Jeer capt eddie castelin /eddiecastelin.com/ big guy productions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
I needed a few new cutters and after searching on here, a few threads suggested Capt Eddie, I looked at his site and all I used in the past was the square cutters and wanted to try some of the others..

On Dec 02, I emailed asking if it was possible to get three cutters:

18 mm round carbide cutter
17mm Triangle Carbide Cutter
15 mm R2 (Radius Squared) Carbide cutter

($24 + $3 shipping)

I got an email back saying "yes it would" (Simple response, but gave me the info I thought I needed)

After paying by paypal moments after his email on Dec 02, I had no response to my order (confirmation,etc) so I emailed on Dec 07 to see if he got my order, was told "not yet, they ship to me on Monday".

So waited and on Dec 13, emailed again and got "I expect them on Monday". So I called to see what was the issue, He said they were stuck in customs. ( I wish his origional response to me on Dec 02 told me that he had NONE in stock).

So the package arrived Dec 24, opened it and there was three R2 cutters!!!!!

Emailed Eddie to see if there was a mixup, he wrote back "Yes it would. But this has to be a phone order".

I emailed him back and asked him how I was supposed to know that, and never received a response back yet.

Now.. from his cutters page:

"We had to bring in lots of inventory" made me think they had stock..
"We will break packages for all buyers, just ask!" Which I did..

Anyone have any issues like this or know where else I can get the round/triangle cutters without waiting a month to get them?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Never had an issue with any orders from Eddie. Always a quick turnaround and delivery.

If you are using a credit card, his site does mention that you have to call to place the order.

Last edited:

mywoodshopca

John, Yes I did use paypal and used his cart to check out.

The notes also mentioned what cutters I needed, as well as the email that was sent (mentioned the cutter selection twice) and also confirmed over the phone the last time I called on Dec 21, to which he said they were mailed early that morning. I am leaving KS in a week so that is why I was so anxious to get them before I left since I broke my last square cutter.

capneddie

Money Back Guarantee

I always offer a money back guarantee and don't even keep the postage it the mistake is on the buyer's part. He asked if he could order one each, but then placed an order over the internet for 3 of one cutter. We process about 40 order a day and receive over 100 e-mails. We can't be expected to take a question in an e-mail and make it into a changed order.

I will ship him the missing cutters, at my expense, as soon as they are available. This is what we do on a regular basis. We do more of this since we introduced the new smaller cutters to copy some other E-Z tool cutters. Turners guess at the size of what the have, instead of checking, and order the wrong stuff. We replace and ship at our expense. If anyone else in the business does better than this, I want to know about it.
Cap'n Eddie
I sure hope I get this cleared up so we can get back to pen turning.

mywoodshopca

I always offer a money back guarantee and don't even keep the postage it the mistake is on the buyer's part. He asked if he could order one each, but then placed an order over the internet for 3 of one cutter. We process about 40 order a day and receive over 100 e-mails. We can't be expected to take a question in an e-mail and make it into a changed order.

I will ship him the missing cutters, at my expense, as soon as they are available. This is what we do on a regular basis. We do more of this since we introduced the new smaller cutters to copy some other E-Z tool cutters. Turners guess at the size of what the have, instead of checking, and order the wrong stuff. We replace and ship at our expense. If anyone else in the business does better than this, I want to know about it.
Cap'n Eddie
I sure hope I get this cleared up so we can get back to pen turning.

My initial email asked about getting one of each, then in my paypal comments after placing an order, I added what I was requesting, then again during our emails, and also during one phone call I mentioned what I was wanting. You had said you were waiting on the R2 that's why the order wasn't processed yet. (one of our last calls).

I emailed you last night about this and got your response, but emailed back asking how I was supposed to know about the phone order, but still no response via email - just this thread.

Yes, I would love to get back to pen turning, :frown: but as mentioned in one of our previous emails, I got rid of my other chisels as I preferred the carbide cutters for all my turnings and that I broke my last one, so I was dead in the water most of December waiting on cutters I ordered. (which I thought was in stock) otherwise I would have had to order them elsewhere. :frown:

Is there any ETA as to when you will have the other two cutters in stock?

Last edited:

Lucky2

Personally, I've never had anything but, outstanding service from Cap'n Ed. I've learned a lot from him also through his video series, he is a great teacher. He answers all calls promptly and if he can't take your call he will call you back as soon as he possibly can. I use his products and I really like them, the price he charges is not near what the other fellows charge for the Carbide inserts. And if there's a back order, he ships the remainder at his own expense. The R2 cutters were not in stock when I placed my order in mid Dec, but, they were mailed to me at a later date. Actually, they arrived here the first of last week, Eddie paid the extra to ship them to Canada. I was impressed with this level of service, heck, just try to get some people to ship to Canada even if it's not at their expense. As for me and the Carbide cutters I will be needing, they will be coming from Cap'n Eddies.
Len

Old Codger

Sorry to hear about you issues with Capt'n Eddie and his carbide cutters! I have to say, I've purchased several of his cutters and his carbide cutting tools and never had a problem...always first rate service and products! I'm ready to order a few more cutters and maybe try out another couple of his tools/handles and will be VERY surprised if I have any problems. Of course, I don't expect 'immediate' delivery and plan ahead if need the tools/cutters but no longer than I do from any other wood turning source... Safe turning to you and hope your next order will meet your shipping requirements and tool quality.

mywoodshopca

Sorry to hear about you issues with Capt'n Eddie and his carbide cutters! I have to say, I've purchased several of his cutters and his carbide cutting tools and never had a problem...always first rate service and products! I'm ready to order a few more cutters and maybe try out another couple of his tools/handles and will be VERY surprised if I have any problems. Of course, I don't expect 'immediate' delivery and plan ahead if need the tools/cutters but no longer than I do from any other wood turning source... Safe turning to you and hope your next order will meet your shipping requirements and tool quality.

Thanks

Must have been a fluke. I did get the proper cutters after all. As far as immediate delivery, I didn't expect that, but when it took nearly a month to go a few states with no updates, heck, I didn't even know if he ever got my payment and was told on a few emails that they were being mailed that monday, (each time, next weeks monday). I wish communication would have been better. I would have been very patient if I had known what the issue was.

But in all fairness, I would buy again, but would hope for better communication if issues arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom