A moan at PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rich gubbin

Hi all,
Has anyone else had repeated problems with the plating quality of psi kits. Due to UK suppliers not having what a friend and myself wanted in stock we decided to combine funds and buy direct from PSI. Out of the 4 pens i,ve made so far 2 have faulty platings. This now means we have got to take out every component and inspect them. Is it worth sending them back??? Take into account return shipping and then getting hit for import duty again, maybe not. This has happened on several kits i have bought in the UK and talking to fellow UK pen turners im not alone in having this faulty plating problem. By the way this is on the more expensive black titanium and rhodium finishes. Oh yea and they failed to get the order right sending out 5 polaris pencil kits instead of pens. Having not replied to an email sent out i now have little faith these problems will be resolved.
rgrds
Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I had them replace 2 out of ten on a recient order because of plating. these were gold and had 1 faulty transmission out of the 10..... they made it right but still kinda anoying should have better quality controll.

Daniel

PSI Has always been on the shy side where quality is concerned. I simply know that and expect it. I don't try to make $100 plus pens from their materials. I wouldn't make a top grade dresser from second rate lumber sources either. Knowing your materials. the quality of them and the quality of suppliers is part of being a better penmaker. It is the dofernece betwen makign a pen that can be sold for X number of dollars and making one that is worth X number of dollars. they are not the same thing.

Live and learn, it is how you develop that above parr skill.

beck3906

I had them replace 2 out of ten on a recient order because of plating. these were gold and had 1 faulty transmission out of the 10..... they made it right but still kinda anoying should have better quality controll.

I would imagine that any pen kit supplier uses a sampling technique to check for quality. It would be impossible for Penn State to check every kit within a 5000 kit order to ensure each is correct. They probaby choose a number of the kits, look them over, and declare the lot good.

We as a penturning community could ask for each kit to be inspected prior to shipping. Maybe the suppliers could add an inspection fee onto their shipping cost to cover their labor for doing this service. :wink:

We have to accept that idea that we may receive some kits that are faulty and allow for some of the products to be returned if needed.

Last edited:

plantman

:bananen_smilies019: I have been dealing with PSI for over ten years. Once in a while I have a problem with a kit, but I find by calling or e-maling them they are more than happy to make it right at no cost to you. I can see where dealing with millions of kits a year, some bad ones are going to slip by. You can't check everyone. The only problem I have had is dealing with one of their tec. people. He is a real smart a**, and treats you like your stupid and this is the first kit you are putting together. Delivery seems to be a little slow sometimes. On the other hand, I have purchased some very expensive pen kits that have wrong or missing parts, scratched finished, or did not fit or work correctly. I guess it's like buying anything now days, sometimes you get a bad one. Peace !! Jim S

Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
The only way I use ANY PSI kit is if I get it from Woodturningz. They become my middle man and their support is unsurpassed. This last week I had to return a PSI kit for bad plating. I am nearly at the point of NOT using ANY PSI product beause, as already mentioned, it is a pain in the posterior, returning items, not to mention $4.00 gasoline.

Bigj51

The plating on PSI kits is crap. I've worn through the plating on a rhodium gatsby in less than a week of carry/use. I have better luck with their satin chrome plating on their vertex than their supposed high end platings. Much much better quality on kits manufactured by Berea and sold through other vendors.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would disagree, this is "Cheers and Jeers" not which vendor has better kits or plating.
He or she, adds nothing to the original post. If she had a problem she could easily Post her own Jeer in a new thread. If she wants to know about kit quality or plating qualities than that has been addressed in Casual Conversations and other places and will be again, it happens every now and then. She may not have realized the amount of time that has passed since the last post before hers.

Last edited:

magpens

Without getting legal or picky about words: the need for OP is regrettable. And continuing need for questions and comments on the OP topic is moreso.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Without getting legal or picky about words: the need for OP is regrettable. And continuing need for questions and comments on the OP topic is moreso.
Well Mal, this time I agree with Mike. Her question belongs in another forum. Other vendors such as myself really don't want their names brought up in a jeer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom