stuff. I stick mostly to the Funline series slimlines and Euros, and so far, so good. My one complaint about the slimlines is that the design of the clips can snag a shirt pocket if you're not careful. Not so with the regular series of slimlines. The Euros are great, and surpass my expectations, especially for the price. I don't mind the tenon a bit, and I feel that it gives a stronger bond with the center band. If I could make one change to them, it would be to taper the circumference of the ring part of the clip to match the taper on the finial. As it is now, it's cylindrical, which interrupts the shape of the upper barrel for that 1/16th of an inch or so. I'm still impressed with the result, although the lower end stuff is strictly gifted, and not sold.

I've had good luck with the transmissions, although they need a drop of oil to work smoothly. Higher end transmissions are better, but I don't think I would know the difference if I wasn't looking for it. As it stands, most people are used to junky clickers and throw-away Bics, so even the basic twist mechanisms seem like Cadillacs by comparison. A touch up on the ends of the barrels with Rick Herrel's sanding mill makes a big difference, too. Speaking strictly of the transmission, I'd put my Funlines up against a store bought Cross pen any day.

Tom T

Hi Guys,
I have turned lots of euros from WC and they have been great. I even like turning the tenon. I have turned their slim lines and the plating does not last to long.
I have turned some craft supply euros and they have been good also.
The supply guys and Gal's on this sight have never disappointed me with their stuff.
Generally speaking the higher end stuff is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom