Cheer Excellent Metal Lathe Work by Nikitas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveG

I recently bought two Damascus Steel rods from Roy, one of which was in "Rough" form: A 12 inch by about 1.25 inch rod of Damascus that had been made from motorcycle chains, and had the look of a twisted rope. I realized that my little 7 X 16 metal lathe was not the "perfect" tool to attack this rod, but wanted to give it a try anyhow. After mounting this rather large rod on my lathe, I thought I heard the sound of a rumbling chuckle just coming out of nowhere. I glanced around the shop, saw no one, and went back to work. With the rod turning at a moderate speed, I tried every cutting tool that I had. That chuckle heard earlier, now was an outright laugh...loud and getting louder. To cut this long story short, that big chunk of twisted, very hard, Damascus steel was roaring with laughter at every valiant but futile attempt by this tiny lathe to make any headway. When I was seeking suggestions in a thread I had previously posted, Nikitas (Brian) offered to do the rough turning. Figuring I had abused my lathe enough, I took Brian up on his offer. He did a great job, at a fair price, and I now have a smoothly turned rod which I CAN turn. This was a difficult turning task, done well, and I thought it worthy of a "Cheer". Brian offers some carbide insert turning tools, and a nice selection of TBC bushings at his site:

TBC Bushings Nikitas Woodworks - Main

As I learned, he is ready to take on challenging metal turning jobs as well. If I find more Damascus in the rough form, I will be going back. Thanks Brian!

jttheclockman

It is funny because I just watched a program yesterday called something like Handmade Crafts in America or something close to that. But in it one segment showed a husband and wife making hand made knifes from Damascus steel. They explained what it was and how tough it was to work it. They formed it and beat it on an anvil and when they got done they were some of the most beautiful knives you ever wanted to see. What detail right down to the carving of the handles.

I could just imagine what it takes to make a pen from it. I do have a blank of that stuff but have not even attempted to turn it round. It looks tough. :):)

southernclay

Thanks for posting Steve, I ended up with a few of those rods. Not exactly sure what I will end up doing with them. My brother is a knife maker and some may go to him. I got a metal lathe earlier in the year but haven't put in any time on it yet so know it's way above my abilities. When the time comes though this seems like the route to go for sure.

Would love to see pics if convenient or when you get a chance to tackle a project.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom