Cheer Hobby Tool Supply (cheap diamond whetstone)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skie_M

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1T2ZVM

Unbelievably priced at $6.99 each, these are beautiful little diamond coated whetstones ... no diamond shaped gaps in the surface, just smooth nickel plated steel with embedded diamonds. 400 grit on one side, 600 grit on the other.

attachment.php

I'll be putting it through it's paces as I sharpen up my collection of chisels and planers, but these guys provide a beautiful little product at 1/3 of the price I expected ...

The dimensions are 3/8" thick (1/16" steel plates top and bottom, 1/8" black HDPE type plastic in between for rigid support), 2 inches wide, and 6 inches long.

I wish they provided higher grits in similar stones for a similar price ... I'ld definitely stock up!

Attachments

• 718-gJKu5zL._AC_UL115_.jpg
    718-gJKu5zL._AC_UL115_.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 573
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

That's hard to beat! If I didn't have 6 of the others, I would give these a try. Thanks for posting.

jttheclockman

Sorry I pulled my comments that is the reason for the editing. It is your review. My comments do not belong here. Good luck with your purchase. Once again sorry

Last edited:

Skie_M

Duncan sent me a PM with a nice listing on Ebay ... Thanks Duncan!

LINK

Not bad ... not bad at all! $4.99 each, for the most part, for each grit, and about 3" x 7" size! These are just the diamond coated plates, with diamond on one side.

I'm going to go ahead and order 1000#, 2000#, and 3000#, 2 of each, and mount them securely on some plastic cutting board cutoffs. I may even go ahead and get them in the lower grits too, for rough work.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Duncan sent me a PM with a nice listing on Ebay ... Thanks Duncan!

LINK

Not bad ... not bad at all! $4.99 each, for the most part, for each grit, and about 3" x 7" size! These are just the diamond coated plates, with diamond on one side.

I'm going to go ahead and order 1000#, 2000#, and 3000#, 2 of each, and mount them securely on some plastic cutting board cutoffs. I may even go ahead and get them in the lower grits too, for rough work.
Be aware -
"Estimated between Thu. Jan. 19 and Mon. Mar. 6 Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 10 business days."
This link does not appear to be the same source as the one Skie M posted.

Last edited:

Skie_M

True, it's not the same source, but I'm going to give them a try ... I want the higher grit diamond plates for sharpening, and I like having more real estate to work with.

Those $4.99 plates are also free shipping, and look to be of similar quality (at least in the images) ... I'll find out when they get here.

Also, when I ordered the double-sided plates there was shipping involved ... I think the "express shipping" option was only 2 or 3 dollars more and I might have hit that.

The original order date was Dec 23rd ... got here on Dec 28th, but was slated for delivery between Dec 30th and Jan 5th.

oldtoolsniper

True, it's not the same source, but I'm going to give them a try ... I want the higher grit diamond plates for sharpening, and I like having more real estate to work with.

Those $4.99 plates are also free shipping, and look to be of similar quality (at least in the images) ... I'll find out when they get here.

Also, when I ordered the double-sided plates there was shipping involved ... I think the "express shipping" option was only 2 or 3 dollars more and I might have hit that.

The original order date was Dec 23rd ... got here on Dec 28th, but was slated for delivery between Dec 30th and Jan 5th.

Have you gotten a chance to try them out yet? I'm interested in your thoughts.

I own a lot of the DMT stones and I have nothing but praise for them. They are far from inexpensive but they work and work well. They hold up very well and require little maintenance.

I bought a set of Trend diamond stones and they did not hold up well at all for me.

I've tried some others that were kind of like trying to sharpen a knife on your cement driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Skie_M

Trying out the double sided plates from Hobby Tool Supply right now ...

My block plane came out excellent, but that probably has more to do with me using this brand new angle guide that I bought at the same time as the plates. Having the proper and consistent angle helps a ton.

I sharpened the block plate for a 30 degree bevel, along with my #33 bench plane. Both are now cutting as smoothly as ever, even with the quality control put out by Harbor Freight. Last one going on the block right now is my #4 bench plane, and I'm putting a 25 degree bevel on it, mostly just to try it out and see the difference it makes. (Takes a good long while to change a bevel without using a grinder .... I'm using the HF diamond block 200 grit plate to take it down faster.)

Having a perfectly smooth diamond plated surface helps a good deal .... no chances to get the corners stuck in the little holes in the plates of my HF sharpening block.

Last edited:

monophoto

Based on the comments, I ordered one of these diamond plates It arrived today, and my initial impression is positive.

But I have to say that the shipping information provided was misleading at best. I was given a reference number, and told that he left the vendor en route to the shipping company at 8:30am last Friday. The e-mail said that the shipper would be DHL.

I just checked - after receiving the item - and found that the shipping status hasn't changed; no update in status since last Friday even through it was delivered today.

Turns out that it was shipped USPS and not DHL. I know, that's a minor thing, but if something HAD gone wrong, I would have been really screwed because they provided bogus shipping information.

Skie_M

No ... these items ship here from Hong Kong via DHL ...

It's just that after it hits the states, they turn it over to USPS.

Mine arrived a good deal earlier than expected, yes ... plus, they STILL think it may not yet have arrived, lol ... I've had them a week already! I went ahead and put in my nice positive review. These have been working GREAT for me ... wet or dry!

A few days back, I even ground the sharp edges and corners off of some glass plates, and used CA to apply high grit sandpaper to the glass ... 1000, 2000, 4000, 6000, and 12,000 grit. I have a 6th plate of the same side that has a layer of Hobby Lobby craft foam. This one will carry a polishing compound. These 6 plates will be used for hand grinding/polishing facets on some low grade/semi-precious stones and crystals.

Knocking down the edges and polishing them out using the diamond plate was painlessly easy and fast!

Skie_M

My current order for the plain unbacked diamond grit coated plates (single sided steel diamond coated plates) is on it's way now ... currently in Shenzhen, China.

My order for a pair of 10,000 grit corundum/ceramic polishing stones arrived today ...

This should allow me to take any blade and polish that cutting edge in decently allowable steps from 120 grit all the way to 3000 grit on diamond, and then jump from the 3000 grit to 10,000 grit for the final honing of the edges ... and it'll all work on my carbide bits too!

Skie_M

Lol ... order tracking shows it's still in Shenzhen, China ... it arrived in my mailbox today! :)

The plates look decently flat (minor bows in a few of them that will go away once I epoxy them down to a good flat surface), and the grit on the surface is pretty evenly distributed and of appropriate grain size ... They look to be an excellent purchase!

Side note on that 10,000 grit waterstone ... apparently, they lied about it being a corundum based stone, so I can't use it on my carbide bits. :( It's a fairly soft manufactured ceramic "stone" surface that polishes the edge of a blade ... need to draw the blade across it in reverse, stropping the edge rather than pushing the blade forward across it to hone the edge. Still a good purchase!

duncsuss

Not bad on the delivery (wasn't the original estimate somewhere between January 19 and March 2075? :biggrin:)

I hope these work well for you, at some point I'll be getting a set myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom