Cheer Customer service at Harbor Freight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

plantman

In April or May I purchased a pressure washer from our local Harbor Freight store. Yesterday it had a meltdown and went up in smoke. It came with a 90 day in store warranty which had expired by now. It would cost me more to ship it to the manufacture for replacement or repair than it would to buy a new one, plus the wait. So I called the local store and talked to Keven, the manager, explaining my problem. He asked if I had purchased the 2 year replacement warranty. I had not !! He said that after the 90 days they had no obligation on the pressure washer, but, if I returned it to the store he would refund my money or replace the unit with a new one if I took out the 2 year replacement warranty. Cost: $36. So for $36 I have a new pressure washer, 2 year replacement warranty, and a great respect or Harbor Freight's customer service above and beyond what I had hoped for. They might not sell the top of the line tools, but at least they will bend over backwards to keep a happy customer. :tongue:. Jim S

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good for you

I have gotten a few things from them that are not very good but I've gotten others that were really first rate. And luckily maybe, I've never had to return anything, so it's good to hear they'll treat you well if you do.

csr67

They are quite fair at returns. When I first started with pen turning, I bought the mini lathe from HF. After about 45 days I realized I needed to spend a bit more and get a better lathe. The HF's mt1 and sloppy tail stock was really holding me back. They gave me a full refund, including the warranty I had purchased, with no questions asked.

Skie_M

I've still got my mini lathe from HFT ....

I also went and got their cheap tool set. I had read the reviews on everything before I got anything, so I knew those tools wouldn't be sharp right out of the box. Thankfully, I also have the 1 x 30 HFT belt sander, with sanding disc combo. I swapped the sanding disc out for a buffing wheel instead ... I use this to sharpen my lathe tools and buff the bevels on them too.

Back in July, I wanted to do some custom grinds on my lathe tools, but I still wanted fairly standard grind tools available too, so I went back and looked for another of the cheap tools. They were not in stock, but I had a 25% off coupon and they were supposed to be on sale for $18.99. I asked I could special order one, and apply the coupon. I was told by the store manager that he'ld allow that, if I was willing to pay for it up front. I was told that there would be a 2 week wait for them to get in-store for me to be able to come pick them up. I was quite happy with the arrangement.

Unfortunately, the order went unfilled for nearly 1 full month, as the warehouse was out of them and none were available to send .... Since this was not a discontinued or clearance item, I sent in an email asking what was up with the wait, and I got a response from the district manager stating that he would look into the problem and have it fixed for me within the week. Even more unfortunately, the district manager decided to take it out on the store manager, who had gone to other nearby Harbor Freight stores looking for the tools on my behalf and calling around to see if anybody could ship the item to his store, and chewed him out for selling something that was not available in-store. Needless to say, the store manager is now unwilling to sell items that are not currently in stock, no matter what it is.

This was a very unfortunate outcome, both for me and my local harbor freight store. I got my tools a week later, but I went ahead and sent in an email to their customer support team, stating that it was quite counterproductive for a district manager to chew out a store manager over doing his best to help his customers. Your story was a much more happy one, and I think these store managers are doing a great job, as long as their bosses don't stick their big noses in the way.

Last edited:

plantman

If your local store doesn't have it in stock, go online and see if it in stock at the warehouse or out of stock there also. You can always order on line and use the discount code. Jim S

plantman

Something I noticed as I was putting my papers away for the pressure washer. Harbor Freight calls this warranty an Extended Service Protection. It starts after the factory warranty expires, and extends 2 years after. If something fails or you have a scratch in it, just bring it back to the store and they will replace it with no deductibles or hidden fees. I would assume at that time you could purchase another Extended Service Protection plan for $36 and be covered for another 2 years and 90 days. Jim S

duncsuss

...bring it back to the store and they will replace it with no deductibles or hidden fees. I would assume at that time you could purchase another Extended Service Protection plan for $36 and be covered for another 2 years and 90 days. Jim S

That was my experience when I had to return my lathe (though I think the cost of the extended protection is scaled according to the price of the item you're buying.) I remember the store manager told me "it's more like an insurance policy than a service plan."

BigRob777

My philosophy with tools is this: If I will use it often, then I buy higher grade tools. If I am trying something out, or if I will seldom use a tool, I buy Harbor Freight tools.

BTW, does anyone here remember me? I had to quit turning and selling blanks, because of some pretty bad arthritis. I had an operation on my left thumb and hope to be able to turn again soon.

Sorry about the old price list tag, I have no idea how to change it.

Last edited:

Skie_M

My philosophy with tools is this: If I will use it often, then I buy higher grade tools. If I am trying something out, or if I will seldom use a tool, I buy Harbor Freight tools.

BTW, does anyone here remember me? I had to quit turning and selling blanks, because of some pretty bad arthritis. I had an operation on my left thumb and hope to be able to turn again soon.

Sorry about the old price list tag, I have no idea how to change it.

Top left of the screen, you'll see a line of text under the IAP logo that contains "Active Topics", "User CP", "Forums", "FAQ", ect ....

Click on "User CP" and from inside of there you find the tab for "Settings and Options" halfway down the left side, and you can edit your signature.

JimB

I've always had good experiences at my local Harbor Freight. I've returned or exchanged a few items without any problems. When I have needed help the employees are always great. I understand the quality of the tools so that is not an issue. Sometimes the line at the registers is a bit long so I wish they had more cashiers at times but other than that I like going to HF.

SDB777

First, congrats on Harbor Freight helping you out.

Secondly, I can tell you were not at the Little Rock store. It's hard to get anyone to even answer the phone, nevermind speaking in a language that an American could understand. I'm guessing the pressure washer you returned will end up on the sales floor in LRock soon!

Scott (hand tools are okay there) B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom