Jeer Penn State Ind.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

suefox51

Ordered a kit from them for a Southwest Pen - turned an amazing acrylic blank, put the kit together and the refill spring gets stuck - ok - try another refill and a different spring - same thing - try for over 20 minutes to get the thing to work - not happening.
Call Penn State - nice lady answers phone and transfers me to Tony - less than helpful - never heard of that problem before - tells me I should go to Michaels and buy a small file kit and see if that solves the problem.
Explained that the kit cost almost $20.00, have a show coming up this weekend and don't have time or inclination to shop to fix something that they sold.
After much badgering (on my part I have to admit), got him to agree to send me a new pen tip to see if that solves the problem - he cannot send it overnight unless I pay - will send priority - will see if I ever get it! Grrrr

Sue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
In all fairness, I don't know of any company that ships warranty items by anything other than ground. My company certainly won't ship warranty items by expedited service unless the customer is willing to pay the shipping charges.

Sorry for your frustrations. I hope the replacement arrives in time, but Mark's suggestion is certainly worth a try.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Sue!

When a spring or refill gives you trouble, unscrew the transmission and test the process by hand. Does the refill go in and out easily? If so, look at the bottom of the transmission and turn it, can you see the actuator moving up and down?

The more you can tell the "phone troubleshooter", the more you sound like you have a real problem.

Even I hate to send replacement parts when I can't readily identify what is wrong with the pen----the parts won't help if they are NOT the RIGHT parts.

Not trying to be argumentative, just giving some advice to help you help the vendor.

Hope your parts fix the problem!!

Ed

suefox51

Thanks for all the responses - unfortunately, I've tried all that you suggest - the drill bit, flipping the spring around, etc. Guess I'll just have to wait for the tip and hope that solves the problem :)

duncsuss

Thanks for all the responses - unfortunately, I've tried all that you suggest - the drill bit, flipping the spring around, etc. Guess I'll just have to wait for the tip and hope that solves the problem :)
I had a batch of pens that seemed to stick -- the nib wouldn't retract.

It turned out that the refills themselves had a small "ledge" about a quarter inch back from the point, and this was catching on the inside of the nose cone.

I fixed the problem by changing the refill, though filing the inside of the nose cone would probably have had the same result ... since then I've started using better quality refills in all the pens I sell anyway, keeping the cheapo ones for my own use.

TonyL

I have the same problem with some of their cigars and faith hope and love pens (and a sketch pen.pencil, but that works differently). tried all of the above. I actually only use the higher quality refills: Schmidt, Fisher, MontV.... I have had some luck with the kit refill. It's driving me nuts.

Carl Fisher

In all fairness, I don't know of any company that ships warranty items by anything other than ground.

Rikon. Next day part in hand to fix my air cleaner in the shop.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the original post :biggrin:

I've had a few kits similar where the refill would extend and not retract. Most of the time it ends up being a small burr in the nose cone or in the transmission preventing the refill from actuating without resistance. It doesn't take much to keep those buggers from moving smoothly.

Last edited:

Quality Pen

Just got notification that they created the shipping label today! Guess I won't have it for the show on Saturday :-(
:biggrin: Been there done that...

At the very least I can tell you from experience that even if you stayed up all night to finish a pen, there's no guarantee it would sell!

I know i know... this doesn't help much. BUT, take solace that we've all been there :tongue:

Now I just keep a "throwing" blank in my studio. When something goes wrong you just throw that thing against the ground instead of the (mostly) good pen that you just can't finish! :biggrin::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
In all fairness, I don't know of any company that ships warranty items by anything other than ground.

Rikon. Next day part in hand to fix my air cleaner in the shop.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the original post :biggrin:

I've had a few kits similar where the refill would extend and not retract. Most of the time it ends up being a small burr in the nose cone or in the transmission preventing the refill from actuating without resistance. It doesn't take much to keep those buggers from moving smoothly.
Not always - I waited a week for a lathe part that arrived broken when the lathe came.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom