Why all the Juniors?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

There are at least 10 Jr. Somethings available. Is this a popular name for capped pens or just a designation of a particular series? Where are the Seniors and Madams or Lady(s)?

Jr. Aaron
Jr. Antony
Jr. Abraham
Jr. Emperor
Jr. Gent II
Jr. Majestic
Jr. Morgan
Jr. Retro
Jr. Statesman
Jr. Zeus
Jr. Walker

The last one was mine. These are all quality items but wont this make it a little confusing after a while? Maybe customers don't care what the name is as long as it's appealing? What say all you marketers out there?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Customers don't care about the names.

They are called that usually because there are bigger versions as well. Same styles but larger pen.

The reason you see jr much more than the full size version is that the big ones are more $ usually and less popular overall as the size is too big for many peoples preferences.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Customers don't care about the names.

They are called that usually because there are bigger versions as well. Same styles but larger pen.

The reason you see jr much more than the full size version is that the big ones are more $ usually and less popular overall as the size is too big for many peoples preferences.
Right Dan, the Jr. Emperor for instance is a smaller version of the Emperor. The full size kits are larger and heavier aimed at collectors and people who like really big pens. The Jr size are the same design reduced in size and aimed at a more general clientele who are not looking for very large pens but still want a fairly substantial pen.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

These are all built on the same platform, the Jr. Gent ll, all use the same bushings, drill bits ID and OD tubes and most the same length tubes. So you can have different looks but don't have to buy extra bushings, bit and in most cases molds for casting. For some tim the were complaints that every new component set introduced also had to have new bushings, bits etc, Of course most that know me know that I would change the names when selling to the end customer.

vakmere

Of course most that know me know that I would change the names when selling to the end customer.

Then it's OK to name it whatever we want for market appeal? I can rename a Baron to a Baroness if selling to a female. I guess it shouldn't make a difference. Thanks you all for the explanations.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Then it's OK to name it whatever we want for market appeal? I can rename a Baron to a Baroness if selling to a female. I guess it shouldn't make a difference. Thanks you all for the explanations.

You can call your pens anything you want when you sell them. In general, I think the idea of not using the vendors names is so your customers don't search for your stuff and instead find the parts you bought, especially if you sell on the web to a higher end clientele. If you are selling, marketing is just as important as the quality of your craftsmanship.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

You can call your pens anything you want when you sell them. In general, I think the idea of not using the vendors names is so your customers don't search for your stuff and instead find the parts you bought, especially if you sell on the web to a higher end clientele. If you are selling, marketing is just as important as the quality of your craftsmanship.
I would almost think it would behoove the turner to attach his own name or at least initials to the finished pens.

Additionally not all vendors attach the "jr." to all of their kits Baron and Caballero are two examples of what is essentially a jr size pen kit not called 'Jr" - I'm sure there are other examples as well.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Jr.Joe..... Jr. Vak.....JV Fountain Pen, hmmm, food for thought.

Jr could carry an idea of inferiority or less than the real real.

I get the idea but wouldn't that be true for anything preceded by Jr? I like the idea of the cities however has anyone here renamed the brand pens with their own title? If so is that something to share?
I have renamed the Dayacom Major Twist Pen which is slightly different than their normal listing for this kit. I call it the Le Roi Elegant Major by Dayacom. I will add SPW to the brand name kits when they go into my store but That's about all, if someome is searching for the brand name and we have it we want them to find our site.

Last edited:

Quality Pen

I call my pens "pens" when I talk to customers...

I'm sure it will become more sophisticated one day, but in the mean time I can't say anyone ever asked what the name of the pen they just bought was! :biggrin:

If you have an online store then it certainly would help, but if you're mostly selling "belly-to-belly" I can't even see how the name of a pen would come up!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I call my pens "pens" when I talk to customers...

I'm sure it will become more sophisticated one day, but in the mean time I can't say anyone ever asked what the name of the pen they just bought was! :biggrin:

If you have an online store then it certainly would help, but if you're mostly selling "belly-to-belly" I can't even see how the name of a pen would come up!
I think having a name for a "line" of pens makes sense even the big name companies like Mont Blanc do that. If someone sees one of your pens and asks about it, it's nice if the owner can tell him who to get it from and what to ask for.

Top Bottom