Jeer louieland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkD

I purchased some spalted tamarind from IAP member louieleland on April 16. When I had not received the package in a week I attempted to check the shipment using the tracking numbers he supplied me, only to find that USPS had no information for the numbers I had been given. I set him several emails, none of which were answered. I then opened a PalPay claim to which he was supposed to respond to, and never did. Today I received notification that the PayPal transaction had been reversed.

It troubles me that he never responded to either my emails or PayPal. I fear that something may have happened to the guy. However, there is also a good chance that I was scammed.

The purpose of this post is to let other members who might be in the same situation, know that they should open a PayPal claim. It was a very easy process and I have to say that I am impressed that it was handled very quickly. I also believe there is a time limit when you can open the claims so don't wait too long.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Are you sure it was from here at IAP? I did a search and could not find any "louieland", "louieleland" or louie leland" listed as a member.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the member is "louieleland"

He was banned, and so does not show up in user searches.

EDIT: Some further information that led me to conclude this person was not being honest with us: He listed his name here as "Louie L. Valdivia". If I put the email address he used in his profile here into the Facebook search box, it returns a profile for "Louie L. Sunico". I sent him a PM expressing my concern over member complaints about him and even though records indicated that he visited our site two days after I sent the PM, he did not respond. He did not respond to multiple emails from me.

Last edited:

jjjaworski

Jeff,

What a bummer. I guess I was lucky to get some blanks from him when he posted them for sale back then.

I would have never expected to be scammed on this site but I can see that there is an occasional bad apple in the barrel. Sorry to hear you were a victim in this case.

Jim

Lucky2

He took me for nearly $70.00, I haven't gotten any refund or anything as of yet from Pay-Pal as I needed to give extra time for the package to arrive. I live in Canada so we have to make sure that there wasn't a customs problem or some or type of delay. But, now that you've gotten your refund, I'll have to get in touch with Pay-Pal again.
Len

robutacion

Well, I look at these "examples" as proof that, no one is immune of being scammed, regardless...!

Being an IAP member does certainly not save/protect you from scammers and while I know Jeff keeps a very close eye on anyone that smells/looks and runs like a rat, there are times where the scammers are a step in front, as they know what to void (experienced scammers...!)

With that said, it makes me and those other honest folks that offer stuff for sale here, a bit upset and annoyed as once bitten twice shy (so they say and for a good reason).

What makes someone like this fellow that, did no scam everyone do it, is something that I could spend the rest of the day right until Christmas time explaining and exploring so, to void such boringness lets just say, will be always "someone" trying, is up to us to take some steps to void being a target, even then, sometimes you run simply out of luck and you get "bitten", and that case, live, learn and carry on...!

Shame on you, Mr. louieleland...!:(

Cheers
George

WWAtty

It's not only the $$, it's also the hassle factor of chasing down an order that becomes vaporware. Plus, if you have somebody waiting for your finished product, you have that delay.

There was another thread about this Louieland guy a couple weeks ago. IIRC, the aggrieved person was reluctant to post a jeer for the guy, though a few members urged him to do so.

Glad I followed that thread and this one. I'll know to steer well clear of Louieland. Besides, there are too many good vendors here, with good products and service. I'll stick with them.

nativewooder

I consider myself lucky! The first time I ordered from him and he didn't ship, PayPal credited my account. Then last month I ordered from him and received the tamarind. Thanks to Jeff, no more problems from this one.

Andrew_K99

Just a thought, what if there were a minimum time, or post count, to be able to post items for sale? It'd potentially help stop things like this from happening?

Justturnin

This is just odd. Like stated above, what made him do this to some but not all? I ordered a good bit from him in one order and got it pretty quick but it seems to be that stories like mine are the exception.

Andrew_K99

This is just odd. Like stated above, what made him do this to some but not all? I ordered a good bit from him in one order and got it pretty quick but it seems to be that stories like mine are the exception.
You were protentially a pawn in the scam, assuming it was an intentional scam. He sold one item multiple times ... the first few buyers receive their items and then comment making others feel safe to purchase from him. Once people start asking where their goods are he's long gone and has sold the same item 10 times over.

Wingdoctor

I bought some spalted tamarind blanks from him that were advertised as "bone dry". When the USPS envelope arrived they were noticeably damp to the touch. My moisture meter said 24% plus moisture content. Louie said he had dampened them to take the pictures and he was sure they will dry back out quickly. It's been a month and they are still too wet. Eventually they will be turnable for pens.

edicehouse

Sometimes people post on several different sites the same product, with the intent of taking it down if it sells on a different site. I know that is a crap thing to do, but I imagine it happens.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought, what if there were a minimum time, or post count, to be able to post items for sale? It'd potentially help stop things like this from happening?

I can recall two other occasions when we got badly taken by members who had been participating for a while and had hundreds of posts.

Andrew_K99

I can recall two other occasions when we got badly taken by members who had been participating for a while and had hundreds of posts.
That sucks! Sorry these morons keep you and the mod team busy Jeff!

WWAtty

That sucks! Sorry these morons keep you and the mod team busy Jeff!

It's the law of averages, I think. When you have a large number of people in any group (including this one), sooner or later one of them is going to nick you. There's one or two of them in any crowd.

snyiper

Wow Bench that pretty Low!!!! But I agree people like that dont belong here and are weeded out in a short amount of time. It is just sad state of affairs that a few pay the price.

jzerger

"he scamed me over 12months ago, the bloke is lower than a black snakes ass!

good ridance i say!!"

I was reminded in grad school that TAs were octopus fodder...lowest geographically on the planet and lowest in the food chain.

Dan Hintz

Just looking back through some of the jeers (thankfully, there are few of them), and came across this one.

I ordered from "Louie" a few times before he was banned... got a nice product the first time or two, then it stopped. I let the comms go black (on his end) until a week before the PayPal dispute deadline, then I filed. No response from him to PP, so they refunded my money. His packages (I may still have them) had the "Valdivia" name on them.

I always wondered if he passed away or had some emergency to handle... odd to send out so much stuff and then suddenly freeze. I can't imagine he had more than a few hundred $s in cash from people he didn't send product to, and that's a hell of a way to lose your rep for so little.

carpblaster

its good to ask around if people know of the person ur buying from,or check the post on here.
u can usually tell by there post if they are legit by what other wallers say,it has helped me so far,hope every one gets there money or items back

sbell111

its good to ask around if people know of the person ur buying from,or check the post on here.
u can usually tell by there post if they are legit by what other wallers say,it has helped me so far,hope every one gets there money or items back

As Jeff alluded, that's not a perfect solution. There have been times where active members have gone from 'good suppliers' to 'scumbag'. (I'm looking at you, Karl Kuehn.)

Last edited:

dbledsoe

Guess I was lucky. I ordered once and received the spalted Tamarind promptly. I never had a clue he was up to something.

edicehouse

I went back and forth on wether to order some of them, it just seems fishy to me. Half a dozen posts and trying to sell. They day I decided I logged on and saw people were asking what was going on with their orders. I lucked out on that side.

Dan Hintz

The cream always rises to the top. Louie has resurfaced on Sawmill Creek trying to sell stuff...

sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?198019-Ebony-Diospyros-Blancoi-Kamagong-Turning-Blocks-Pristine-condition-No-cracks-Dry

carpblaster

Before i buy something from some one i check them out,most of the time there ok, look at how many post they have,so far i have not been scammed,But buy mostly from vendors unless i need something special

Dan Hintz

FYI... the SMC post was removed and his account has been revoked (I wonder if he got a refund, because he paid the fee to post in the for sale forum).

I love how they jump from one site to the next... luckily there's enough "cross-contamination" of posters so we can keep a few of them honest.

davidbr

I thank Jeff for taking action quickly before others could be taken by him. Gives me an assurance that the dishonest do not last long on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom