penn state ind

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff3285

I honestly wasn't going to say anything,,,but I just got off the phone to penn state and not only are they rude,,but I have been waiting for 2 weeks and have not got replacement parts that they quote"there in the mail" that was 2 weeks ago,,I can't speak for anyone else,,but if I ever get them parts,,I have learned a valuable lesson, ,I will never ever under any circumstances buy anything from penn state,,,even if everthing in the catalog went on sale at half price,,,most dis organised place I have ever done business with on the web,,,in a previous thread on here on man said he would not buy a life jacket from them if his boat was sinking,,,,AND I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!!

stuckinohio

I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

However, I will say this. I have had replacement parts sent to me on two occasions. It did take a long time (up to 2 weeks for one of them) to get them. I think they wait for a while to send stuff, and it doesn't go priority unfortunately.

But, unlike your experience, both times they were very professional. The second time I ended up talking to the guy for about 20 minutes about pens in general and new kits coming out. I had to end the conversation because I had stuff to do!

I guess it's hit or miss with them.

MattTheHat

Interesting. I got some replacement parts from them last week, and they *did* come Priority Mail. Good thing too, because it took 2 weeks worth of chasing emails to get them to send them out. I'd send the email and then have to follow up with a "did you get my email response?" email 3-4 days later.

The rep who handled my parts request (ganged up from my last 3-4 orders) seemed a bit overwhelmed, to be honest. Friendly enough, but overwhelmed. For example, after the first 2-3 back and forth emails (starting with their online request form), he told me he couldn't find an order for me. I looked up my account online and found about 8, so I emailed back with a screen shot of that for him.

I had called several weeks before with a problem I *thought* I had with a tracking number email confirmation which turned out was a misunderstanding on my part. The young lady who helped me was not very friendly at all. In fact, I'd say down right discourteous.

I was thinking of buying their 12x18VS lathe, but after reading reviews from at least two people who had to have the lathes replaced twice, I decided to find something else. I don't mind so much having to have a machine replaced (hey, it happens), but my experience with the rude rep and the overwhelmed email rep made me realize I didn't want to have to go through that frustration. It's a shame too, I like the features of the lathe and the price is right.

And after saying all this I will admit I really enjoy buying from them. I just hope that I don't need assistance, I guess.

-Matt

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Did you pay for the cheapest shipping option? To save costs, their shipping for the cheapest option is very slow...

Many people who are posting Jeers for PSI are doing so because of the cheapest shipping being very slow - so perhaps try paying more for a faster method, perhaps...

SteveG

There are always people on both side of the discussion when PSI customer service is the topic. I am a long time customer of PSI, and have had good service every time. This includes regular orders, and those times when a replacement part is needed, be it a defective part or something that I caused. I will say this, which may be a factor in my good experience: all of my requests for replacement parts were initiated by me using the phone by voice, not email. I hope this track record continues. :wink::)

nativewooder

Not meaning to be critical of you, but this is not your first time. I used to have problems with PSI but that was before the owner cleaned house and set up operating policies. Since then, no problems, as I changed MY ATTITUDE!:biggrin:

jeff3285

Talking about shipping, you pay 9.00 for shipping and maybe get it in 2 weeks if your lucky,,,I pay 5.25 at woodturninz and get in 4 days,,,you make the choice!!!!

BJohn

Totally agree with you Jeff, I will not purchase from them.

Now my wife did for some Christmas gifts she was making. I guess either no one else had or their price was right for her.

Fortunately all went well.

I just posted a cheer for WoodTurningz !

stuckinohio

My shipping is quick from there, as long as it is an order. It goes priority mail, usually the next day and it takes two days from then. But I'm in Ohio, so not as far.

I much prefer dealing with smaller businesses, but there are some kits that only PSI sells, so I order from there often. Plus they have sales which I like.

I order from Exoticblanks as often as possible, they just dont carry everything I like. Unfortunately...

CREID

I do most of my purchasing from PSI and have never had a problem, as far as shipping, I just let it be at what ever the default is when I order online, and I always get in in 3 days and I live on the west coast. When I have had occasion to talk to them on the phone, they have always been courteous and helpful. I needed a replacement part once a couple months ago and no questions asked, they sent it right out and for free none the less. I think some people just want to have problems when everything doesn't go perfect.

Curt

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have never been mistreated when I have called PSI for any reason and I have called about items missing from an order and they had them in the mail the same day I called. I think the secret is as follows.

1. I am always polite pleasant and positive - the person I'm talking to is never the same person who made the mistake. I think this is the key to getting the person you are talking to on your side, wanting to help you.

2. I do my homework, I always know exactly what was wrong, if a kit is missing a part I know which part was missing, if I didn't get what I expected, I know if the mistake is mine or theirs. I always have the packing list that comes with the order in front of me when I call. I never ask them to fix my mistakes at no charge or to figure out if it was my mistake or theirs.

3. If the person I am talking to can't take care of the problem, I ask them pleasantly and politely to connect me to the person who can.

4. When I am finished talking to them, I always thank them for their time and effort even if they were unable to solve the problem.

Based on personal experience, I know that it is easier for me to help someone with an issue with an order from me if they are pleasant and polite and know exactly what their problem is when they call.

No company relying on repeat business can afford rude or uncaring customer service and I doubt that any company is intentionally mistreating customers who call with legitimate complaints.

Last edited:

showcaser

I'll repost what I've said earlier.
I've never had a problem with PSI. The one time an item was missing from an order they sent out immediately. The codes I've always gotten have worked fine. Pay attention to the dates for the code they work fine. Pay attention to the rules they set forth in the code,and they work fine. Don't wait till the last minute to order then pick the cheapest shipping option. Don't place an incomplete order and expect PSI to cover your mistake.

Hawkdave

Having checked out suppliers for pen kits etc, in America, I am jealous of you guys over there. You have quite a choice of suppliers to go too.
Here in Australia, we have only a few. The one I choose to do business with is 'Timberbits'. They are 1400 kilometres away from where I live and they have a great track record for delivering orders very quickly. I ordered before 2.00pm on a Thursday and I was pleasantly surprised when the parcel arrived on my doorstep the very next day.
Of all my orders I have placed with them, only once did it take longer and that was because they could not find one item to fulfill my order. This was because they had moved to a larger premises and hadn't quite unpacked all of their stock.

Incidentally, when I place an order that is over $200, we get free postage.

Now that is what I call excellent service and I have phoned them to give them my congratulations.

Dave.

csr67

Maybe I'm just lucky... I've ordered several times from them, mainly carbon fiber tubed blanks. I pay the basic shipping and then add "please use USPS priority mail if possible". Each time it comes in a small flat rate box quickly to CA.

Bubba57

My problem with PSI is that there's ALWAYS a problem. Ordered quite a bit in the past but seemed to have a problem with each and every order...so much so that if I ordered 12 of one kind of pen kit, I'd figure on only getting 10, maybe 11, usable kits. The times I've called about a problem the customer service has been either lackadaisical, or downright rude. And the econo shipping....forget it...they send it via three-legged burro. My vote's on Woodturningz or Exotic Blanks...both are superb.

jaywood1207

Why oh why do those of you that continually jeer PSI continue to buy from them. Quit buying from them rather than buy over and over again and complain about it every single time. All you are doing is proving you aren't capable of learning from mistakes. Whose mistake that is is questionable.

Last edited:

magpens

Why oh why do those of you that continually jeer PSI continue to buy from them. ....

The reason is that penturners are nice people, like to think highly of other people in spite of having bad experiences with them, and so keep giving them chance after futile chance to improve. :biggrin:

Nick Rocco

I just placed a $263 order with PSI yesterday just about the time that they announced a 15% discount on many of the kits that I purchased. Evidentially, I entered my order about an hour to early so I did not get the discount. I tried calling them today to discuss the situation and was very disappointed in the response. Basically I was told that they would not offer any kind of adjustment to my pricing and they were very rude about the whole thing.
I like some of the unique kits that PSI sells but I have found that they never, and I mean never return my e-mails and their phone customer service is as rude as they come. I will need to start exploring some of the other great suppliers out there.

jttheclockman

Nick did you mention you were an IAP member??? Who exactly did you talk to??? Do you have a name??? Did you ask to speak to anyone with higher authority??? Many questions.

H2O

What difference does it make if someone is an IAP member? Do they get better service? Shouldn't everyone receive the same service?
What makes an IAP member elite?

CREID

I just placed a $263 order with PSI yesterday just about the time that they announced a 15% discount on many of the kits that I purchased. Evidentially, I entered my order about an hour to early so I did not get the discount. I tried calling them today to discuss the situation and was very disappointed in the response. Basically I was told that they would not offer any kind of adjustment to my pricing and they were very rude about the whole thing.
I like some of the unique kits that PSI sells but I have found that they never, and I mean never return my e-mails and their phone customer service is as rude as they come. I will need to start exploring some of the other great suppliers out there.

Thanx for the heads up on the 15 % off, I just went and placed an order, saved me a bunch.

jttheclockman

What difference does it make if someone is an IAP member? Do they get better service? Shouldn't everyone receive the same service?
What makes an IAP member elite?

Take a good look at the sponsor list here.:) I am sure we are not hearing the whole story.

Last edited:

Nick Rocco

Since my original post, I sent an e-mail to customer service. I received a response from Kathy, the customer service manager that informed me thatbthe sale started at 2:30 and that my order was placed before noon. She said that there was nothing that she cound do to extend the sale to me. I aksed if I can return the pen kits and repurchase them and she said that yes I could do that. That is the whole up to date story.

It seems a little stupid for everyone to go through the return process. At this point I feel that it is more the principle of the situation. I was treated rudly on the phone and while Kathy was not rude, she sure didn't seem interested in a happy customer either. I could have saved about $47 with the sale which I would have just put into more pen kits. Now instead, I will patronize another vendor.

JimB

PSI has always followed their dates and times for their sales. They do not make exceptions. There isn't any need for them to make you happy by making an exception. You need to place your orders during their sale not at a different time and then expect them to make an exception for you.

H2O

PSI has always followed their dates and times for their sales. They do not make exceptions. There isn't any need for them to make you happy by making an exception. You need to place your orders during their sale not at a different time and then expect them to make an exception for you.

You say that until... you place an order two hours before an unannounced sale.
I would have canceled my order, and if I decided I still wanted the products, I would have reordered during the sale. It seems like more work for them but, if that's the method they prefer...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I would have canceled my order, and if I decided I still wanted the products, I would have reordered during the sale. It seems like more work for them but, if that's the method they prefer...
Hmmm . what if you ordered 2 days before the sale, or 2 weeks before the sale?

jttheclockman

The difference there Smitty is they did not process that order in an hour as opposed to 2 days or 2 weeks. That is not the same comparison. The OP said it was an hour before they started the sale.

My point was to talk to a supervisor and not settle for the word of the girl taking the orders. She maybe a sales manager but she does not have the control of such things. If they were willing to cancel the order and redo it just does not make sense. There is a person here that has said before they would look into problems for us. I do not have that thread any more. This site is monitored by them all the time.

If anything I would have cancelled the order and if you still wanted the items then reorder.

There was a conscious effort to retrain the employees and become more customer friendly. I remember that thread and some people actually were fired ( at least that was what was said) because of poor customer relations. I believe that was in 2014.

Maybe there is some clerical reason they can not do it. I do not know how their order taking is effected or run. Maybe it is time sensative. But to just take is as an answer and to have to deal with an attitude is not something I would be willing to accept.

Good luck to all parties. I am sure we have not seen the last of these type posts. :)

JimB

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I would say the same thing even if it was me who placed the order. I would not expect them to refund 15%. I worked in retail for 35 years. For 30+ years I was in a position where I could make any exception I wanted for customers without having to explain to my boss. Making an exception in a situation like this is a bad decision. It results in customers expecting future exceptions for the same reason. I missed it by 2 hours, 6 hours, only 1 day! To make it worse, other customers will find out and also start to expect the exceptions. Where does the business draw the line? It becomes nearly impossible so they stick to the dates and times of the sales or coupons. No exceptions.

Nick Rocco

I am happy to report that PSI and I were able to work out our differences.

Since my order had shipped by the time I found out that I did not get the sale pricing I could not cancel my order. PSI was willing to let me return the kits and reorder them at the sale price. I would have had to kick in the shipping back and forth. This really did not make sense for either party.

I deal with customers every day and I am the one that some times needs to make a concession to a customer. I can see both sides of this situation. Sometimes you just need to do what makes sense regardless of the standard policy. One thing I do not like is being treated rudely on the phone.

As I mentioned above, I did have the option to return the pen kits within the normal return policy and then reorder them. When you consider this option, the question is why do it this way. I, as a customer, would have to go through the trouble of returning the kits and PSI would have to go through the trouble of restocking the kits and issuing a refund. This just does not make sense for anyone involved.

We, as customers, all want to feel that our business is important to our suppliers. Sometimes all that takes is some common sense on both sides.

Nick Rocco

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I would say the same thing even if it was me who placed the order. I would not expect them to refund 15%. I worked in retail for 35 years. For 30+ years I was in a position where I could make any exception I wanted for customers without having to explain to my boss. Making an exception in a situation like this is a bad decision. It results in customers expecting future exceptions for the same reason. I missed it by 2 hours, 6 hours, only 1 day! To make it worse, other customers will find out and also start to expect the exceptions. Where does the business draw the line? It becomes nearly impossible so they stick to the dates and times of the sales or coupons. No exceptions.

Jim,
I do understand your point. I have in the past missed plenty of sales and deals without issue. Had I ordered a day earlier, I would be disappointed but would not have given it a second thought. In this case I was on and off the site building an order throughout the morning. I placed my order and then went back to check to see if I had included an item and saw the sale information. I just assumed that I had received the sale pricing since I had just placed my order. It wasn't until later in the evening that I realized I didn't receive the sale pricing. When I called the next morning, I did not appreciate how I was treated and that is what was the icing on the cake.

There are plenty of ways that this whole transaction could have gone smoother and I feel that both parties bear some of the responsibility. I do not know if there was something published about the coming sale that I missed on the web site. That would be my fault. As a regular customer, it would have been nice to receive an e-mail about the coming sale.

jttheclockman

Since my order had shipped by the time I found out that I did not get the sale pricing I could not cancel my order. PSI was willing to let me return the kits and reorder them at the sale price. I would have had to kick in the shipping back and forth. This really did not make sense for either party.

I deal with customers every day and I am the one that some times needs to make a concession to a customer. I can see both sides of this situation. Sometimes you just need to do what makes sense regardless of the standard policy. One thing I do not like is being treated rudely on the phone.

As I mentioned above, I did have the option to return the pen kits within the normal return policy and then reorder them. When you consider this option, the question is why do it this way. I, as a customer, would have to go through the trouble of returning the kits and PSI would have to go through the trouble of restocking the kits and issuing a refund. This just does not make sense for anyone involved.

We, as customers, all want to feel that our business is important to our suppliers. Sometimes all that takes is some common sense on both sides.

Amazing how that part of the story was left out. Always more to a story than what was written. :) For those that say PSI doesn't ship fast:biggrin::biggrin:

Glad things were worked out and both parties probably benefited.

JimB

Glad it worked out.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

The difference there Smitty is they did not process that order in an hour as opposed to 2 days or 2 weeks. That is not the same comparison. The OP said it was an hour before they started the sale.

My point was to talk to a supervisor and not settle for the word of the girl taking the orders. She maybe a sales manager but she does not have the control of such things. If they were willing to cancel the order and redo it just does not make sense. There is a person here that has said before they would look into problems for us. I do not have that thread any more. This site is monitored by them all the time.

If anything I would have cancelled the order and if you still wanted the items then reorder.

There was a conscious effort to retrain the employees and become more customer friendly. I remember that thread and some people actually were fired ( at least that was what was said) because of poor customer relations. I believe that was in 2014.

Maybe there is some clerical reason they can not do it. I do not know how their order taking is effected or run. Maybe it is time sensative. But to just take is as an answer and to have to deal with an attitude is not something I would be willing to accept.

Good luck to all parties. I am sure we have not seen the last of these type posts. :)
The first post this time -#21- said he had placed the order the day before he called to ask them to change it.

jttheclockman

And your point is Smitty???? Nowhere did he say they shipped his order already in that post. I have read so many times here about people complaining that it takes so long for PSI to ship their orders. Here they shipped in a matter of hours. His order was done processed and shipped so no refund. Now he said he worked something out with them so they went beyond the expectations and this should turn into a cheer and not a jeer thread. As I said all facts were not presented as is the case with most complaints.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
And your point is Smitty???? Nowhere did he say they shipped his order already in that post. I have read so many times here about people complaining that it takes so long for PSI to ship their orders. Here they shipped in a matter of hours. His order was done processed and shipped so no refund. Now he said he worked something out with them so they went beyond the expectations and this should turn into a cheer and not a jeer thread. As I said all facts were not presented as is the case with most complaints.
My point was that you said/implied that he had called them immediately after he placed the order when he said he had not called them until the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom