Crawford studios wood bad?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to post this since I cant seem to post under the thread in the for sale sections.

I was impressed with the spaulted magnolia from Crawford studios so I ordered some.
What arrived is horrible! 1 is broken, out of all 7 pieces we can blame the post office but the packageing was also bad there was no packing just wrapped in some scrap cardboard and taped over.

Only one looks nicely patterned like the pic and is great, IF IT DIDN'T HAVE ATONE OF TARE OUT about 1/8" deep making it useless.
1 has a knot right through it, I'm sure it will crack and bend. Almost none of it is to dimensioned to spec it is short on one side or the other.

It is also dripping wet! I doubt it will dry wit out cracking or warping a big problem with blanks cut this tight by the time it warps it is useless. Some of it is already a little curved.

2-3 of them have almost no figure to them, nothing like what was pictured. Basically out of the 7 I ordered there is not one good one like in the pic.

I am a bit disappointed he is taking these right off the tree ripping them with a dull band saw and table saw as small as possible, all have marks and tare out and sending them off.

Sorry for the rant I just hate being ripped off I am to old for that.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Sorry to hear about that .

I thought the picture showed outstanding wood. I was going to order some. Glad I didn't now.

Jim Smith

I would suggest that you contact the vendor directly and let them know how disappointed you are with the shipment. Include photos of the blanks and tell them what you think would be appropriate compensation (i.e. a new set of blanks that look like the one shown on the advertisement) or part of your money back. I find that most vendors appreciate the opportunity to make things right and will treat you fairly. If they're not receptive to your comments or don't respond at all, then you have that much more information to post about their products and their service. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Thanks for the moving it, I did contact the vender then filed a pay pal dispute, I have not herd back. Yes the pic looks great These guys really have to picture what t hey are selling and state they are very fresh cut most of them have now curved quire a bit and are useless as well because they curved and twisted. This stuff really need to dry for a day or two non cut to stabilize.

bjbear76

I also ordered some blanks from him. I specifically asked if they needed to be stabilized before ordering. His reply was no, they were dry and should be ready for turning. They definitely are not dry. And like you, half of the blanks were warped and really bland.

Karl_99

I checked the wood that I just bought from him and the spalted oak pen blanks are very nice - good figure and straight I also bought a block of spalted magnolia for pen blanks and it has a lot of checks. I sent Steve pics so he can see the checks and figure out what to do to resolve it. At this point, I am optimistic that he will make it right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom