Cheer Mr Redburn's Silver Pen Parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skie_M

There seems to be a minor issue in the classified forums ... this thread cannot be replied to! It may be closed, or perhaps it was mistakenly created as a "no reply" type of thread?

In this thread, Mr Redburn is selling off some curly Koa blanks, and they are just absolutely stunning ... I went ahead and ordered some from him via a private message through IAP, and they arrived today. Ordered on Friday, here on Monday ... hurray! :)

Still rainy .... next sunny day, I'll try to remember to take pics of all these things that are creeping up on me! :)

I'm gonna get my brand new #4 planer out and see what a nice finished looking surface on this stuff looks like, though, and take a pic using my work lamp over my lathe...

attachment.php

Ahh ... the joys of tuning up a brand new hand planer ...

in background is my #33 (both hand planes from Harbor Freight). As you can see, they take some really nice shavings when properly sharpened and set up. On the left, in front of my lathe, is a bit of work in progress in Chinese Elm for my Christmas Ornament .... don't tell Alan!

Attachments

• koa.jpg
    koa.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 360

Skie_M

attachment.php

The exact same block of curly Koa, after turning it round for my blanks collection ...

I keep a collection of rounded and polished up blanks so that people can look at and hold them and see what the various pens would look like when actually finished. They are sanded to 1000 grit and then lightly finished ... 2 - 3 coats of CA, micromeshed and polished.

This has got to be some of the most gorgeous wood I've gotten my grubby lil paws on! :)

Attachments

• koa2.jpg
    koa2.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 275

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thank you Greg, glad you like them. It turns out I listed them in the plain classified rather than the premium classifieds. You can only respond in the post in Premium Classified, in the std classified you can only respond by PM. A lot of the pictures the wood is darker than it will be when turned.

Skie_M

Oh yes, I noticed that ..... but this stuff is still stunning!

attachment.php

I'm going to have to work a lil harder trying to get that sanding dust out of the pores... thinking a quick acetone bath might work.

Again, this is the very same blank ... just pictured outdoors in bright sunlight. :)

Attachments

• koa3.jpg
    koa3.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 261
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom