When did Chrome plating become high end???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IS CHROME HIGH END?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

I ask this because as I have started to deal with manufactures overseas & some of them have presented component sets to me as high end with chrome plating.
As soon as I tell them no I would want that component set in Rhodium or Black titanium the price increases 30-45%. I ask them why the large increase and the reply.........now get this "Mr. Robaldo Rhodium is a much more expensive plating and is what all higher priced pens would sell for. NOW MADAM WHY DID YOU TELL ME JUST LESS THAN A HOUR AGO THAT THE COMPONENT IS A HIGH END COMPONENT & YOU WILL MAKE THAT COMPONENT IN CHROME PLATING.
Her answer was to give me a cheaper price. The difference in wholesale pricing from the manufacturer between chrome and Rhodium is substantial.
Go into any Wal-Mart, Staples, or Office depot and you'll find Papermates for less than $5 in chrome hanging on a pegboard rack, in Staples and Office Depot their higher end pens (granted they have just a few)are in locked cases.
Would you buy your wife a diamond ring mounted in a Chrome band?
Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with chrome plating on lower end components but not on what is considered top of the line.

Last edited:

thewishman

Ironically, most of my customers don't care what the plating is. What makes it ironic is that my customers are higher-end jewelry stores.

I don't consider chrome to be high-end, but they want something that is shiny to stay shiny. I may try some Jr. pens in chrome if the price difference were substantial.

OKLAHOMAN

Ironically, most of my customers don't care what the plating is. What makes it ironic is that my customers are higher-end jewelry stores.

I don't consider chrome to be high-end, but they want something that is shiny to stay shiny. I may try some Jr. pens in chrome if the price difference were substantial.

Cris, I'd be surprised if you'd ask them which would they prefer to talk to their customers about they would choose chrome

TonyL

I don't know if chrome is high-end. However, It is my primary finish because of its versatility - followed by SS, then gun metal.

wood-of-1kind

Best value for your 'plating' dollar in terms of durability and a nice look. Gold is yesterday's news and a lot of my clients prefer the understated look of chrome. Looks good on most blanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Cris, I'd be surprised if you'd ask them which would they prefer to talk to their customers about they would choose chrome

An old saying in sales, "Stop when you reach "Yes""!!

If you have a good relationship and you have found a price point you agree on, for a product you both find to match the quality you want, DON'T rock the boat!!!!

I've always marvelled at the conversations where "ONLY rhodium will do!!" But, the data of the industry shows that Chrome slimlines are still the number one selling pen. If you "grow up" being comfortable with chrome and it never lets you down (something that is not true of many platings), what will motivate you to change??

My opinions have evolved as I learn from my customers, and the information I can derive from other industry sources. So, if you like chrome, visit us---we like chrome too!! After learning the rhodium is less than half a percent of the pen and after seeing the additional cost of rhodium, chrome is shining brighter, every day!!

Dan Masshardt

I guess it's all subjective really. Is a high end car a Lexus or a Maserati? Average joe prob considers them both fancy cars.

Chrome is the Lexus and rhodium...

edstreet

An old saying in sales, "Stop when you reach "Yes""!! If you have a good relationship and you have found a price point you agree on, for a product you both find to match the quality you want, DON'T rock the boat!!!! I've always marvelled at the conversations where "ONLY rhodium will do!!" But, the data of the industry shows that Chrome slimlines are still the number one selling pen. If you "grow up" being comfortable with chrome and it never lets you down (something that is not true of many platings), what will motivate you to change?? My opinions have evolved as I learn from my customers, and the information I can derive from other industry sources. So, if you like chrome, visit us---we like chrome too!! After learning the rhodium is less than half a percent of the pen and after seeing the additional cost of rhodium, chrome is shining brighter, every day!!

Question. Please show everyone this proof that rhodium is less than half a percent. That's not what the plating companies are telling me.

I also want to see this alleged industry data. We all know that 'data' can be skewed and twisted to make it mean anything we want.

Not saying it does not exist but I have yet to see any proof of these claims. I also love to be wrong to.

Perhaps to we should ask our resident expert. .... BradG this info and see what he can input. Help debunk the urban legends and myths flying out there and all of uses heard plenty.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gee Ed. You often quote "anonymous sources" and "industry experts", I'm amazed you haven't talked or emailed these same sources!!

Perhaps they say more to me, since I am placing significant orders--what was YOUR last "big buy of pen components"??

edstreet

So you are unable to provide much needed info to the public.

I have several numbers of platters I will be calling this upcoming week and posting results here. A la Sterling silver thread.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not unable, UNWILLING!

I see no need to try to placate you--I used to do that, I see the results. I learn from my experiences.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus

I have several numbers of platters I will be calling this upcoming week and posting results here. A la Sterling silver thread.

Maybe, if you are lucky, The Platters will sing "The Great Pretender" to you. That would be quite appropriate. Then, when your done listening to them you could contact some PLATERS, you know, the people who do PLATING

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Roy,

I don't consider chrome to be high end but it is a good seller for me. It is a prety durable plating for the money and like others have said, if it shines than that is all some people really care about. I do prefer chrome (silver color) over gold for a pen.

thewishman

Roy, I'm upfront about the platings and provide full descriptions of each pen component for their salespeople. The store owners almost never care about the platings, they want shiny finishes that will stay shiny. I only sell pens with chrome, rhodium and titanium platings. I cannot give stainless steel away, and I will not offer any other platings. In nine years of sales, I have not had a plating failure that has been reported to me, I offer lifetime replacements.

In discussions with their salespeople and with their customers over the years, I cannot remember any customer asking about the plating. They want something of high-quality that will remain as shiny as when they purchased it.

I stopped offing wood pens with finishes (plexiglas or CA) because I could not guarantee their durability over time and use.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
An old saying in sales, "Stop when you reach "Yes""!! If you have a good relationship and you have found a price point you agree on, for a product you both find to match the quality you want, DON'T rock the boat!!!! I've always marvelled at the conversations where "ONLY rhodium will do!!" But, the data of the industry shows that Chrome slimlines are still the number one selling pen. If you "grow up" being comfortable with chrome and it never lets you down (something that is not true of many platings), what will motivate you to change?? My opinions have evolved as I learn from my customers, and the information I can derive from other industry sources. So, if you like chrome, visit us---we like chrome too!! After learning the rhodium is less than half a percent of the pen and after seeing the additional cost of rhodium, chrome is shining brighter, every day!!

Question. Please show everyone this proof that rhodium is less than half a percent. That's not what the plating companies are telling me.

I also want to see this alleged industry data. We all know that 'data' can be skewed and twisted to make it mean anything we want.

Not saying it does not exist but I have yet to see any proof of these claims. I also love to be wrong to.

Perhaps to we should ask our resident expert. .... BradG this info and see what he can input. Help debunk the urban legends and myths flying out there and all of uses heard plenty.
Please show every one proof that the plating companies are telling you something different.

If you need "industry data" to prove that chrome is the most popular kit - trust people that sell the kits. Chrome are my best sellers in every line I carry. PSI says that 24K gold is their best selling slimline (and the slimline is still their best selling line) I'd venture a bet that they would say Chrome is their 2nd best seller.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I ask this because as I have started to deal with manufactures overseas & some of them have presented component sets to me as high end with chrome plating.
As soon as I tell them no I would want that component set in Rhodium or Black titanium the price increases 30-45%. I ask them why the large increase and the reply.........now get this "Mr. Robaldo Rhodium is a much more expensive plating and is what all higher priced pens would sell for. NOW MADAM WHY DID YOU TELL ME JUST LESS THAN A HOUR AGO THAT THE COMPONENT IS A HIGH END COMPONENT & YOU WILL MAKE THAT COMPONENT IN CHROME PLATING.
Her answer was to give me a cheaper price. The difference in wholesale pricing from the manufacturer between chrome and Rhodium is substantial.
Go into any Wal-Mart, Staples, or Office depot and you'll find Papermates for less than $5 in chrome hanging on a pegboard rack, in Staples and Office Depot their higher end pens (granted they have just a few)are in locked cases.
Would you buy your wife a diamond ring mounted in a Chrome band?
Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with chrome plating on lower end components but not on what is considered top of the line.
Roy, you personally once told me when we were discussing this subject regarding marketing, that the value of Rhodium over chrome was that rhodium "sounded more high end" when presenting your reasons customers should buy a pen. We had agreed that there was very little difference in look or brightness and that the average buyer would never know the difference unless you told them.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not sure what is being voted on

Is this poll a Yes or No? If I check a block am I saying yes? If so how do I say no? I understand what you are trying to learn Roy but I don't think you worded the poll right to get the answer. While I might want to say I think Chrome can be high end - I might not be willing to pay over $35 for one but I can't do both.

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Is this poll a Yes or No? If I check a block am I saying yes? If so how do I say no? I understand what you are trying to learn Roy but I don't think you worded the poll right to get the answer.

I'm not exactly sure what Roy was hoping to et from this research poll, but you have hit the nail on one of two major problems with it.

Problem 1) 3 of the 4 choices are questions, 1 is a statement. Most people are going to be confused how to answer and due to heavy interpretation their poll answers may not mean what they thought they answered.

Problem 2). The title is yet another question, and most of the initial reaction pat text is anti-chrome. This will also bias the results and push things into other directions.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I hope your information is more accurate than what you posted in the sterling silver thread. Where your interpretation of the law was totally wrong. (I did tell you why in that thread).

OKLAHOMAN

Damn all I asked was "when did chrome become high end" and Ed ,Ed and Mike turned it into my way and my knowledge is right your wrong. I didn't ask the percentage of rhodium in some manufactures plating, Mike , Ed and Ed if you have issues with each other take them the h331 somewhere else.
Ed Brown by the way Ed Street might not have bought large quantities from suppliers but just this week I did to the tune of over 20 G's and that was the reason for the question in the first place as plating was the biggest hurtle so guess which plating
I bought? Hint it wasn't rhodium as the main plating .
Now if any body has something objective please let's get back to the original question so
I can bring to the market place what your wanting. I have no objection to chrome just calling it high end. There's room for Ford Fusion and Maserati

alphageek

Former Moderator
Damn all I asked was "when did chrome become high end" ....... I have no objection to chrome just calling it high end. There's room for Ford Fusion and Maserati

Hmmm.. so your saying chrome is the fusion, not the Maserati? I think there is those that would disagree.... How about a Mercedes Mclaren? A Lamborghini Murcielago? A Ferrari 599? A Bentley Continental GT??

None of those make any sense for the super rich to relate to chrome... oh wait... maybe they do: Chrome cars

TonyL

I think, but I am not sure, that if i box is checked, it represents an affirmative answer to the verbiage to the right of the box.

I think I understand what you mean Roy, and thanks for presenting the question, poll, whatever. :).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Roy,

I have learned to post in the "Exotics" forum if I want to attempt to control the content.
I respect your right to ask, please respect my right to answer on the "open" section of IAP. Believe me, I did not PM Edstreet, or anyone else, to comment.

edstreet

I hope your information is more accurate than what you posted in the sterling silver thread. Where your interpretation of the law was totally wrong. (I did tell you why in that thread).

That was ignored because you do not have a law degree but profess to be one in Canada and the U.S.

Also that's not relevant to this thread on chrome and rhodium.

Roy. I guess the technical answer is when a salesperson is selling snake oil the low quality ingredients is "high quality". In the grand scheme it may not technically be "high grade" but in the lower limited arena of market starvation and gluttony it suddenly becomes "high grade". Marketing ploys and sales tactics makes all the difference in the world in that realm. If said merchant is only peddling chrome then that will be "high grade". As with physics and math we learn limits, min max on the scope of relevance for the equation given.

As for marketing data goes I may have to pull out my excel sheet for some numbers but sadly none of those is related to chrome. So if anyone does have raw numbers that is unmolested by sales and marketing ploys I would love to see hose, double blind data please.

Also with my internet line down atm I am typin in my iPad via forum runner with a bad auto correct and so forth. It's always a huge laugh when someone can only contribute how sucky my typing is so thank you for the very large rounds of laughter had over the remark. It's always a pleasure and treat to see how much people care by posting these things.

OKLAHOMAN

While writing this Smitty and Dean chimed in and Smitty is right as far as look. In the venues that I used to sell in and my way of selling I did not sell chrome as I sold in high end art shows so I marketed my product as jewelry grade so plating was a marketing tool for me. In Classic Nib we also wanted to fill a nitch with higher end products but as time went by we have evolved into full service merchants and the reason for this post was to ask what the majority thought of non jewelry grade platings.
Dean sorry if you think I asked the wron questions

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Damn all I asked was "when did chrome become high end" and Ed ,Ed and Mike turned it into my way and my knowledge is right your wrong. I didn't ask the percentage of rhodium in some manufactures plating, Mike , Ed and Ed if you have issues with each other take them the h331 somewhere else.
Ed Brown by the way Ed Street might not have bought large quantities from suppliers but just this week I did to the tune of over 20 G's and that was the reason for the question in the first place as plating was the biggest hurtle so guess which plating
I bought? Hint it wasn't rhodium as the main plating .
Now if any body has something objective please let's get back to the original question so
I can bring to the market place what your wanting. I have no objection to chrome just calling it high end. There's room for Ford Fusion and Maserati
Roy, the problem is with the wording of the poll. As I said earlier it defies answering.

But so you will know my opinion - I do not think the plating is what makes a pen kit high end it is usually the intricate designs of the bands, caps etc so yes I can think of a high end kit in Chrome plating.

BTW just for information I sell pen kits in Rhodium that are not high end so Rhodium does not automatically make a kit high end.

No I would not personally pay more than $35 wholesale for a kit plated in Chrome but I would pay that much retail (if I were buying retail)

As to the reason that high end kits are going to chrome...my supplier has told me that the wholesale price of Rhodium Caballeros which are not high end will be double what I paid last time around the same for Rhodium Royales. Rhodium is very high priced right now and is in very short supply also industrial uses have been growing - it is even higher priced than Platinum and I think we will be seeing a number of alternative plating choices.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Smitty,

I am afraid there are only so many known manufacturers. Dayacom has shown that "rhodium" can command a premium. Everyone would like to enhance their profit, so if they can convince us "rhodium" is double the price, and we will buy it---why not??

I BELIEVE platinum would be just as "marketable" in the "high end art fairs". But, we all HAD rhodium, so that is what we sold. So, we made the bed that they (manufacturers) now are trying to "cash in on". Let's see what happens if sales of "rhodium" plummet---will the price go down??

Who knows?

alphageek

Former Moderator

I didn't say wrong questions... Just phrased wrong if you wanted others opinions. You posted your bias and made the choices confusing. This means you are going to be less likely to get answers that will be useful to you.

Oh.. and see my other post about chrome and the ultra rich... The chrome industry is HUGE - cars, car accessories, special edition Beats headphones, motorcyle parts and MUCH more. You're biased based on YOUR history. If you really wanted to know about what you might have missed you might want to open you mind to other possible valid answers. If you don't, you'll end up like Mr Streets new sign - Too wrapped up in being right to listen to other answers.

OKLAHOMAN

Damn all I asked was "when did chrome become high end" ....... I have no objection to chrome just calling it high end. There's room for Ford Fusion and Maserati

Hmmm.. so your saying chrome is the fusion, not the Maserati? I think there is those that would disagree.... How about a Mercedes Mclaren? A Lamborghini Murcielago? A Ferrari 599? A Bentley Continental GT??

None of those make any sense for the super rich to relate to chrome... oh wait... maybe they do: Chrome cars

Wow I use an example and you post this, have you read any of my posts in this thread? I have never said chrome is bad. I have not said rhodium is better but there is a difference , a Ford Fusion for most of us is a better choice financially than a Maserati,Bently,Lamborghini but if only:bananen_smilies068::bananen_smilies051:
Chrome has it's place and Rhodium also has its place

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty,

I am afraid there are only so many known manufacturers. Dayacom has shown that "rhodium" can command a premium. Everyone would like to enhance their profit, so if they can convince us "rhodium" is double the price, and we will buy it---why not??

I BELIEVE platinum would be just as "marketable" in the "high end art fairs". But, we all HAD rhodium, so that is what we sold. So, we made the bed that they (manufacturers) now are trying to "cash in on". Let's see what happens if sales of "rhodium" plummet---will the price go down??

Who knows?
I don't think so Ed. I suspect that kit suppliers actually make a better ROI with chrome....

southernclay

Well this went sideways quick.

I didn't vote because I wasn't dead set on any option. However to answer the question the OP asked...Roy I don't see chrome as high end. I have to agree with you on being thrown off by the claim. I don't see it a low end either.

I do think it is a fantastic plating option. The look, durability and price are all
Attractive to me. I don't sell a ton of pens and won't be doing any shows so take it for what it's worth. I can see a high end art show or higher scale venues in general being able to use platings as a sales technique. I have yet to have anyone ask me about it. I have been able to sell stainless as a non played option that I feel customers liked.

Ultimately I have felt there is a trust factor when someone is buying a pen from me. They trust the quality is there but do not necessarily question it.

Hopefully that helps and gets on topic a bit.

edstreet

Note to the general reader. There seems to be vendor baiting and general anger coming out of the various vendor camps on this topic for some reason. The vendor post to non-vendor post is obscene.

OKLAHOMAN

I didn't say wrong questions... Just phrased wrong if you wanted others opinions. You posted your bias and made the choices confusing. This means you are going to be less likely to get answers that will be useful to you.

Oh.. and see my other post about chrome and the ultra rich... The chrome industry is HUGE - cars, car accessories, special edition Beats headphones, motorcyle parts and MUCH more. You're biased based on YOUR history. If you really wanted to know about what you might have missed you might want to open you mind to other possible valid answers. If you don't, you'll end up like Mr Streets new sign - Too wrapped up in being right to listen to other answers.

Once again where did I say one plating was a better plating. Different yes, have different uses yes, on a pen there is no difference in plating only in perceived value. I would guess if I told you a chrome plated Emperor was rhodium most would not know the difference , they both would last,stay bright and give good service, the only difference is once again perceived value.

OKLAHOMAN

I think, but I am not sure, that if i box is checked, it represents an affirmative answer to the verbiage to the right of the box.

I think I understand what you mean Roy, and thanks for presenting the question, poll, whatever. :).

Tony, yes. I had no idea anyone would think otherwise, other than to stir the pot:frown:

jondavidj

when I make a high end on, I prefer rhodium over chrome. This is my opinion. I prefer not to do any chrome unless it is a Sierra or something. I notice a difference. I believe, that rhodium does not scratch either. This is another plus for me. I hope I answered the question Roy, I wouldn't spend over $10 on anything chrome if I didn't have to and I would spend an extra couple of dollars to get rhodium. I understand people don't have the same opinions as me.

edstreet

Your post started it Ed.
Assuming what you say is true does this mean you are not currently filling enough chrome kit orders but instead have to flame little ole me to pass the time??? I'm greatly flattered by your generous offer to entertain myself but I do not ask you to do that nor do I need your help. As stated previously my concern was fabled legends about these two, chrome vs rhodium and the truth of the matter. So far the facts have yet to be revealed and there seems to be more speculation and gossip going on than fact finding. I personally like to see the detail and ignore he drama factory of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom