Cheer Columbus Ohio Woodcraft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stuckinohio

The Columbus Ohio Woodcraft store is incredible. Well, not necessarily the store itself but the Manager and Owner. The store is nice and they seem to have a great selection of lumber and wood working tools, but the pen blank selection is lacking and I really don't care for some of the pen kits.

However, Tyler the manager and the store owner are great. Tyler is knowledgeable in most things woodworking, including pen making. He knows my first and last name without asking. The owner is very personable, even though he is not a woodworker, but he is starting to do more now.

The store is really out of my way, and I have a well stocked local woodworking store (except for pen stuff, which is terrible selection) much closer, but the customer service at the local store is lacking and they don't seem to have employees with as much knowledge. So I go out of my way to buy at the Woodcraft.

I have purchased a cabinet table saw, nice midi lathe and a 14" band saw from them, along with lots of other stuff of course. I buy from them because Tyler always gives me a discount even when there is no sale going on. He gave me a sweet deal on the band saw, which was a floor model, allowing me to buy a much nicer saw for the price of a lesser model. Actually, later today I am going to buy a small Rikon mini lathe for buffing wheels and he is giving me a large discount on that as well!

Obviously I know he caters to me since I spend money there, but I wouldn't spend money there if he didn't hook me up on prices or be able to help with questions. I prefer to buy from locally owned businesses, but I just can't in this case.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

You are buying from a locally owned business. It is the franchise owner and his staff you are supporting.

My local Woodcraft has always been extremely helpful as well. I have received a lot of very good advice from their very knowledgeable staff.

williaty

WC on Bethel is good for equipment and pen stuff, but their wood is VERY overpriced and I have more problems with movement and splitting from their stock than any other source for wood.

Wood Werks, which is the other store you mention, is really much more oriented towards production and commercial woodworking. You're right that they don't have quite as much knowledge for the hobbyist woodworker. On the other hand, if you need to talk to someone about the CNC machines, OSHA-approved dust collection, 8hp shapers, etc, you'll do way better at WW than at WC. WW's wood also is a bit cheaper and I have much less problem with the wood splitting or moving after I bring it home.

I do about half my shopping at each store since they target different needs.

stuckinohio

I agree, I just don't do cabinet work and furniture stuff! Though, I feel like woodcraft is cheaper on lumber too, but that is just an observation and not fro actual comparisons.

WC on Bethel is good for equipment and pen stuff, but their wood is VERY overpriced and I have more problems with movement and splitting from their stock than any other source for wood.

Wood Werks, which is the other store you mention, is really much more oriented towards production and commercial woodworking. You're right that they don't have quite as much knowledge for the hobbyist woodworker. On the other hand, if you need to talk to someone about the CNC machines, OSHA-approved dust collection, 8hp shapers, etc, you'll do way better at WW than at WC. WW's wood also is a bit cheaper and I have much less problem with the wood splitting or moving after I bring it home.

I do about half my shopping at each store since they target different needs.

williaty

Nope, compare prices per board foot. Woodcraft is SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive most days. If you compare the rack of short figured and exotic woods in the center of the wood room, they're waaaaay more expensive per board foot even than Keim's, let alone Wood Werks.

It's horses for courses though. WC's selection of finishing supplies and turning tools vastly outstrips WW's. You have to know which shop to go to for what you need that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom